love

Author Topic: 90s US Round 5: Three Kings vs. Schindler's List  (Read 45851 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: 90s US Round 5: Three Kings vs. Schindler's List
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »
I'm rooting for Three Kings because it probably isn't 4 hours long.

Neither is Schindler's List.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »

You're right, it's only 3 hours long. Still, Three Kings isn't that long, is it?

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »

You're right, it's only 3 hours long. Still, Three Kings isn't that long, is it?

It's just under 2 hours.  And as a participant in this match up I think you should post your verdict FCM.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »
From wikipedia:

"Russell shot the film on Ektachrome slide photography stock, and used the bleach bypass process, both to reproduce "the odd color of the newspaper images [of the Gulf War]." Though the process produced a unique quality to the film, it was exceedingly difficult to develop, and many film labs would not provide insurance for the slide films if they did not develop properly."

Great non-verdict Muse.  I'm rooting for Three Kings. 

Was wondering if you watched a downloaded version, because I really don't remember the film being grainy at all, and as Keith's quote notes, they used exceptionally expensive cameras (usually only used for commercial shoots) when making the film.  Three Kings has an amazing commentary track - you should check it out if you have time.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 02:50:25 PM »
Loved your writeup, FCM. Both movies are great, Three Kings was a bracket discovery for me, and Schindler's is Schindler's. It's a tough matchup. I'm looking forward to your verdict and everyone elses thoughts.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »
Is Three Kings the most surprising movie in the bracket?  It seems everyone watching it for the first time has gone in reluctant to do so.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 03:23:28 PM »
I remember being pleasantly surprised by it when I saw it (circa 2000). It was nothing like I thought it was going to be, and I think people are having a similar reaction.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »
Yeah, it's weird. I'm thinking it has something to do with Russell doing irreparable damage to his reputation with Huackabees and him fighting George Clooney and Christopher Nolan and being nuts etc etc....? It's a shame, because for me the run of Spanking The Monkey, Flirting With Disaster and 3 Kings is as a good career start as any American director since the 70s.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:03 PM »
I wasn't reluctant to go in, but there was no way I expected what I got. It certainly didn't have anything to do with a director reputation. I couldn't've named a single other film by the director, although I have seen, and did like, Huckabees.

I'm surprised it's not shot digitally, and when I said grainy, I don't know exactly what I meant - I suppose I was referring to the look the film creates that's totally it's own. It certainly wasn't a downloaded copy, although again, it may have been a poor DVD transfer.

I suppose the difficult thing in relation to posting a verdict is two-fold. One, I honestly don't know which one to put through. Either of those could eventually easily go on to win the bracket, and that isn't something I've felt in my previous rounds viewing. Secondly, I don't want to post a verdict, and then have a landslide that way. Except I suppose that's a little foolish, especially seeing as I've made clear that I loved both films.

Ok, give me a few hours. I'll mull it over, and post something final soon.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 09:52:22 PM »
Ok, so I have a verdict. I've thought long and hard about it, and using several criteria, there is one movie that comes out more and more above the other.

Which film surprised me more? Well, Schindler's List impressed me with how good it was. Three Kings actively surprised me.
Which film did I have more fun with? Three Kings, easy.
Which film is more nuanced? As well as Spielberg does creating a nuanced film with difficult material, it's Three Kings again.

And finally, if someone said to me, I have Three Kings and Schindler's List and time to watch only one. Which film should they watch? Well, even tho I think Schindler's List is perhaps more important, I'd say to go with Three Kings. And while I would be sad if Schindler's List was never seen again, I think Three Kings is the movie that I would like to see continue on.

So my vote goes to Three Kings.

love