Author Topic: May/June Book Club Options  (Read 6607 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: May/June Book Club Options
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 11:13:04 PM »
edgar, how do you feel about the Eugenides or At Swim, Two Boys?

I'm not edgar,

And I hope you never try to be. I don't care how objectively awesome you are or what kind of figment from my imagination you are, we'd simply be done professionally.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 12:52:33 AM »
The Swimming Boys book is Irish? I'm taking an Irish lit class next semester. Consider me down for that one especially strong.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 12:59:20 AM »
I'd say it looks highly, highly likely that At Swim, Two Boys will be what we'll go with. I'll wait a few more days tho to see if anyone else chimes in with any thoughts. We'd have to get quite a strong push for the Eugenides at this stage I would say tho.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »
I'd say it looks highly, highly likely that At Swim, Two Boys will be what we'll go with. I'll wait a few more days tho to see if anyone else chimes in with any thoughts. We'd have to get quite a strong push for the Eugenides at this stage I would say tho.

I am picking this one up from the library tomorrow. If it turns out to be the Eugenides, I have it here already. I am so looking f/w to this.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »
I picked up At Swim, Two Boys today.  I am really going to try and finish this one.  I started The Moviegoer, and it has just languished on my nightstand.  I really want to finish that one too.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »
I'm done with Ch. 1 and accg. to pixote, it should be all smooth sailing from here on!

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »
Yep, looks like we'll be going with At Swim, Two Boys. I'm heading out to pick up a copy in the next coupla minutes, and I'll put together a discussion thread when I get back.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 09:02:47 PM »
As I told worm, the first chapter is rough going.  We start with a minor character and his chapters have a different, more difficult voice than the majority of the novel.  We I first bought the book, I read the first chapter that night then didn't pick the book back up for six months or something.  Once I finally did, I read the whole thing in a day or maybe two.  Totally absorbing.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad