love

Author Topic: Filmspotters top 100 DVDs  (Read 2623 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Filmspotters top 100 DVDs
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:43:27 AM »
Good everyone.

This past week in the chat room when a few filmspotters and I were discussion the next Top 100 list (directors), a couple people brought up another Top 100 which I thought had lost interest. The topic being Top 100 DVDs.

Now I'm open to administrating this list. However, I don't remember filmspotters being overly enthusiastic about it. So I am asking you again, and probably for the last time, would you like to make this happen or not? I won't be too sad if we don't make this happen, but I thought it would be interesting.

Think of DVDs as a full package. A film is one thing, but a DVD can contain informative material about the filmmaking process (either via making of featurettes or audio commentaries), interesting deleted scenes, educational documentaries further exploring a subject the movie touched upon, features which spotlight the film's director or leading actor/actress, features about the translation of book to cinema. To top it all off, the physical disc itself oftentimes arrives in elaborate packaging which catches the eye. In a few instances there are bonuses thrown in, such as short essays, 10-20 page booklets about the production, and even small figurines.

What are the DVDs you purchased that made you think, 'Yup, I just made a really good purchase, I definitely got my money's worth,' Of course it helps when the movie or television show or other program (basically the main feature) is to your liking, but I'd like you to think of when the entire DVD product, not just the movie, was to your satisfaction.

An example would be, say, The Lord of the Rings extended edition. Not only is the movie loved by many, but it comes in an attractive box and includes exhaustive bonus material. Woody Allen films, as fun and intelligent as they, rarely arrive on DVD with anything other the feature film. The former, with enough votes, could find itself on the list. The latter would not fit the bill.

One more note: If I am to take the time to compile lists, I need a decent amount of offers from filmspotters. My quota is 30. If ffewer than 30 of you don't send in individual lists, then I'm not doing this. I'd like this to be fairly representative of the opinions found here at filmspotting, and I believe that even only 30 is pushing it pretty low. So 30 is the magic number. message me or reply in this thread to tell me what you think. Or even better, send me a list of your own (a top 20) to make your participation official right off the bat.

Thanks.

Deadline: Sunday, November 30th, 2008.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:53:15 PM by edgarchaput »
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Filmspotters top 100 DVDs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »
I'm in!
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 01:49:11 PM »
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 03:35:53 PM »
I'll do it but I really doubt you'll get 30 people to submit lists.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »
I'm game. Alien Quadrilogy for the win!  ;D

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »
Very well. I therefore invite filmspotters to send me a list featuring their 20 favorite DVDs.

I'm setting the deadline two weeks from today. Therefore The final date to submit a list is Sunday, November 30th 2008 (inclusively).
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/