Author Topic: Twitter Movie Reviews  (Read 755 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Twitter Movie Reviews
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:03:54 PM »
Okay, pour your heart into understanding a movie-- but give your take in 140 characters or less! 

I watched a number of movies this week and decided to do exactly that, not having time to fully review all of them. 

So here's my examples-- can you do the same?

Welcome Back, Mr. McDonald—Madcap Japanese comedy about a radio script gone very wrong.  ***

Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner? (1967)—Really funny comedy of manners. Spencer Tracey great in his last role.  ****

The Three Faces of Eve—The discovery and cure of a woman with MPD.  Joanne Woodward is great. ***

Crimes and Misdemeanors—Philosophical consideration on the true nature of morality.   Lots of great acting and symbols. ***1/2

Idiocracy—Dumb people humor on a societal scale.  Funny but not great. **1/2

Eragon—For those who missed A New Hope so much that they wanted it in fantasy form, here it is!  **1/2

My Own Private Idaho—A brilliant script by Van Saint and Shakespeare about male prostitutes.  ****

Shrek—Great lines, great characters, just all around entertaining. Watch it again.  ****

The Tale of Despereaux—Wonderfully created, if simplistic story about courage and forgiveness. As many stars as Hollywood sidewalks. ****

Sunset Blvd.—Classic film, must see.  William Holden starts out fake, but soon warms to his excellent role. ****

Liar Liar— Over-the-top Jim Carrey affair.  Not deep, just funny, and that’s good enough. ****

K-PAX—Science fiction or psychological investigation?  Doesn’t matter.  Moving. ***1/2

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest—Great action, but without any charm. **1/2

The Mask of Zorro—A lot of fun and sword choreography.  Don’t look for depth, though, as if you would. ***1/2

Cars—Great characters in a well-paced movie about selfishness and community.  It was better the second time. ****

Tremors—Really fun movie based around 50’s horror flicks.  Everyone’s just having a good time.  ***1/2

Sunshine (2004)—Intense sci-fi by Danny Boyle.  A bit slow at first, but stick with it.  ****

Pirates of the Caribbean: World's End--They found the charm of the first in the last hour, but you need a card to track the betrayals ***1/2
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Twitter Movie Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:28:25 AM »
Cars—Great characters in a well-paced movie about selfishness and community.  It was better the second time. ****

This review makes me happy. Cars gets so much crap, but it really is saved by its great characters and its calm pacing. It's one of the few movies I find myself enjoying more and more everytime I see it.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Twitter Movie Reviews
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:34:01 AM »
More:

The Beast With A Billion Backs- Take one 25 minute Futureama show and stretch it to 90 minutes. Boring. **

8 1/2- Self-referential, autobiographical, human. Hits the head and the heart. One of the best films I've ever seen. *****

Once Upon A Time In The West- Nice, slow pacing gives us time to feel. Charles B, Henry F, Jason R: need I say more? ***1/2

Being John Malkovich- Good story, good ideas, but not one sympathetic character. Why do I care about what happens to them? ***1/2

Before Sunrise- No action, no sex, no special effects. Just a beautiful relationship, pure and simple. And Vienna. ***1/2

Before Sunset- Another conversation after our characters have grown up a bit. Really intense for a film that is only conversation. ****

Twelve Monkeys- Fatalistic time travel movie. Terry Gilliam's surrealism didn't seem to fit the story's realism. Good, but not fun. ***

Three Colors: Blue- Amazing. Visually stunning. Finally, a French movie about a terrible tragedy that turns into hope. ****

Forgetting Sarah Marshall-Too much sex for a movie which says that sex isn't all that a relationship's about. Follow up to Notting Hill? ***

Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band (1978)-- Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees commit Beaticide. *

Across The Universe-- Fun musical, but proof again that the only people who should do the Beatle's music is the Beatles. ***

The Lost Weekend—An Academy Award winning sermon against alcoholism **1/2

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky