Author Topic: 90s US Round 6: Trust vs. Reservoir Dogs (Deadline: May 25)  (Read 22024 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: 90s US Round 6: Trust vs. Reservoir Dogs (Deadline: May 24)
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 08:26:24 PM »
Okay, here's when we get to the decision and explanation. I was torn, it took a long time to reach a choice because both films are so similar yet so different, and I do not think the difference in quality is that apparent, it starts to come down to personal preference, but even then the differences make that hard. First I'd like to say that the claim that Reservoir Dogs becomes less entertaining when you know what happens is insane, from a technical perspective there is more than enough in that film to keep going back and finding new things, whether in the performances, direction, or any extraneous aspects one may bring in for a critical analysis of the film, to demonstrate that it's a damn fine film. I think the same can be said about Trust, but I think all the symbolism in Trust is the balancing factor to how great the dialogue is in Reservoir Dogs. Usually I hate one liners, but the way they are delivered and written in Reservoir Dogs is brilliant, add that to the wonderful stand alone dialogue and I think this really stacks up perfectly against Trust's depth.

Yet here's the deciding factor for me. Trust is such a consistent film, it has highs, it doesn't have any lows or slow sections, and its peaks are nice, but the peaks in Reservoir Dogs are just so damn high that the noticeable lows absent in Trust are almost unnoticeable. Here's the thing though, I think the same thing can be said, almost, about Blonde on Blonde in comparison to Highway 61 Revisited. Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands is almost enough to make up for Rainy Day Women and, to a much much much lesser extent, Just Like A Woman because Sad Eyed Lady is so damn strong and so damn powerful and so damn impressive and so damn beautiful. But on the other side you have Desolation Row, which trumps that song, and a much more consistent record, and I'd argue that just about all the songs on Highway 61 are better than Blonde on Blonde's songs anyway. But I'm getting away from my point, my bad. Trust has no Desolation Row, but I've also never been one to take many risks, I can admire and love consistent.

Reservoir Dogs B+ or 4.258792714372814523659
Trust B+ or 4.29271462371456792356195328156
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:30:02 PM by FLYmeatwad »

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »

I didn't know there was going to be math ???

Very nice writeups Fly.  I enjoyed reading them :)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 11:18:33 PM »

I didn't know there was going to be math ???

Very nice writeups Fly.  I enjoyed reading them :)

Thank you friend. Don't let the avatar fool you, I can write a lot to make it seem like I am actually talking about something when I really need to  :)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »
I own Reservoir Dogs and might get my hands on Trust tomorrow, so who knows, I may play a part in this by the deadline.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 03:05:15 AM »
On Reservoir Dogs

Enjoying some of the little details this time around, like the way Mr. White is able to tease Joe and, later, Mr. Orange quickly repeating, with little context, "She had a baby."

Those low-angle point-of-view shots of Mr. Pink when he first gets to the warehouse feel so wrong.  To be expected in a directorial debut but still odd when the rest of opening is so assured.

Also, where does Mr. White go when Mr. Pink asks for a cigarette?  Did he leave the prop off-screen by mistake or something?  Is this covered by the commentary?  edit: I guess it's not his first time at this warehouse, given that he later knows that the bathroom is upstairs.  edit: Ah, they've all been there before.  The scene where Joe assigns their names.

pixote
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 04:25:09 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 04:54:26 AM »
One more minor confusing thing about the film: Sort of like the number of replicants in Blade Runner (before the final cut), the number of guys on the job seems to vary.  I wonder if that was a late change to the script.  Not a big deal, it's just weird when Joe talks about five guys wondering how they ended up in jail then hands out six names.  And the poster refers to "five total strangers" too.

Incidentally, the idea that White, Blonde, and Pink have all known Joe forever without having met themselves is a bit suspect, but whatever.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 08:11:18 AM »
btw - with monday being all holidayish (here) any way for a one day extension on the DL?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 10:53:19 AM »
btw - with monday being all holidayish (here) any way for a one day extension on the DL?

Congrats on 10K!

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 10:56:04 AM »
I don't like where this is headed.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »
I don't like where this is headed.

After the trashing of RD earlier I wanted to vote for it, but I could not.