Author Topic: 90s US Round 6: Trust vs. Reservoir Dogs (Deadline: May 25)  (Read 22041 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: 90s US Round 6: Trust vs. Reservoir Dogs (Deadline: May 24)
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
First I'd like to say that the claim that Reservoir Dogs becomes less entertaining when you know what happens is insane, from a technical perspective there is more than enough in that film to keep going back and finding new things, whether in the performances, direction, or any extraneous aspects one may bring in for a critical analysis of the film, to demonstrate that it's a damn fine film.

Technical soundness doesn't float my boat :)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: 90s US Round 6: Trust vs. Reservoir Dogs (Deadline: May 24)
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »
First I'd like to say that the claim that Reservoir Dogs becomes less entertaining when you know what happens is insane, from a technical perspective there is more than enough in that film to keep going back and finding new things, whether in the performances, direction, or any extraneous aspects one may bring in for a critical analysis of the film, to demonstrate that it's a damn fine film.

Technical soundness doesn't float my boat :)

:-\  >:(  :'(

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: 90s US Round 6: Trust vs. Reservoir Dogs (Deadline: May 25)
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
btw - with monday being all holidayish (here) any way for a one day extension on the DL?

Good call.  Done!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 02:44:48 PM »
btw - with monday being all holidayish (here) any way for a one day extension on the DL?

Good call.  Done!

pixote

Awesome.  I was going camping this weekend, now I might be able to make the deadline.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 02:12:10 PM »
This thread needs more verdicts!  >:(

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »
I envision at least one more decision.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 10:19:19 AM »
This thread needs more verdicts!  >:(

I only read one so far.  Am I missing anything?

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 10:29:44 AM »
Looks like me and Fly are backing Trust... nothing else for certain yet.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 10:32:54 AM »
Looks like me and Fly are backing Trust... nothing else for certain yet.

I trust that Trust is going to win before being brought down by Goodfellas next round.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 02:26:49 PM »
I've got a cold, so I'm going to make this brief.

I wrote extensively about Reservoir Dogs earlier: it's great.

This is the first time I've seen Trust.  It's my third Hal Hartley film (also seen Henry Fool and Simple Men, liked the first, love the second).  Like those other films, it's stagey, fun quirky and actually rather forgettable.  I've seen Simple Men at least four times, and barely have any idea what its about, I just know I really like it.  Similarly, I saw Trust two weeks ago, and really don't remember much of that great dialogue.  I'm just left with the feeling that I had a good time watching it.  Maybe that's Hartley, maybe its something with my brain, I don't know.

As for problems with the film, I had a couple: the ending I think is really silly, actually, any scene with the grenade is pretty lame.  Shelly seems like she's playing a different character in the opening scenes than she is at any other time in the film.  Her character doesn't transform after meeting Donovan, she changes instantly into his ideal girl, which is weird.  Much of the mother's motivation doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and her scheme to trap Donovan in bed with Edie Falco so Shelly can see them is really dumb.  I like the way Shelly plays its resolution, but Falco's actions don't really make any sense ("hey there's a passed out guy in my bed!  guess I'll take my clothes off too!")

It's a really good movie.  I can't say I'm in love with it, as so many others in this bracket have seemed to have fallen. It's really hard to emotionally connect to something that's so intentionally artificial, stagey and written, and so it's to Hartley's credit that he's able to inspire that in so many viewers.  Similarly, despite the very writtenness of the film, its the emotions that linger for me as well (part of why I find his film's so hard to remember, perhaps).

Anyway, Trust is a very good film.  But it's not better than Unforgiven, Dead Man, Eyes Wide Shut or Reservoir Dogs.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"