love

Author Topic: 90s US Round 6: Magnolia vs. Ghost Dog (Deadline: May 31)  (Read 16447 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: 90s US Round 6: Magnolia vs. Ghost Dog (Deadline: May 31)
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 01:32:53 AM »
OK decision time:  I gotta go with Ghost Dog.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will matter.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 04:19:00 AM »
...There’s an interesting sense that the mob figures, the old Italian guys, are trying to live out their GoodFellas fantasies, despite they fact they never really seem to be much more than small time. I mean, they’re three months behind on the rent. That’s not what we expect of this situation...
Glad you pointed that out.  That's the first clue you get that this is not going to be your average movie mob family.  I liked that.

...I liked the interaction between Ghost Dog and his French friend. Unlike a lot of people, I liked seeing the subtitles, because it suggests that even tho they don’t share a verbal language, these characters do share a universal one. They say the same things, they’re thinking the same things, and it shows a universality to this...
That's a very good point.  And even with my curiousity about the subtitles I still think the relationship between those three is this it eh strongest and most unique part of the film.

...For me this is harder than expected, but still pretty easy. Ferris said he didn’t really feel there was a lot of depth to Ghost Dog, or at least that’s how I’m reading his verdict, which I’m sure is some kind of gross misappropriation. For me, that’s really not the case. I think Jarmusch has made something with a lot of depth, something to really review and analyse. And most importantly, I think he’s justified himself in remaking one of the most awesome movies ever.

I guess and the end of the day this is what I'm saying - but I don't feel good making that criticism about a movie that was original, defied my expectations and painted a such a unique character, and so honorably.  You've got me very curious about  Le Samourai
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 04:22:19 AM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 05:31:16 AM »
I'd say you should be more than curious. Le Samourai is just fantastic.

And yeah, I think I understand the direction you're coming from. I'd say, in a few months, maybe when you've seen Le Samourai, come back and watch this again, and I think you'll maybe get more out of it.

I personally really felt that Jarmusch was using an established story to try and create something deeper, a deeper reading of American culture. And for that, I do give him a lot of props.

sdedalus, if you've got some time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Ghost Dog, and maybe if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree or not. (No pun intended.)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 05:36:20 AM »
sdedalus, if you've got some time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Ghost Dog, and maybe if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree or not. (No pun intended.)
A few thoughts from Round 5.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 05:37:50 AM »
A few thoughts from Round 5.

pixote
Do you know what the odd part is? I've already read that.

I feel kinda... stupid.

The good news is, I mostly agree with what he said. I think Jarmusch has made an incredibly detailed, layered film, and does deserve a lot of credit. I'm glad to have seen it.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 05:43:35 AM »
Thanks for that link Pixote, in fact I enjoyed reading your reviews in that thread as well.  I'm glad you pointed out those parallel scenes of the cop pulling over the mob guys and Ghost Dog stopping for those hunters.

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »
US Eastern Standard this round is closed.    Did we have enough verdicts?   

(switchboard)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2009, 12:00:09 AM »
Pago Pago still hours hours of daylight to go.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2009, 12:03:27 AM »
Junior should clairfy his verdict so we can see exactly where we stand.  If three people besides me (I'm getting the Magnolia DVD tomorrow — either for this round or next) are still interested in this matchup but need a short extension, I think that'd be okay.  Otherwise we can probably declare this matchup done and shift focus to My Own Private Idaho vs. Lost Highway.

So, _Keith_, you're still interested, right?  Emiliana?  Anyone else?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2009, 12:05:08 AM »
just reading other verdicts now to write appropriately.  I've made my decicion.