Author Topic: 90s US Round 6: My Own Private Idaho vs. Lost Highway (Deadline: June 14)  (Read 28970 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
This matchup is open to anyone who can revisit the films and post a verdict by 11:59pm Hawaii time (GMT -9) on Sunday, June 14.

If these two films end up tied at that deadline, Clovis8 will then cast the tiebreaking verdict.

pixote
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:51:05 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
If you haven't watched Lost Highway yet, don't watch this clip. But when you have, and you're feeling a little confused, come back here.  :)
http://www.strimoo.com/video/14185195/David-Lynch-parle-de-Lost-Highway-Dailymotion.html
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

philip918

• Elite Member
That was awesome  :)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
I've never seen either of these (in their entirety) so I'm really going to try to do this one.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
I have a bit of a selfish request.  I haven't seen either one of these films, and I really want to participate in this verdict, but I am extremely busy this weekend.  I was wondering if we can extend the deadline to Monday, June 8, so I can post a verdict.  :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 10:39:52 PM by ses593 »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
I have a bit of a selfish request.  I haven't seen either one of these films, and I really want to participate in this verdict, but I am extremely busy this weekend.  I was wondering if we can extend the deadline to Monday, June 8, so I can post a verict.  :)

Done!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
I have a bit of a selfish request.  I haven't seen either one of these films, and I really want to participate in this verdict, but I am extremely busy this weekend.  I was wondering if we can extend the deadline to Monday, June 8, so I can post a verdict.  :)

Done!

pixote

Yay!  Thanks!

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Cool, that helps me too. Thanks, ses and pix.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Hmm, if I knew things were so busy for everyone I would have made myself watch Lost Highway.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
Lost Highway (David Lynch, 1997)

I think that Lost Highway starts out like other Lynch films I have seen.  Strange things are happening, and I don't know what's going on.  I think that Lynch is extremely effective at the beginning of this film at creating an ominous tone.  The videotapes are disturbing, and Robert Blake's "Mystery Man" is downright creepy.  The film started to lose me a bit when I got to the second half of the story, but with the re-introduction of Patricia Arquette, I was involved in the story again, well, to an extent.  I never feel completely connected to his films, mainly because I am lost half of the time, which I think makes me feel a bit detached.  That necessarily isn't a bad thing, it is just a different viewing experience for me than other films.  And the ending...well, it's ambiguous and weird, I would expect nothing less.

Technically, I think the film is edited and lit extremely well.  The whole thing is loud and frenetic, and I liked that.  I think that both the score and the soundtrack are a perfect fit for the story.  The updates of this Magic Moment and I Put a Spell on You added to the mood of the film. 

I am glad that I finally watched  I started it about a year ago, and was tired, and not in the mood to pay close attention to it, and I don't know if I ever would have watched it again if not for this bracket.

Tomorrow, thoughts on My Own Private Idaho and the verdict!