Author Topic: 90s US Round 6: Three Kings vs. Goodfellas (Deadline: August 9)  (Read 23828 times)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: 90s US Round 6: Three Kings vs. Goodfellas (Deadline: June 21)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 10:25:20 PM »
pix is away i guess... so... extension granted!

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:05:27 AM »

Erm.. yeah... don't all rush to post at once, people.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 12:29:03 PM »

Thanks.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »
I hope there are going to be some verdicts, I don't want to have to break the 0-0 tie.  ;)
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »
I'm gunna turn on GF right now. I think maybe I'll get a verdict in tomorrow.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »
Goodfellas

I love all the time spent developing Henry's character early in the film. Despite all of the bad stuff he ends up doing, I still have a sense that he's not truly evil. This is what makes a 3 hour about a gangster watchable. I look at Henry as being caught up in a whirlwind. "Here I am, a little kid, parking Cadillacs", "I knew everyone and everyone knew me". At his age, could I have resisted that sort of money, the popularity, and the purpose? It's only later in life, once he's neck deep, that he can look back and see the path he came down. And this is where the narration comes into play. It's not boastful, but honest. You can sense the regret, the enthusiasm, the pride, the remorse and everything else. He was bit of a naive kid, a bit of a cruel twenty-something year old, but we've all had stages in our lives where we look back and see how crazy we acted. He's going through the same thing anybody goes through, it's just that his environment is different than most peoples. Even Karen, who enters Henry's world as adult, quickly gets used to the idea that her husband is a criminal. She says herself "it was more like henry was enterprising" as she reflects on how normal it all felt. I think it's a potent lesson about how easy it is to get caught up in things and be totally unaware of it happening. You only realize it was thin ice after you fall in the water.

The characters in Goodfellas feel more human than most, and yet it's a film about gangsters.

I'll go over Three Kings tomorrow.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 05:27:25 PM »
Three Kings

I'm not sure if this is a good film or a great one. I think it's charm is starting to wear off on me, so it's hard to tell. It might be the third time I've watched it now, and it doesn't have quite the same replay value as Goodfellas. Also, I find that my interest peaks about halfway through.  :-\ Once they have the gold it all gets a little less exciting. It's a full 30 minutes shorter than GF, but feels longer. I think this is a film everyone should watch once. You'll have fun.

As for the films it knocked off, I'd say it deserved to make round five. Knocking off Schindler's List though, I would've voted against it in that matchup, and I'm voting against it now.

Goodfellas 1 - Three Kings 0

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 09:19:08 AM »
Now that Goodfellas is up 1-0 it feels like the only verdicts we're likely to see are those in favour of Three Kings. And if Three Kings takes the lead then some pro-Goodfellas verdicts might come in...

If match-ups aren't assigned it feels like we might as well just run a poll.  :-\ Because at this point the films have been so thoroughly covered, whose going to bother to watch both films and write in a verdict if it isn't going to change the outcome?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:23:27 AM by smirnoff »

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 09:23:48 AM »
I do mean to post some thoughts sometime soon. Possibly Saturday. I'm not sure if I have much to add that can't be inferred from my previous verdicts.

I think the issue is, simply due to the nature of the bracket, so many of us have seen so many of these films, and pretty recently in most cases. I saw both these films in the last 3 months or so, and posted thoughts then. There does seem to have been a trailing off of momentum in the last month or so for the bracket tho.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 09:24:44 AM »
Junior will vote against Goodfellas. I don't know who else will though. It's going to be Goodfellas and Magnolia in the finals now that My Own Private Idaho is out.