Author Topic: 90s US Round 6: Three Kings vs. Goodfellas (Deadline: August 9)  (Read 23495 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: 90s US Round 6: Three Kings vs. Goodfellas (Deadline: June 21)
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 09:25:19 AM »
I think the issue is, simply due to the nature of the bracket, so many of us have seen so many of these films, and pretty recently in most cases. I saw both these films in the last 3 months or so, and posted thoughts then. There does seem to have been a trailing off of momentum in the last month or so for the bracket tho.

Exactly... not sure how we could address this.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »
Junior will vote against Goodfellas. I don't know who else will though.
Right. So long as GF is in the lead, it's going to mostly draw verdicts of people who want it to lose. Let's face it, it can be a bit of a chore to watch two films you've watched so recently and then come up with something to say, what with so many other unwatched films in people libraries.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:28:30 AM by smirnoff »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 09:30:01 AM »
I'm not trying to poop all over the system. I just think it might need some tweaking....

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 10:28:10 AM »
I could go either way on these films; I'm a fan of both. I just haven't had the time to watch 3 Kings.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »
I am the tie break vote, or else I would write up a verdict.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »
I've re-watched Goodfellas and recently watched Three Kings, been meaning to start talking about this matchup. Hopefully tonight.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »
I have watched both, I'll post my verdict soon.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 10:50:58 PM »

The opening two minutes set an irreverent tone that immediately grabbed my attention. “Are we shooting people, or what?”, unlike your typical war film, our characters are unsure; their heroism is uncertain. The first forty five minutes of Three Kings is pretty cool. It’s a good mix of comedy and action, and does a pretty decent job of not falling into typical war movie clichés. In this first half it’s neither a preachy anti-war film, nor is it a ra-ra war is glorious film. It operates in the cynical zone, and I like that.

Three Kings is at its best for the first hour, after that things lull and a lot of the comedy and action that grabbed my attention disappear.  Not that I loved all that comedy, some of it was kind of snarky, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but some of the snarkiness wasn’t exactly fresh. And nobody likes stale snarky.

In the second half of the film, things get a lot more serious and the finale feels very Hollywood, and not in a good way. Is anybody moved by our three kings' sacrifice? Personally I was a lot more compelled when their motivations were self serving. I guess they need to like grow and stuff, and hey Russell wants to sell some tickets, but for me the film was a lot more interesting when it was cynical and satirical. Ultimately having our band of brothers depicted as liberators feels like a cheat and is a lot less satisfying from the initial, more nuanced perspective. Early on Clooney’s character states, “I don’t even know what we did in this war”, by the end he and his buddies do what the president wouldn’t. Without going too skjerva on all your asses, the ending of the film misreads American intervention in the region as insufficient humanitarianism and neglects the strategic motivations. With that said however, all in all, a good movie.

Some random stuff:

Clooney’s dialogue, sometimes feels like it’s from a different movie, very mannered. Or more specifically Three Kings is several different kinds of movie in one, which really isn't a criticism, I just found Clooney's long-winded speeches to be a bit distracting sometimes.

I like Nora Dunn here. This is a nice little supporting role for her. I’ve always been a big fan of this and it was nice to see her again.

Jamie Kennedy is a bad idea. It’s not his fault, he’s doing what he’s hired to do, but I think he’s completely unnecessary because Dunn is already plenty funny in their scenes. Also, don’t we already have the simple hayseed covered with the Spike Jonze part?

That U2 song over the closing credits is a weird choice.

Some random pictures:

To Goodfellas
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 03:56:07 PM by matt the movie watcher »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 10:58:41 PM »
Well said. I was nodding in agreement for while reading. We disagree on all that random stuff though strangely. Except Nora Dunn, she was great.

Personally I was a lot more compelled when their motivations were self serving.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 12:26:37 AM »
We disagree on all that random stuff though strangely.
I like Clooney in the movie, I just thought some of his dialogue was over written. And I think Jamie Kennedy is a funny guy, just not here.

Personally I was a lot more compelled when their motivations were self serving.

:)