Musicals
5 (19.2%)
Herzog/Kinski
7 (26.9%)
Screwball
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 21, 2006, 04:27:00 PM

Author Topic: Favourite Marathon so far?  (Read 7255 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Favourite Marathon so far?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 03:04:41 PM »
I don't usually participate in the marathons, usually because I've already seen most of the movie's.  So the Overlooked Auteurs was my favorite because I hadn't seen half of them (Floating Weeds and the Tarkovskys) and also because it inspired my own, ongoing, Overlooked Auteurs marathon.  Since then I've watched multiple films by Bresson, Dreyer, Godard, Fellini, Wong, Suzuki, Okamoto, Kobayashi, Powell and Herzog that I probably wouldn't have watched if not for that initial Cinecast marathon.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 03:17:20 PM »
That gets me thinking: did someone mention a Michael Powell marathon? I've only seen Peeping Tom but would like to see more.

Boopie

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 03:54:38 PM »
I don't follow along with the Marathons because I rarely find the time or cash to do so, but among the marathons so far, the Hitchcock and Musicals marathons are the ones with the most movies I've seen which is always fun, but it's also fun when I haven't seen the movies so I can discover new movies I've never heard of (Herzog/Kinski were complete unknowns to me before Filmspotting).

That being said, I enjoyed the Musicals marathon most in terms of Filmspotting reviews because I just found it so enjoyable to listen to two guys with Goodfellas, Blade Runner and Batman appearing in so many Top 5s rave about my heroes, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Liza Minelli and Gene Kelly...among others. It was just so much fun to listen to. And it's great that Adam and Sam have such an open mind. :)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 07:35:48 PM »
Quote from: "wowser"
That gets me thinking: did someone mention a Michael Powell marathon? I've only seen Peeping Tom but would like to see more.

A Powell marathon would be great.  From The Thief of Baghdad to Peeping Tom with Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes in-between.

With a couple of Stairway To Heaven, The 49th Parallel, I Know Where I'm Going, A Canterbury Tale, Tales Of Hoffman and The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp to round it out.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Kilroy'sCarnival

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 08:50:27 PM »
Yes, someone else posted a Michael Powell marathon request just about the same day I posted a Powell-Pressburger marathon. I just watched A Canterbury Tale last weekend.  Been doing my own slow marathon of their collaborations. They're not all available on DVD here in the States yet; Criterion still seems to be cranking them out. I keep hoping our hosts will clue us in as to whether they've seen any of their films, so we know whether a marathon is viable.

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 01:20:18 PM »
Powell-Pressburger marathon sounds good, i've only seen a couple of those... I hope they do another 3 directors - 2 movies each marathon, because 6 weeks the same director can get a bit boring (even if it's Herzog)... and I hope Satyajit Ray's "Pather Panchali" would be featured (part of the original auteurs marathon), because i have the VHS tape sitting around for about 8 years now and still haven't watched it....

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 01:55:58 PM »
Maybe it's more because all the Kinski/Herzog films are quite similar. I'd rather have a strong link like that than a vague strand golding them all together ('animation' marathon).

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 11:29:28 PM »
The only marathon I particpated in all the way through was the western marathon, and I thought that marathon had the best movies. But I think the best Filmspotting discussions came out of the Herzog/Kinski marathon, so I voted for that one. Unfortunately, my Netflix queue is clogged as it is, so I still haven't gotten around to any of the Herzog films.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 01:00:29 PM »
Maybe it's more because all the Kinski/Herzog films are quite similar. I'd rather have a strong link like that than a vague strand golding them all together ('animation' marathon).

Well, as always it comes down to personal opinion. I like to stuff to spread way out... for example, to me the Western marathon would have improved by watching "El Topo", not by watching only John Ford Movies in the correct order...

JoshuaOst

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 03:56:09 PM »
I have to agree with Alex that I don't like the melodrama that you see in a lot of old films.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald