Author Topic: Top 5 Books that should be movies  (Read 15402 times)

Totoro

Re: Top 5 Books that should be movies
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2012, 04:20:35 AM »
Plays are meant to be seen, not read.

Comic books are like storyboards for a movie.

We all experienced 9/11. Not all of us have read Ender's Game. One story has happened, whether we like it or not, that will be passed down from generation to generation. Not everyone will read Ender's Game. So, maybe non-fiction is a bad way of putting it and historical events is a better way to put it.

If J.D. Salinger meant to write Catcher in the Rye as a film, he would of wrote a screenplay. His text is meant to be read, not seen and that's as far as his creator intent goes. Film and literature are two drastic different mediums.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2012, 07:47:46 AM »
Don't agree - a story is a story and it can be interpreted in many ways.
Why is Shakespeare considered great literature then?
Hey, nice marmot!

Totoro

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2012, 06:46:39 PM »
Because people are stupid!

Should we call Rembrandt a great photographer?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
That's silly, cameras weren't around in Rembrandt's time. :)

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2013, 01:23:59 AM »
CS Lewis' Cosmic Trilogy. 3 very different novels with common threads and the same main character. The first one is like John Carter meets Planet of the Apes meets The Tree of Life. The second one is a grittier version of the Genesis Creation story set in space. And the third one is just...CINECAST!ing insane. Set on earth, with Merlin, and angels...and a bear.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:43 AM »
That would be a crazy trilogy. Out of the Silent Planet is one of my favorite sci-fi books. It's got a bizarre sense of place I rarely find in most sci-fi books.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2017, 07:52:23 AM »
Was going to create this Top 5 but it appears I have been beaten to it.

I rarely read a "regular" book and wish it would be adapted. I think those instances where I most see potential for a movie to add something to what the book does is when the story takes place in a world that is alien in some way, ie historical novels, fantasy and sci-fi. The world their plots take place in are so visually distinct from what one is able to imagine, and there are so many details one must constantly remind oneself of, that there is a definite value in giving movie birth to those stories. Jackson's Balrog may not 100% correspond to the words of Tolkien, but at least it gives a striking idea of what it could look like, which is more than my head has been able to produce about a number of fictional characters. I litterally have no idea what anything in Dune is supposed to look like, but in that case I blame Herbert, because he was not the best at providing descriptions.

This opens the door, however, to me grunting and mumbling about things that look nothing like what's written in the book, like how everyone in Game of Thrones is ten years older than their book counterparts, how Linklage is way too good looking to be Tyrion and a whole bunch of other stuff that make me any group's grumpy uncle. And that's without even mentioning how the stories themselves would be adapted.

Anyway, my Top 5:

1. A 15 season series about Ancient Rome from the Punic Wars to the death of Nero.
2. Select passages of the Silmarillion, namely the ones featuring the major conflicts against Melkor, in trilogy format.
3. Either Mistborn or the Stormlight Archive, though I like the latter much better.
Possible director: Mistborn - Joss Whedon
4. Gaijin or Musabashi or any other decent novel in feudal Japan.
Possible director: Park Chan-wook
5. The Malazan Book of the fallen with the obligation to cast people of the right skin colour for all the humans - except when they're blue.

Things that have been adapted since the inception of this thread:

Blindness - by Jose Saramago.  An amazing book about a city struck by a plague of white blindness.  A lone woman retains her sight and she leads a group of people through the, basically, post-apocalyptic city.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel - by Sussana Clark.  One of the best fantasy novels I've ever read.  Filled with inventive and powerful visuals.  Plus, opportunities for a stellar cast.  I think this is already in the early stages of production, which is a shame because I really want to direct this one.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safron Foer.  The most heartbreaking thing I've ever read.  Find the right kid for the lead and this would be amazing.

book that shouldn't be a movie
'Perfume' by Patrick Süskind who himself said the only director who could do it is Kubrick and Kubrick said 'can't be done', and Tom Tykwer german movie maker git said he'll do what Kubrick can't. The premier was this weekend and total bombed.

4. The Great Gatsby: Has been made into a film already but no one has come close to recreating the self-loving and self-destructing culture of the Jazz Age.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky - This book would have to overcome a few obstacles.  Like someone else's suggestion "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time," or "The Catcher in the Rye" the writer would have to convey the very specific and particular tone of the narrator.  Also, every character is a teenager, so it would have to resist being turned into a lame episode of Dawson's Creek or John Tucker Must Die...not that I don't like them, I loves me some teenage popcorn prattle, but I wouldn't want this book to be treated that way.  I would want for this movie to be indy and edgy - more similar in tone to Mysterious Skin.

Ender's Game. How has there been no Ender's Game film yet? Sure, it would have to be 3 hours to do it any justice but come on.

Both  The Plot Against America and American Pastoral by Phillip Roth.  American Pastoral is something if it had been made in the seventies or eighties I think someone like Alan Pakula or Sydney Lumet would have been perfect. Lumet could probably still do it.   As for  The Plot Against America - it may sound like a weird choice but Steven Spielberg: Fantasy.  History.  The American family.

2. The Watchmen - Alan Moore

« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2017, 09:19:55 AM »
I've thought about The Silmarillion a few times. I could see it working as an episodic TV series. I also like the idea of an HBO style mini-series adaptation of The Children of Hurin. If it made it into a movie (or movies), I just feel like it would be super disjointed.

Mistborn or Stormlight film series would be awesome! I think Mistborn would work better as it's a trilogy, complete, and isn't nearly as complex as Stormlight's sprawling story. I feel like each Stormlight book could be a season of a TV show.

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »
I agree, I think that the worldbuilding of the universe's basic rules alone would take a good chunk of a two hour movie. Stormlight would probably need the length of a series to be able to set everything up, otherwise they would likely need to do away with everything that makes that world what it is.

Although I would dread Nolan-style exposition of the rules of Alomancy. It would take a pretty good writer to get around that.

My idea for the Silmarillion is that its story spans hundreds of years, but there are nuclei of events that are pivotal to the history of Middle-Earth. You could make a whole movie out of just ten pages of the book. The entire cliff-notes version of Children of Húrin is in the Silmarillion, you would just have to give the same treatment to some other key moments, like Melkor's flight from Valinor and the subsequent war  - as in, the first one, ending in some climactic moment or other.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love