love

Author Topic: Top 5 Books that should be movies  (Read 22020 times)

SharkTrager

Top 5 Books that should be movies
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2006, 06:07:15 AM »
Survivor:
This was mentioned in another thread. Chuch Palaniuk's disection of a modern anti-christ and cult followings coupled with post-modern consumerism would make a really great film in the hands of the right director. In those of a lesser talent could yield tragic results.

I adore this book. More than Fight Club. Chuck is pretty much my fav author and I've had the privilege to meet him a couple of times.

Survivor has been optioned as a movie but after 9/11 was pretty much shelved due to the plane hijacking theme. I think it's back on the radar now, as it were.

Anyone read Boy Wonder? If you have you'll recognise the name Shark Trager. This, for me, is the ultimate novel about the film industry and actually reads like a Hollywood epic. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made into a film one of these days although I could also see it split into 3 parts given it's epic nature. If you're into the movies industry in any way, you'd love this hilarious wonderful book.
We've gone on holiday
by mistake."

philip918

• Elite Member
My Books
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 10:37:36 AM »
Blindness - by Jose Saramago.  An amazing book about a city struck by a plague of white blindness.  A lone woman retains her sight and she leads a group of people through the, basically, post-apocalyptic city.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel - by Sussana Clark.  One of the best fantasy novels I've ever read.  Filled with inventive and powerful visuals.  Plus, opportunities for a stellar cast.  I think this is already in the early stages of production, which is a shame because I really want to direct this one.

Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  Favorite book from my favorite author tells an unconventional and touching love story filled with quirky characters and touches of magic.  

Inferno - Dante.  With today's technology this classic could be the most visually astounding movie ever.

You Shall Know Our Velocity - Dave Eggers.  Two friends travel the world for a week giving away money after the death of a good friend of theirs.  The big turn in the book would be very hard to do on film, but I think it could be done, or at least something similar.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safron Foer.  The most heartbreaking thing I've ever read.  Find the right kid for the lead and this would be amazing.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2006, 09:22:37 PM »
The Return of the Player  Bought this on vacation and started reading it on the plane home.  So far it's great, just as cynical as the original.  It's really sad that Altman couldn't adapt this.  If you get a chance, check it out.  And may be a question: Since Altman can't be here to adapt it, who would you pick to direct a sequel to The Player.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2006, 09:30:40 PM »
Good question, but one easily answered.  P.T.A.  Paul Thomas Anderson.  He is the modern day Altman.  The way he covers scenes, his interest in mutliple character dramas, and the fact that on Prairie Home Companion Altman himself chose PTA to be his insurance backer.  PTA was on set and assisted in the film's direction because Altman couldn't get insurance without a backup being on set through production in the event he did die.

So, I think Altman would have wanted him to do it, and I'd stick with that.

Good question Alex, hope that answers you.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

theaustin

• theaustinchronicles.blogspot.net
Books that would make good movies...
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 10:34:27 PM »
Has anyone ever read Little Green Men by Christopher Buckley (he also wrote Thank You For Smoking)? I've always thought that would make a great film.

Any other ideas?
"On the run from Johnny Law... ain't no trip to Cleveland."
-Bottle Rocket

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Books that would make good movies...
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 10:38:44 PM »
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 11:52:30 PM »
The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

crashd

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2007, 05:32:13 AM »
Junior: I heard on the grapevine that Good Omens is developed somewhere, and is due to start pre-prod in the next few months...I might be wrong though ;)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2007, 05:50:35 AM »
Hey guys, check out this thread.  It's from a while back but it was always one I liked going back through.  I'm also nearly done adapting one of the books I posted on there.

http://www.filmspotting.net/boards/index.php?topic=594.0
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Brian Z

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2007, 07:16:57 PM »
If no one has ever read Jinx by Brian Michael Bendis, it is a superb film-noir like graphic novel, rich in characters and dialogue.