Author Topic: Top 5 Books that should be movies  (Read 21999 times)

Wowser

• Elite Member
Top 5 Books that should be movies
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 01:03:16 PM »
I think Werner Herzog could have a good stab at One Hundred Years, but there's no way anyone would be able to do a close adaptation of the book, but he's be good at getting across the magic.

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 12:43:57 PM »
A book that would become a great film however is Dick's Ubik. Just imagine David Lynch behind the wheel of that puppy, I mean my god, Mullholland Drive would look downright linear in comparison!

You know what? you're absolutely right... Ubik is a better choice and would work better ... but I personally don't want to see David Lynch make another Sci-Fi movie ever ... sorry but i think Dune is bad... (but i didn't care much for the book either)

Kilroy'sCarnival

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »
Something I would like to see made into a film: Tom Stoppard's play Arcadia.  I don't know whose hands I would want to put that in. I love the play, but to add the visual dimension of actually seeing the architecture and the landscape, as well as playing visually with the overlapping time periods, would be amazing.

I heard an author at a book festival this weekend talk about the possibility of his novel being made into a movie. He said that he hoped it wouldn't be done by an American film company, as they tend to reduce such adaptations to farce.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 03:23:46 PM »
Arcadia is the best theatrical experience I'll ever have (aside from Les Mis, which is all emotion).  Arcadia is a mind f*ck and one that wins you oner again and again.  Personally, I hope them don't make it into a film because it really only works on stage, or at least I can only see it on stage.  Film would use to many tricks, the simplicity and immediacy of theater makes it work.  It is brilliant though.

I just heard Flatland is getting the animated treatment.  That could be good.  I know that's a leap from Arcadia to Flatland, but I read both in my Chaos Theory Class in college.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

choatime

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 06:29:03 PM »
Quote from: "CSSCHNEIDER"
I just heard Flatland is getting the animated treatment.

Do you mean this version with Martin Sheen and Kristen Bell?  I just watched the trailer, and something bothers me.   The eyes of the 2D characters are on their "sides" so that they look out of their dimension.  

A filmed version of Flatland needs to start from the 1D POV of its inhabitants and then go to a 2D field of vision later.  I mean, shoot it in a very high aspect ratio with no variations from top to bottom until A. Square goes into Space.  

Also, since Hex is a girl and yet she has six sides, they're leaving a good deal of the satire out of it, which I suppose is understandable if the film is intended to be "educational," but not good.  Of course I do wonder just how well the whole science vs. the rigid orthodoxy of the priests in the debate of the true nature of the universe will go over with the Kansas school board.

StandAloneMatt

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 03:41:42 PM »
I am usually on the other side - any book I really love I hope they don't turn it into a movie.  It is so rare when they capture even a bit of the magic of the book.

Graphic Novels are the exception - I am excited about 300.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 09:35:28 AM »
I thought of another one.

Mastering the Universe:  
This fantastic book chronicles the creation of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.  Written by Roger Sweet, the man who created He-Man, it tells of Mattel's domination of the female toy market with barbie and their desire to compete with Kenner (Star Wars) and Hasbro (GIJOE).  Enter He-Man and nearly over night Mattel is a billion dollar empire.  Sweet, like many corporate lows on the totom pole gets screwed by Mattel while everyone takes credit for his invention.  Amazing read and would make a fantastic documentary.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Mumford67

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 04:08:39 PM »
In the right hands, I think Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 would make an excellent movie.

In some ways, it reminds me of The Sixth Sense and feel it could have the same effect on an audience.  While I wouldn't say it contains a big twist ending, the last pages of the book make you rethink everything you read prior to it.

The first time I read it, it hit me like a ton of bricks.

And, I also think Twain's little read co-authored The Gilded Age would make a good film.  A very interesting look at political corruption from 125 years ago.
Mumford, the All Purpose Nothing

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 05:08:46 AM »
if this thread has taught me one thing, i need to watch less movies and read more books...

thought of two other ones

book that shouldn't be a movie
'Perfume' by Patrick Süskind who himself said the only director who could do it is Kubrick and Kubrick said 'can't be done', and Tom Tykwer german movie maker git said he'll do what Kubrick can't. The premier was this weekend and total bombed.

book that should be a movie
Budding Prospects by T.C. Boyle

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 06:10:19 AM »
Quote from: "Kilroy'sCarnival"
This thread reminded me of an idea I had after seeing how Tristram Shandy was made into a movie.  But if I post it here, then someone might steal it before I write it! Yeah, that's it, I'm going to start right now, see, and when I win my Writers Guild award for best screenplay, I'll thank Wilson and the gang here at Filmspotting for the inspiration... who am I kidding. I'll give up and post it in a few days. Sigh.

Was that the Arcadia idea, or are you still keeping something from us, Ann?

love