love

Author Topic: Unpopular music opinions (The Honorary FLYmeatwad thread)  (Read 139210 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Unpopular music opinions (The Honorary FLYmeatwad thread)
« Reply #870 on: December 13, 2009, 06:57:18 PM »
The point is she is just the face of a fame machine. She is not a musician in any meaningful way, music is simply the means by which her team has chosen to develop her fame (it could have just as easily been movies). The goal is not art it is fame, which is what makes it purely meta.

I can't agree with the not a meaningful musician part, and your entire stance basically describes Elvis Presley, Madonna, Lemmy Kilmeister and any number of musicians. They liked music and wanted to do it, just like LG, but they also did it to be famous and when they had the chance they used every tool at their disposal to be as famous as possible.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #871 on: December 13, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »
And perhaps fame is her new form of art. It's not crazy.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #872 on: December 13, 2009, 07:13:23 PM »
The point is she is just the face of a fame machine. She is not a musician in any meaningful way, music is simply the means by which her team has chosen to develop her fame (it could have just as easily been movies). The goal is not art it is fame, which is what makes it purely meta.

Sorry, but there are many far worse musicians who are not "musicians in any meaningful way". How about Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt? I'd say they are the real "meta" celebs, because they're only interested in doing whatever will make them famous.  They are two people who bring absolutely nothing to the table and are working hard every day to manufacture a persona that keeps them in the spotlight.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #873 on: December 13, 2009, 07:24:47 PM »
It's pop music, man, it doesn't have to be "meaningful". It's all theatrical and stuff, like Bowie, Madonna, or Prince.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #874 on: December 13, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »

That's not true - if you have read any thing about her - you would realize that she has been kicking around the NY club scene for some time. She has paid her dues. I don't think she has a "team" that picks her creative direction.
Hey, nice marmot!

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #875 on: December 14, 2009, 12:20:22 AM »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #876 on: December 14, 2009, 02:52:57 AM »
i also dig the fact that she's now Der Golum.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #877 on: December 15, 2009, 04:41:57 AM »
If you were in a bar this afternoon and heard Lady Gaga on the jukebox after The Animals, Buddy Holly, Billy Idol, BB King, and Marvin Gaye and before Avril Lavigne, Radiohead, and Prince, you should have said hi.

"Purple Rain" was a genius call.  <---- No claim of unpopularity intended.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #878 on: December 19, 2009, 09:51:50 PM »
I don't know the circumstances of Cobain specifically, so I can't speak fully about his own case, but I am a staunch defender of suicide. It's unfairly maligned and completely justifiable. It's a demonstration of control over one's own life, when handled appropriately, and having that sort of resolve paired with such a knowledge of one's self is not something I should be condemning.
All it proves it that you are too much of a pussy to face your problems.

Sorry if that strong language offends anyone but it's true.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #879 on: December 19, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »
I don't know the circumstances of Cobain specifically, so I can't speak fully about his own case, but I am a staunch defender of suicide. It's unfairly maligned and completely justifiable. It's a demonstration of control over one's own life, when handled appropriately, and having that sort of resolve paired with such a knowledge of one's self is not something I should be condemning.
All it proves it that you are too much of a pussy to face your problems.

Sorry if that strong language offends anyone but it's true.

I'm closing this subject for discussion.  Let's keep to music and film and what everyone's up to.  If anyone wants to discuss this with me, pm me please, I'm glad to go into reasons in a pm.
Texan Down Under