Author Topic: #260: Up / The Long Goodbye / Top 5 Films of 2002  (Read 7731 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: #260: Up / The Long Goodbye / Top 5 Films of 2002
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »
Adam, any thoughts about Russell from Up being of Asian descent?
Can't say it really occurred to me.

My point exactly. When was the last time you saw a Hollywood movie featuring a non-Black racial minority as a lead character without any mention of it in the film itself? Good move, Pixar.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

haugenbp

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »
I'm so glad I found this show for many reasons, and "The Long Goodbye" might just be the best example. Despite my love for Altman, "M*A*S*H" being in my top 5 of all time, and loving "Nashville", "A Prairie Home Companion" (despite Garrison Keillor), "The Player", "Short Cuts", and "McCabe . . ." , all of which I've watched multiple times, I'd actually never seen "The Long Goodbye". Within 10 minutes I was in love with this film and this version of Philip Marlowe and was instantly pissed I'd never seen it before. So thanks, Adam and Matty, for not discussing something of Altman's I'd already seen.

Also, Matty needs to see "Punch Drunk Love".  It's a great film and stands up to, if not necessitates, repeated viewings (except maybe the Olive Oyle musical number, I could do without that).

ALSO - Being a denizen of the City of Lakes, I've cleared it with my wife, cleared my calendar Friday, joined that blasted Twitter thing, and plan to be at this secret Uptown location on Friday evening. Looking forward to it, although if we aren't talking film, and Matty wants to talk baseball, he'll be disappointed because I won't be able to keep up with that one for long.
"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger." -Dan Rather

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 06:55:55 PM »
Can't say I agree with any of the love for The Long Goodbye, yet another in a long line of Altman films that were either mediocre or very bad.

Bob-last-stand-theocracy

• My livejournal
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »
Great show guys. However, it seems like, in the quest for Bogie vs. Gould contrasts, you've undersold how funny Bogie is in _Big Sleep_. The standout is his bookworm impersonation, but there's also his give-nothing-away patter with Mars ("that would be my business" "I can make your business mine" "you wouldn't like it, the pay's too small") and his little pranks with Bacall ("what?  he wants the police. oh, HE's the police! You'd better talk to my mother"). He mixes tough guy and smart-aleck in a way not entirely unlike Bugs Bunny.

Bogie could be VERY funny. It's a shame that he didn't get more chances to be.

Also (and this isn't so much a slam on you guys) I wish Dick Powell's Marlowe from _Murder My Sweet_ would get brought up more in comparisons like this. He's somewhere between Bogie and Bob Hope and seeing that film made me understand that whole Marlowe-Lebowski connection, which I'd heard about a lot but had never really felt before.

henchman

• CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO A DAMN PODCAST!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 09:36:49 PM »
Awesome show dudes!

Adaptation, The Pianist, Hell House, Minority Report, One Hour Photo, Narc, Road To Perdition, The Kids Stay In Pictures, Insomnia, Catch me If You Can, and Bowling For Columbine.

So glad 25th Hour and Talk To Her were mentioned. Both underrated films!
www.adamnpodcast.com
IF YOU LIKE FILMSPOTTING, DOWNLOAD OUR PODCAST TODAY!!

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 07:46:36 AM »
Great show guys. However, it seems like, in the quest for Bogie vs. Gould contrasts, you've undersold how funny Bogie is in _Big Sleep_. The standout is his bookworm impersonation, but there's also his give-nothing-away patter with Mars ("that would be my business" "I can make your business mine" "you wouldn't like it, the pay's too small") and his little pranks with Bacall ("what?  he wants the police. oh, HE's the police! You'd better talk to my mother"). He mixes tough guy and smart-aleck in a way not entirely unlike Bugs Bunny.
I think in focusing on Goodbye it's just not a point that came up. It certainly came up in our class when we discussed The Big Sleep last Spring. But the humor is different, of course. Bogie's quips are "cool" -- they work, people respond to them. In Goodbye, almost nobody gets Gould's jokes.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

mattybgame

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 09:21:11 AM »
I think in focusing on Goodbye it's just not a point that came up. It certainly came up in our class when we discussed The Big Sleep last Spring. But the humor is different, of course. Bogie's quips are "cool" -- they work, people respond to them. In Goodbye, almost nobody gets Gould's jokes.

Except the audience gets the jokes. It's subtle use of verfremundungseffekt. I think Gould's Marlowe is the fore-runner of the Bill Murray style protagonist.

JadeInTheATL

• Indy boy lost in the ATL
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 09:47:07 AM »

Good lists but it's interesting you said that not many people are fans of the 25th Hour because coincidentally it is my favorite film from that year. My list goes like this:
1. The 25th Hour
2. Adaptation
3. Spirited Away
4. Punch-Drunk Love
5. The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers

Yay 25th Hour!  It would be my number one as well!

yoyosammy

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 10:12:28 AM »
Cool. The Long Goodbye is also the name of Michael Cera's band.
Any comment involving Michael Cera and cool next to each other is sad, very sad.

Bob-last-stand-theocracy

• My livejournal
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
Good point Adam.

Oh, and chalk me up for more 25th Hour love. There's yet to be a better 9/11 movie, and perhaps there never will.

love