love

Author Topic: 80s bracket consensus voting  (Read 25673 times)

duder

• Elite Member
Re: 80s bracket consensus voting
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »
The major issue is access.  I'm speaking from a position of ignorance when I say that I doubt that one would even find torrents. 

I can find Landscape Suicide and Flat is Beautiful.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 01:17:15 PM »
would it make sense to just include the top getters of consensus, whatever the remainder is come 3-list deadline? 

I'm not sure what this means.

I think skjerva's suggestion is that we try to get to a total of 256 films (nice even 8-sound bracket). We already have 213  films in skjerva's expanded list. We add the top 3 suggestions from people. So then we'd have 213 + 3 * (# of ppl who sent in a list of 3 ranked films to include).
And the remaining , i.e. 256 - 213 - (3 * # of ppl who sent in 3 ranked films) films would be the top films in the consensus vote.

You don't need to thank me for my confusing explanation.

Ok, I get it now. How many spots would that leave for consensus films, at this point?

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »
The major issue is access.  I'm speaking from a position of ignorance when I say that I doubt that one would even find torrents. 

Wow.  Cool. 

I think the latter is a Sadie Benning film from 98.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 01:22:33 PM »
Ok, I get it now. How many spots would that leave for consensus films, at this point?

just finished the post below, but currently 9.  too many, not enough?  like i said, i'm not fixed on the 256, though there is something calming about it :)

would it make sense to just include the top getters of consensus, whatever the remainder is come 3-list deadline? 

I'm not sure what this means.

first, the implication is i love you.  explicitly, folks were supposed to have their lists of 3 in by midnight tomorrow, i am wondering if it makes sens to have that as the deadline for voting on new consensus titles to include?  if you think more time is needed i'm game.  the second bit is that if no other folks decide to submit 3 lists (and i'm keeping the deadline to at least express interest, even though the titles won't need to come until after Project Consensus has wrapped), at this point that would mean that the 9 films that have the most interest in PC would get added; if another person submits a 3-list that would drop the consensus pool to only 6 films; if two more folks submit lists, then i'll scrap the 256 template, which won't be any great loss - likewise, if you think more than 6 or 9 films should be added from the CP.  like i wrote earlier, i'm game to not stick with that, just a thought.

here is an update of the 3-list folks with the number of verdicts submitted (far east and us), thus in order that their lists will be added to the base:

verite              0
gman1050       3
THATguy          4
Bill Thompson  5
Thor                6
duder              8
ses593           10
smirnoff          18
skjerva           18
worm@work    21
roujin             22
pixote            does it even matter?  pixote's word is the last
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »

Wow.  Cool. 

Duh, I searched for Benning only  :-[

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 01:25:46 PM »
maybe we'll leave verite's new titles to the mercy of 3-lists.  unless, of course a bunch of other folks also submit 3-lists, then i wouldn't feel awful just adding a couple of them.

Wow.  Cool. 

Duh, I searched for Benning only  :-[

yeah, it's too bad, Flat is Beautiful is quite fantastic - caught it at the Siskel Center last year
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »
roujin             22

What does this mean?

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »
Sorry, I'm a bit confused.  LOL.

The list on page 26 of this thread are the titles we do the consensus vote on?  So, titles on there now may not end up being in the final, set bracket, right?

So then after the consensus vote, that's when we send in our 3-lists?
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2009, 01:32:55 PM »
The list on page 26 of this thread are the titles we do the consensus vote on?  

No, that's the current base list. We're aiming to add more titles to that list, so you can vote here for pretty much anything (you can find the current vote count on the first post of this thread). After the base list is set, the individual picks come in. I think.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2009, 01:34:20 PM »
roujin             22

What does this mean?

Number of submitted verdicts in both brackets?

love