love

Author Topic: The Japanese are plain nutty (super happy fun thread)  (Read 27032 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: The Japanese are plain nutty (super happy fun thread)
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2016, 09:03:50 PM »
Never change, Japan.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »
Certainly Japan is great, but one must not overlook the contributions of 'Murica, which has for years forgone the sanity of its political life to provide the rest of the world with material for our silliness and shenanigans. For your sacrifice, we salute you.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2016, 10:30:29 AM »
Certainly Japan is great, but one must not overlook the contributions of 'Murica, which has for years forgone the sanity of its political life to provide the rest of the world with material for our silliness and shenanigans. For your sacrifice, we salute you.

We would thank you if we weren't so busy yelling at each other.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2016, 02:17:52 AM »
Audiophiles have their own nut factor.. and combine with Japanese, it is like going to 11

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/power-trip-japanese-audiophiles-go-to-extremes-to-get-pure-energy-2016-08-14?siteid=YAHOOB

A private line, they say, eliminates electrical interference that comes from sharing a public pole with neighbors whose gadgets can create “noise” that make subtle notes inaudible and the overall sound flatter.

Once one has a personal tower of power, “the music melts into the air of the room,” says Sumio Shimamoto, president of Izumi Denki Corp., which installed Morita’s pole and has erected about 40 more across Japan over the past decade.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2017, 02:28:53 PM »
Maybe I just had to travel too much for work on my own that I really don't mind eating in a restaurant or going to a bar on my own.  but I don't think this would make things less awkward:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/06/table-for-one-restaurant-giant-stuffed-animals-loneliness-japan

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
I remember seeing that back when the news broke. I also don't mind eating out by myself.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2018, 10:06:01 PM »
Might be my new favorite thread in my infancy on this forum.

Sitting in front of stuffed animals makes me want to go to Japan alone.

Which brings me to the first question that popped into my head when I saw this thread: Have any of you been to Japan? I'm not really a world traveler, but it's on my shortlist of places I want to visit (along with Iceland, New Zealand, and Antarctica). Would love to hear anyone's experiences.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »
I once spent 4 to 5 months there for work before and use to go quite regularly for meetings as well as a few vacations. Overall, I’ve been around 40 times. If you get a chance to go, take it
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:37:36 PM by jdc »

love