Author Topic: The Japanese are plain nutty (super happy fun thread)  (Read 27011 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: The Japanese are plain nutty (super happy fun thread)
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2018, 10:55:06 PM »
What sort of activities have you done there? I know, 40 times, you must've done most everything, but what about if you're going one time for 10 days, and have a particular interest in popular culture and unique experiences as an American who doesn't get away much?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:58:36 PM by etdoesgood »
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2018, 11:24:43 PM »
When I was there for extended work, I didn't take advantage and go outside of Tokyo very often. I usually spent my day in the office and found someplace for dinner and a drink in Shinjuku after work. I usually spent a lot of the weekends just walking through various districts. Harajuku is certainly a place you want to go just to people watch. Shibuya has a lot of streets and alleys with lots of interesting stores as well as you can go over to Yoyogi park where there are a lot of street musicians.

I tend to like to find bars or clubs with live music when I travel, usually, jazz but also rock or pop is ok. Tokyo had lots of it so just had to take the chance to go in and try to talk to people which can sometimes be an issue, even with the bartender.

Most of my trips outside Tokyo were usually just an overnight trip to visit hot springs.  Kyoto is beautiful but probably not great for pop culture.  I never made it up north but friends are planning to go in December to Ski so may get my chance.

If you make it to an Onsen though you can not be shy.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »
I spent 2 weeks in Japan in 2014. Best trip I've ever done. Would go back in an instant.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2018, 08:00:06 PM »
Great tips, jdc!  Now...what's an Onsen?

I'm not a particularly shy person...
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
An Onsen is a Japanese hot spring or bath facility. Sometimes it could be small and part of a private inn. Or it could also be a large facility with multiple purposes inside:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onsen

I got invited to one just outside Tokyo once by a female friend and didn't really know what to expect. We signed in, were given a wrist band to wear and then went to our locker rooms to change into Yukatas.  When we met on the other side, you are free to walk around to restaurants or get a drink or message, etc. Everybody is where Yukatas. Then we went for the hot spring, which I thought we would do together. She then explained there is a men's side and women's side and we don't go together. Also, there are no clothes allowed into the Hot spring area. When I got invited to the Hotspring by a girl, I didn't think I would be walking around naked with about 100 other Japanese men. I don't know many guys in the US that all go for a steam together, let alone naked. It is normal in Japan as well as sometimes in other countries when you go to a Spa.

“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2018, 09:58:17 PM »
They also frown upon heavily tattooed people.

I feel like i would try an Onsen if they had a mixed sex section. But if it's just me and 50 Japanese weiners i think I'm out.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2018, 11:07:51 PM »
Then Germany is where you want to go, their bathhouses are mixed sex but same dress requirement, no swimsuits allowed.