Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 267297 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • You're not alone No matter what or who you've been
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #1860 on: May 10, 2013, 01:54:30 AM »
I haven't seen Ordinary People since I was a teenager, but I still have images and bits of dialoge that come forward in my mind. Because of the strong residual impact, from only seeing it once, I've given it a place in my top 100.

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #1861 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:29 AM »
These films are actually somewhat similar and I wouldn't surprised if Running on Empty was slightly inspired by Ordinary People. Yet where they really differ is in tone, Ordinary people is more of this heavy emotional melodrama, whereas Running on Empty is more light-hearted.

Battle of the Judd Hirschs'
Hirsh is great in the these movies. Top 10 movie shrinks, yes! Top 10 movie dads, absolutely! His restrained performance in Ordinary People worked for me better but they're both really good. What's great is how he plays off Hutton's overly emotional role and really balances out those scenes.
Whereas Ordinary People is about a broken failing family, the family in Running on Empty is the only stable part of these people's lives. As they travel around the country, always having to make new connections, we realize how lonely they are. River Phoenix might be a bit too pretty to really be entirely believable but he manages to pull off the emotional moments when necessary. I think he works better than Timothy Hutton who is unjustifiably emotional in most scenes. Hutton works best when he's interacting with his mother or the shrink, or even his father near the end of the film. But on his own he is a mess and I really found his performance to be too much.

The main problem with Ordinary people is that it tries to balance its melodrama with very very subtle character moments and it just doesn't really work tonally.Running on Empty is more constant and balanced and actually has joyful moments within the melodrama and I really connected to that.

I feel bad taking this decision because I think both movies are very good and underrated.
But I'm voting for Running on Empty

Btw heisenbergman hasn't answered our PMs so I don't know if he'll post a review. But I guess it doesn't really matter now.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1862 on: May 10, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »
 :(
Switchboard
Watched 2020

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  PoorCrap

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1863 on: May 10, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »
heisenbergman did PM me a couple weeks ago with his verdict, so I know he's watched them. Hopefull he'll post a write up.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • You're not alone No matter what or who you've been
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1864 on: July 07, 2013, 02:31:55 AM »
My Dinner with Andre vs. When Harry Met Sally

The Establishment

How did this movie get funded? :) There is no logline I know that would convince someone to finance this project. Two men sit in a corner booth and have a conversation and for the most part it's one sided. Nope, not a dime of support. Someone must have called in all their favors and got someone to read the whole script, because this conversation is like no other I've heard. Pull up a chair and don't make any plans to go anywhere else. All the action takes place right here, through the courses of an evening, but don't worry, the staff will need to remind you of the time, because it will fly by.

The Patrons

Wallace Shawn. :D That voice! That face! That funny little lisp (saying little lisp, gives me a lisp). Andre Gregory made a comment, something along the lines of, Wallace's face is always in flux, constantly reacting and thinking, never static, never the same. It's true. I love watching him listen to Andre, as he tries to take it all in, even when what he's hearing goes against everything he knows and understands. Great acting going on and I'd say, even more so from Andre. The amount of dialogue is enough to choke a person, but he is able to tell his tales as if they are just coming into his head, while he's relaying them. My favorite moment of his is when he's telling a particularly harrowing experience and his voice gets agitated, his breathing becomes labored and his face is framed in fear. Bravo.

The Main Course

Is quail even worth the work it takes to get through it? All those little pieces need maneuvering around and if you're hungry, the meat can't be consumed quickly at all. Patience. Trust the chef. I hear the meat has a sweet nutty flavor. The whole purpose of this meal is to remove yourself out of your routine and wake you up to new tastes and textures. Wallace Shawn struggles with this some, but he's attentive and asks good questions. And even though he's skeptical of that sweet nutty flavor, it grows on him and he won't look at life's details the same way again.

The Establishment

I was in Katz's Delicatessen a few years ago and it was crowded and noisy and I loved it! People were jockeying for position, looking to be seen and heard and workers were handling all kinds of orders and keeping everything under controlled chaos. They knew the routine and led the diners through it. When Harry Met Sally? Same exact thing. The story takes place over a dozen years and through different relationships, while seemingly meandering through it all, but Nora Ephron and Rob Reiner know the routine. Just follow them and they'll get you through.

The Patrons

After watching the movie, I remember saying, "I forgot how funny Billy Crystal is." And that makes all the difference. As caustic and cynical as he comes across, his humor erases the memory of it right and left. How can you stay mad at someone who makes you laugh? And, I may be in the minority, but Meg Ryan makes me happy. Watching her evolve throughout the movie, but keeping her quirks, feels so relatable. These two people are such opposite forces to begin with and then by the end, not so much. :) That's good work, in my book.

The Main Course

As I type the word delicatessen, I see delicate and essen, which means to eat, in German. That is so not true! There is no delicate eating going on here. The food is messy and challenging. Try getting your mouth/mind around all that is served up. Impossible. There is no way of making it through this meal without getting it all over you and it's awkward having such attention being placed on yourself as you try and attend to it. Too close for comfort? You bet. People are messy. Life is messy, but it's so worth it.

Both are excellent choices. Both come highly recommended. Which movie would I consume again and later, again? When Harry Met Sally. It get's my vote. bon appétit!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:52:57 PM by Sandy »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #1865 on: July 07, 2013, 05:37:41 AM »
I don't disagree with your choice, but I am sad to see Andre go.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1866 on: July 07, 2013, 06:56:52 AM »
I don't disagree with your choice, but I am sad to see Andre go.

Well, it is best two of three so I don't think this is settled yet.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1867 on: July 07, 2013, 10:06:06 AM »
Sandy, I love the clever way you came at this comparison. Using quail as a metaphor for My Dinner With Andre's quality is spot on. I also prefer the deli sandwich.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1868 on: July 07, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
Wonderful write up Sandy! I always love your unique style when writing about films.

Andre is on my list on shame, so I can't say much about it, but I like When Harry Met Sally so I'm happy with the outcome. :)
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1869 on: July 07, 2013, 02:50:17 PM »
While I wish you had picked Andre, that's another stellar Sandy post.
Switchboard
Watched 2020

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  PoorCrap