love

Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395726 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #1860 on: September 29, 2012, 09:58:33 AM »
So pixote, what happens if this all ends in a BTTF v Die Hard showdown? Do we just link to the poll?

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1861 on: September 29, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »
Yay for a verdict!  Good job Beave!

That's a tough matchup. I know people love BV, but I'm not a huge fan. I respect it though. Happy to see BTF move on, I think it might reach the finals. And to think, I came very close to kicking it out last round!
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1862 on: September 29, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
Hard to be disappointed either way with this one. Probably the right verdict though.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1863 on: October 08, 2012, 07:27:55 PM »
The Empire Strikes Back     VS.    Do the Right Thing

The Empire Strikes Back
I've seen the original trilogy so many times it is a part of who I am. I grew up on it, and wore out the VHS tapes. They were the first movies I fell in love with. I collected the action figures and acted out every scene. I would make 'lightsabers' and fight with my brother. And yes, maybe, I spent more time than I care to admit trying to move an object across the room using the 'force'.  What I am getting at is that it is impossible for me to approach any of the original star wars movies objectively. They are stitched into the fabric of my cinematic soul. Every scene is indelibly etched into my memory.

While I no longer rewatch the trilogy weekly any more, I do revisit them every couple of years. 'Empire' is generally considered the best of the original trilogy, but I actually like it the least. On one hand, it definitely has some of the highest highs. The opening Hoth scene, the asteroid field, Yoda, 'I am your father'. All fantastic. I just find everything else kind of dull. There I said it. I love it, but really I found myself getting impatient waiting for my next highlight scene and not really caring all too much about the rest. Again, I'm tainted, I can't watch this film with fresh eyes and my memory of the film blurs what is actually good. I've seen this film so many times that it is understandable that the less iconic scenes are a little boring after the 100th time. But come on, its Star Wars. It can't possibly lose...... right?

Do the Right Thing
I originally watched 'Do the Right Thing' in the only film studies class I've ever taken. This was right in the beginning of when I was discovering film as an art. I'm going to paste the short review I wrote up after I had watched it then. After rewatching it today, my thoughts are pretty much the same.

"April 20th 2009
A film full of visual style, painting a vivid, if not exaggerated, portrait of a 'typical' neighborhood in Brooklyn. Spike Lee uses vibrant colors and music and language that are full of style to create an array of interesting characters simply living their lives on a particularly hot day in the city. At the heart of this film are the racial tensions that drive the plot from beginning. This film is aptly named 'Do the Right Thing', but it is presented more as a question in the film rather than a statement. What is the right thing to do? Lee carefully constructs a brilliantly intense climatic scene in which the hatred that had been simmering all along finally erupts and the result will affect each viewer differently. Who was right and who was wrong, or if there is really a clear cut answer to that question is the essence of this film. Regardless of your opinion this film will evoke strong emotions and will make you question even your own stances on racial issues, and this is what makes this film so great."

Nearly four years later I find that I like the beginning of the movie less. It really hasn't aged well. There are a few brilliant scenes, but some are really painful (the ice cube scene was hard to watch). The ending of this movie is absolutely spectacular though. While I don't love all of Spike Lee's work, some of my favorite 'impact' scenes are credited to him. Since first watching the movie the emotional impact of the ending of this movie has stayed with me, and rewatching it only reinforced how powerful it is.

Verdict: I watched 'Empire' first. After I was done I was a bit nervous. I wasn't blown away. As I said in my write up I love the movie, but was kind of bored. It wasn't 'Star Wars' time yet. I wasn't in the mood. Having already seen the movie it was up against I knew it was in trouble. I started to panic. How could I possibly break the news to everyone? Maybe I should just toss back the matchup. Fortunately after watching 'Do the Right Thing' the verdict is not so hard. While I like it quite a bit, it is no Empire. I'm relieved to say that Empire moves on.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:32:12 PM by BlueVoid »
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1864 on: October 08, 2012, 07:36:49 PM »
 :)) I was biting my nails right along side you there in that last paragraph. Super fun read!

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #1865 on: October 08, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
RESURRECTION

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1866 on: October 08, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »
RESURRECTION

I was expecting this response no matter which film I choose. ;)
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1867 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
Both real good, but I think I'd have gone the other way.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1868 on: October 08, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »
Both real good, but I think I'd have gone the other way.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1869 on: October 08, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Empire strikes back!