Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395825 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2009, 08:44:04 PM »

Barfly (Barbet Schroeder, 1987)

I apologize for not writing about this sooner, because I really don't remember a lot about it in detail. Unfortunately that speaks toward my experience with it. The gist of the story is that Mickey Rourke plays a drunk named Henry. Henry prides himself in being an unproductive member of society, so he mostly just drinks, gets in fights (and loses), and occasionally writes. He meets a woman named Wanda, played by Faye Dunaway, another barfly(title!). They enter into a turbulent relationship, and many hijinks ensue. Or at least it seems likely, the rest of the movie kinda blurs together.

I did overall enjoy the two lead performances, Rourke more than Faye. He plays a good bum, managing to be likable and not just despicable. I guess the big fault I have with the movie is it just never did anything to stand out to me. Scenes would happen and I would instantly forget about them, nothing ever added up to anything worth remembering. There were very few instances where the humor got any reaction out of me, and without that I found very little to take from it.

The Breakfast Club (John Hughes, 1985)

This is one of those movies I've really never had any interest in despite the amount of love there is for it. I think I just assumed I was of the wrong generation to appreciate it. Luckily that was not the case.

I think what I admire most about this movie is how simple the premise is. It barely strays from the setup of 5 characters in a room, and when it does it does it organically. It doesn't fall back on flashbacks or anything to flesh out the characters for the audience, it sticks to its guns and builds a really great character study out of just this one days events. And the characters are all really good. Not all of them are likable, but even the ones who aren't have depth to them, and you're given the opportunity to view them from different perspectives throughout the movie.

It succeeds at being a very funny comedy, but also as an introspective and philosophical experience. I was pretty amazed at how great a scene such as the five main characters sitting in a circle talking could be. It's really long, but maybe the most compelling scene in the movie.

I had a few minor quibbles with the story. For instance, marijauna could be construed as an awfully convenient way to have the characters warm up to each other enough to open up some. It works, but I think it would have been more interesting if it was earned without that intervention. I also thought Allison's makeover was a completely unnecessary cliche that also undermined her character (and my favorite character).

But those are minor points

Verdict

The Breakfast Club takes this one easily. Sorry Mickey, looks like some more drinking is in order.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #281 on: October 20, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »
I'm happy with this verdict!

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #282 on: October 20, 2009, 11:48:16 PM »
Totally behind in this thread. Nice write-ups Melvil, ferris, 'Noke, and roujin.

Sorry to see Coming to America go so quickly. I saw it ages ago but I remember Kiss being good, but Eddie Murphy is so great in C to A.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2009, 04:10:52 AM »
I also thought Allison's makeover was a completely unnecessary cliche that also undermined her character (and my favorite character).

I agree with your verdict, especially this. She was my favourite charcter and I really didnt like how the film made her change.

We need a what breakfast club character are you poll. I'm on it.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #284 on: October 21, 2009, 04:27:09 AM »
I'm gonna give it to Kiss of the Spider Woman because it seems not a lot of people have seen it and although I do have problems with it [...]
Not in the review you didn't! Too conventional?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #285 on: October 21, 2009, 06:57:58 AM »
Good stuff Mel!

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #286 on: October 21, 2009, 10:49:42 AM »
Nice job Mel.  It would have been devistating to have BC gone in the first round.  It's got to be one if the favorites to make it to the finals.  It kind of defines the 80s.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #287 on: October 21, 2009, 12:46:57 PM »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #288 on: October 31, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »
Wallstreet

The beauty of Wall Street is that it perfectly captures the allure of the stock market. The most attractive part being the nearly limitless potential profits, but it also nails the sexiness of it. And what's more, it's filled with characters that absolutely exist in real life. The most memorable being Douglas's Gordon Gecko. Not only is the performance one of the best of the decade, but the writing behind it is equally brilliant. He's a complete bastard, but he's also always right. Almost everything he says contains a grain of truth, no matter how despicable it sounds.

And the movie has so much more going for it than one good character. The main storyline, Bud Fox's rise and fall, is compelling and often thrilling. His master and apprentice relationship with Gecko is wonderfully detailed. Throw in John C. McGinley and Martin Sheen with some great supporting performances and you've got yourself an exceptional film.

With each viewing I come to appreciate Wall Street more. It may look it's age, but I doubt it will ever feel it. It's a surprisingly insightful film.

3.5/4

The Goonies

I made little or no connection with this film. It's a bunch of little rascals on a treasure hunt. If I were a kid I could see myself enjoying it and wishing I were part of the adventure but as an adult it never captured my imagination. The stakes were too small to interest me and the characters were too annoying to root for. It was like watching Tomb Raider with kids instead of Angelina Jolie, and water pistols instead of rocket launchers. Tough to get excited about.

I think the most interesting part about the movie for me was seeing all of these actors as kids.

I don't have anything else to say about this one.  :-\

1/4

Vedict: Wall Street easily moves on. I hope it does well in future rounds!

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #289 on: October 31, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »
Ouch, Goonies takes a beating. I'm not as much of a Wall Street fan, but I'd make the same decision.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love