love

Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395723 times)

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #680 on: July 05, 2010, 01:08:18 PM »
<---yet another disappointed Spaceballs viewer. It's just not funny (anymore).
Yea, I watched a few scenes and I was like "people think this is funny?"

I didnt even like it when I was 13. Mel Brooks has sucked since 1976.
Yea, I didn't like Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein either. Not sure what the appeal is...Then again, I don't see why Jerry Seinfeld or Woody Allen are so funny either.

*Wonders if Brooks is an angry Jew too*

He totally is! His parents were Polish Jews!

Call me a racist but angry Jews = not funny.

Most of the jokes in Spaceballs allude to Brook's jewishness!  (the "Schwartz"!)  

There definitely is an arc of self-deprecation and neurosis about "classic jewish humor" - I trust that's where you were going with that comment. But that is about the only thing that i see in common between those three examples you mention.

Is Jerry Seinfeld an "angry Jew"?  I've seen every episdoe about 30 times, and the subject of his heritage seems to come up pretty infrequently - (I remember when Tim Watley converted to Judiasm for the jokes - but I'm an anti-dentite)

I think its clear that Sam is simply a massive racist.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #681 on: July 05, 2010, 01:19:16 PM »
Hairspray vs. Broadway Danny Rose

Hairspray

I think I come at this film at a disadvantage, having already seen the 2007 remake. I say this because I believe the remake does a better job at handling the material than this film. This film has a weaker script, subpar performances, virtually no character development, and way too many dance sequences. The film really has only two things going for it and that is Jerry Stiller and Harry Milstead a.k.a Divine, who are both criminally underused due to their comic abilities. Each line they say is gold. The rest of the cast is rather annoying, especially Ricki Lake as the lead character Tracy, who is an obnoxious, self-centered kid from the word go who you basically want to strangle the entire film. She has no appeal because all she cares about is herself throughout the entire film, and she has none of the charm or likability that Nikki Blonsky, who plays Tracy in the remake. You get no insight into the other dancers, her love interest, her rival, or the host of the television show. Everything is done on a very superficial level that it just becomes boring, as do the dance sequences, for which they essentially have five dances that they just rotate.If you want to see this film, go see the remake, and then watch some Seinfeld to capitalize on Jerry Stiller.

Broadway Danny Rose

I am so glad to be discovering Woody Allen in this bracket. First with Crimes And Misdemeanors and not this, I think I am safe to say that I love Woody Allen films and have added what I haven’t seen into my Netflix queue. This film is hilariously brilliant. What I like about the film is how it blends the intellectual comedy like we get in Crimes and this over the top slapstick humor wonderfully together. I that Allen decided to shoot the film in black and white. It adds such a classic appeal to the film. I believe all the jokes land. Woody Allen, as a performer, seems like he is having the time of his life playing his character. Mia Farrow is also very strong as Tina Vitale. I love the script because you never know what is going to be thrown at you next in the film. Everything is a surprise. This film is just a funny, sweet, light-hearted affair that I would recommend to anyone who wants a great comedy to watch. After the film is over, you will leave with a big smile on your face. I eagerly await to watch it again.

Winner And Advancement To Next Round: Broadway Danny Rose

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #682 on: July 05, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
Gotham, your timing is impeccable...No sooner does Seinfeld and Woody Allen come up in conversation....
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #683 on: July 05, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »
Gotham, since you voice an appreciation for the newer Hairspray (the version I've seen and loved), I am definitely trusting you that the older version isn't as effective. It all sounds about right so I'm glad to see Woody Allen move on (though not one of his I've seen).

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #684 on: July 05, 2010, 03:59:46 PM »
This.

I've only see like two episodes of Seinfeld, and both eluded to his Jewish heritage so I just assumed it was a running gag.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #685 on: July 05, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »
This.

I've only see like two episodes of Seinfeld, and both eluded to his Jewish heritage so I just assumed it was a running gag.

I can see that.  there are a couple episodes that deal with it for sure...
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #686 on: July 05, 2010, 05:32:50 PM »
One of these days I'll catch up with the show.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #687 on: July 05, 2010, 06:18:09 PM »
Is Jerry Seinfeld an "angry Jew"?  I've seen every episdoe about 30 times, and the subject of his heritage seems to come up pretty infrequently - (I remember when Tim Watley converted to Judiasm for the jokes - but I'm an anti-dentite)
I was just talking about this with somebody, other than that one Tim Watley episode, Jerry's Judaism is rarely explicitly referred to ("He converted for the jokes, it doesn't offend me as a Jew, it offends me as a comedian"). More importantly, Jerry Seinfeld's humour isn't remotely angry, so as usual I have no idea what Sam's talking about. Neither is Mel Brooks' for that matter.

Nice to see Broadway Danny Rose go through, Woody is so funny in that one. ("Never took a lesson")

tiny, I haven't seen all of Drugstore Cowboy, but I'm 100% sure you've lost your mind.  ;)

As for Blues Brothers v Spaceballs, I'm so glad I wasn't dealt that dog of a match-up.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:29:17 PM by matt tmw »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #688 on: July 05, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »
Yea, I need to catch up on Seinfeld. I'm not sure if it's really angry, but there's something about his style that's a bit more aggressive than most comedians...or maybe it's just me.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #689 on: July 05, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
I think you're confusing angry jew for whiny jew.