love

Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395657 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »
awesome!!!  :)  i recently experienced Re-Animator and also was struck by how great it is

Hmmm, you sure about this Skjer? Whenever I rate a new movie on Netflix I always click on the movie to see what my friends thought of it, and Skjerva didn't like it.  ???

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2009, 12:40:51 AM »
i wanna play

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2009, 12:47:01 AM »
awesome!!!  :)  i recently experienced Re-Animator and also was struck by how great it is

Hmmm, you sure about this Skjer? Whenever I rate a new movie on Netflix I always click on the movie to see what my friends thought of it, and Skjerva didn't like it.  ???

weird, i actually remember having a fun time watching it.  i wonder if that rating is from my last viewing...i best change that :) but i think i might have liked bride more [goes to check], yeah, i gave that one 4 stars

But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2009, 12:52:03 AM »
Nice write-ups, roujin and Bill. I haven't seen any of the four movies in question so I don't really have an opinion on your verdicts.

I had Black Is... Black Ain't in the 90s bracket, roujin. It's a mess but I liked it, definitely check it out sometime.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2009, 12:54:06 AM »

Thanks, and sure, I'll take another.

just to keep things running on the fated path, the next up is You Are Not I vs A Christmas Story, i suspect You Are Not I is just going to get tossed back, i'll do a mini-search after posting this...if hard to find we'll get you a new one :)

Yeah, give me another for sure

Raiders of the Lost Ark vs Model

i wanna play

Stand By Me vs Paris, Texas - a pair likely envied by many
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
Nice write-ups, roujin and Bill. I haven't seen any of the four movies in question so I don't really have an opinion on your verdicts.

Same back to you, except I had the misfortune of seeing Popeye a long time ago, it still haunts the recesses of my brain to this very day.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2009, 12:57:42 AM »
Same back to you, except I had the misfortune of seeing Popeye a long time ago, it still haunts the recesses of my brain to this very day.
:D

There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2009, 01:01:26 AM »
just to keep things running on the fated path, the next up is You Are Not I vs A Christmas Story, i suspect You Are Not I is just going to get tossed back, i'll do a mini-search after posting this...if hard to find we'll get you a new one :)

I just did a quick search myself, and while I came across 89 million entries for a Michael Jackson video, I couldn't find that movie through my usual beautiful thang source. Looks like I'll need another one, sorry.

If Paris, Texas doesn't crush Stand By Me I will be a sad panda, not that SBM is bad, it's just no Paris, Texas.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2009, 01:04:36 AM »

I just did a quick search myself, and while I came across 89 million entries for a Michael Jackson video, I couldn't find that movie through my usual beautiful thang source. Looks like I'll need another one, sorry.

yeah, my searches came up empty.  i think i did some looking for it before and prospects seemed pretty dim...

Diner vs The Unbelievable Truth - that should work, eh?

If Paris, Texas doesn't crush Stand By Me I will be a sad panda, not that SBM is bad, it's just no Paris, Texas.

yeah, as much as i didn't love P, T as much as most everyone else, i expect it to roll past SBM

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2009, 01:08:01 AM »
yeah, my searches came up empty.  i think i did some looking for it before and prospects seemed pretty dim...

Diner vs The Unbelievable Truth - that should work, eh?

If I'm being difficult, let me know, but is there any chance I could have something else? I only ask because I just watched Diner a few weeks ago and don't really want to revisit it so soon. If I am being too difficult then I'll take that match-up, but I wanted to check first.