Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395781 times)

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »
My verdict: everyone did great.

I'm hoping Blue Velvet and The Fly make deep runs in this bracket. They are, after all, two of the best romantic comedy-dramas ever made.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »

I've probably seen this movie 20 or 30 times, but not once in the last 15 years. You know how it is. When you're a kid you just get hooked on this movie or that movie, and you watch it everyday until you've got it memorized. Me and my friend had a great time with this one. It had lots of wacky gross-out scenes, which is what we wanted, but it didn't have any of the sex or swearing that the grown ups wouldn't allow. Only so many films met this criteria.

As I sat down to watch it a couple weeks ago I couldn't remember anything about it outside of a few scenes. I had doubts that I would enjoy the experience. I sort of figured the humour would be too slapstick for my oh-so-mature tastes. Thankfully I was completely wrong. It really cracked me up at times. For all it's weirdness, the film has a lighthearted, charming quality. It grabbed me like a catchy song. The humour was silly but matched the spirit of the film perfectly, and I usually couldn't help but laugh. The performances were a huge part of this. Mainly Michael Keaton, but the supporting cast did their part too.

Visually the movie is just an explosion of creativity and imagination. Much like The Labyrinth, Neverending Story, and Hitchhiker's Guide. It's this quality that I think gives Beetlejuice universal appeal. The humour might not be for everybody, but people of all ages can enjoy the wacky sights. It's really spectacular. The effects shots show there age at times, but it's nothing I'm going to take points off for.

I think the film is smart in that it doesn't get carried away. At 90 minutes long, it's over before it becomes tiresome. I'm glad to have had the chance to revisit it. It was a tonne of fun.

Almost any film that gets paired up with Beetlejuice is going to make for an odd match-up, and Down by Law is no different. In a sentence, it's the mellow jazz of the prison break genre. The humour is subtle, and merely makes you smirk. The black and white cinematography is slow and cool. The music comes and goes, but never raises its voice. And each scene has an unhurried improvised feel. The only thing you'd call lively in this film is Roberto Benigni. He really is the life of the party. Without him I think I might have been lulled to sleep.

For the right person, on the right day, this movie might really hit to spot. I sort of look at it like Scotch; I don't want it every day, but I always keep a bottle on my shelf. Once it got going (40 minutes in) I found myself more interested, but even then my enjoyment was rather mild. Maybe it just wasn't the ideal time. That can happen.

For what it is Down by Law might be an A+ film, but it was my experience that each scene ran a little long and in turn the movie seemed to drag it's heels. I'd still give it a 3/4, but it's not going to move on in this bracket I'm afraid.  :'(

Beetlejuice, say hello to round two!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:40:25 PM by smirnoff »

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2009, 09:50:41 PM »
Resurrection!!

Nice write-up, smirnoff. Beetlejuice is pretty great too, I just happen to love Down by Law.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »
I imagine a lot of people do. :)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2009, 10:04:30 PM »
Resurrection!!

Nice write-up, smirnoff. Beetlejuice is pretty great too, I just happen to love Down by Law.

Yeah, this is a tough one.  Haven't seen Beetlejuice in quite a while, imagine I probably would've gone with Down By Law.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2009, 10:13:36 PM »
I haven't seen Down By Law, but I fully approve of Beetlejuice moving on. It's a really fun movie.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2009, 10:53:42 PM »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2009, 11:12:27 PM »
If I made a movie, Tom Waits would write the score.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »
I haven't seen Down By Law, but I fully approve of Beetlejuice moving on. It's a really fun movie.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2009, 11:48:57 PM »
i haven't seen Beetlejuice forever, hopefully i'll make it happen for the bracket.  as much as i love Jarmusch, i've been kinda luke-warm on DBL over the past several years (it might be my least favorite of his, aside from Permanent Vacation) and smirnoff's write-up makes perfect sense to me.

smirnoff, let us know if you want new flicks
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

love