love

Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395703 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2010, 01:31:50 PM »
Real nice write-up there, michael!

I too was very impressed with Another Woman when I first watched it. It's one of my favourite Woody's so seeing it move on to round 2 makes me really happy. Roger Rabbit... I have no idea. I was a kid last time I watched it. Not much interest in watching it again. Your review kind of confirms my suspicions. :)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »
Another Woman sounds a lot like Wild Strawberries.

Nice write ups!  I can barely remember WFRR so its no big loss for me.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2010, 01:40:08 PM »
Nice write-ups, michael x. I like both of those films but would have gone with Roger. I love the modernist transportation planning conspiracy aspects of it; private interests dismantling the transit system in favour of freeway construction which requires the razing of a minority community (Toontown in this case). Good stuff that is.  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:43:29 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2010, 01:42:50 PM »
I think Woody even uses Bergman's cinematographer.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
I haven't seen Another Woman, but you've made me curious about it with your review, michael. I've seen Roger Rabbit dozens of times, although it's probably been a decade since I last saw it. I think there's a lot to love there, but I'm excited to have something new brought to my attention. So, well done. (That's part of the purpose of these brackets, right?)

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2010, 02:22:50 PM »

Nice write ups!  I can barely remember WFRR so its no big loss for me.

I'm very interested in seeing Wild Strawberries. Roger Ebert made the same connection in his review: "Allen's film is not a remake of "Wild Strawberries" in any sense, but a meditation on the same theme: the story of a thoughtful person, thoughtfully discovering why she might have benefitted from being a little less thoughtful."

I haven't seen Another Woman, but you've made me curious about it with your review, michael. I've seen Roger Rabbit dozens of times, although it's probably been a decade since I last saw it. I think there's a lot to love there, but I'm excited to have something new brought to my attention. So, well done. (That's part of the purpose of these brackets, right?)

I do hope people check out Another Woman, even if they only come to the conclusion that I'm insane. (Though I do think you'll like it quite a bit.)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #346 on: June 04, 2010, 12:30:16 PM »
Of course, maybe if I didn’t detest the sport of basketball, this film would rise above decent sports film to something that holds a place of meaning.

I knew I never liked you.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #347 on: June 04, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »
Of course, maybe if I didn’t detest the sport of basketball, this film would rise above decent sports film to something that holds a place of meaning.

I just can't respect a sport that makes playing defense a penalty. Isn't impeding someone's path to the basket kind of the point? No, wait, that's a blocking foul.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #348 on: June 04, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »

I just can't respect a sport that makes playing defense a penalty. Isn't impeding someone's path to the basket kind of the point? No, wait, that's a blocking foul.

You can impede someone's path to the basket, your feet just need to be set before you get in their way. It's like in football, you can defend against a receiver catching a ball, you just can't grab him before the ball gets there.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #349 on: June 04, 2010, 02:53:20 PM »

You can impede someone's path to the basket, your feet just need to be set before you get in their way. It's like in football, you can defend against a receiver catching a ball, you just can't grab him before the ball gets there.

Exactly, I don't see how it's any different. If that's where your lack of respect stems from, I don't know what to tell you. I can understand having issues with the way games are officiated, but that's just silly.

love