love

Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395655 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #530 on: June 27, 2010, 01:20:54 PM »
I haven't seen either (that I remember) so I'll just assume flieger's right.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #531 on: June 27, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »
House Of Games vs. White Dog

House Of Games

David Mamet as we all know is a great writer. This is directorial debut. I think that it is a success. I believe he has crafted a great con man film in this. I love the fact that all of the characters, mean and women, have equal weight. He does not just shrug the women off, which is strange because he usually writes testosterone filled scripts. Lindsay Crouse and Joe Mantengna are both great in their respective roles, her as a psychiatrist with her own empty life and him as the charismatic con-man. The con plot is meticulous, just as Mamet wants it do be. I like the fact that Mamet is not flashy in his directorial style. He just wants his actors to say his dialogue, and that is basically it, which, when it is Mamet dialogue, is enough for me. Granted there are some people who can not pull it off (I am looking at you Ricky Jay). Overall, this is a very well-crafted con film which I can not wait to re-watch again.

White Dog

This is a very interesting film. It focuses on a beautiful, white German Shepherd, whoi hit by a woman in an accident. She takes the dog to the vet, and, after an encounter with a rapist, takes in the dog. Unbeknownst to her, the former owner was a racist and trained the dog to attack black people. It has some interesting things to say about race relations. It treats the issue as a mental deficiency that, overtime, can be cured. Sam Fuller has crafted a terribly haunting film that is now burned into my brain. The film is shocking and actually disturbing. It is not one that I am itching to pop into the DVD player again. However, it is a truly great film. More people need to seek out this film and see it. On its initial release, it only grossed around $45,000. I want this to get a new life on DVD. Big recommendation by me, if that accounts for anything.

Winner And Advancement To Next Round: White Dog

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #532 on: June 27, 2010, 05:12:27 PM »
Interesting choice. White Dog sounds unique if nothing else.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #533 on: June 27, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
White Dog is amazing.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #534 on: June 27, 2010, 05:52:52 PM »
It is quite good, though I don't consider it top-tier Fuller.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

flieger

« Reply #535 on: June 27, 2010, 05:59:34 PM »
Woohoo! Fuller love!

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #536 on: June 27, 2010, 08:18:43 PM »
House Of Games
Lindsay Crouse and Joe Mantengna are both great in their respective roles, her as a psychiatrist with her own empty life and him as the charismatic con-man. The con plot is meticulous, just as Mamet wants it do be. I like the fact that Mamet is not flashy in his directorial style. He just wants his actors to say his dialogue, and that is basically it, which, when it is Mamet dialogue, is enough for me. Granted there are some people who can not pull it off (I am looking at you Ricky Jay). Overall, this is a very well-crafted con film which I can not wait to re-watch again.

Awww, Ricky Jay is awesome. I've always thought Crouse wasn't very good (though probably a little better than Rebecca Pidgeon in later Mamet films) and she holds the film back from being great.

I like House of Games, but look forward to White Dog.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #537 on: June 27, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »
Basil the Great Mouse Detective vs. Rembrandt Laughing

Verdict: Rembrandt Laughing was up against a weak, weak opponent, but it succeeded on its own terms, and thoroughly deserves to move on to the next round.

Noooo!!!!

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #538 on: June 27, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »
Mamet puts my feet to sleep and White Dog seems pretty interesting. I approve of this verdict.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

flieger

« Reply #539 on: June 27, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »
Seriously, have you people seen The Great Mouse Detective recently, or are you working off of pleasant childhood memories?

It. Was. AWFUL!  :)