Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395710 times)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #570 on: June 29, 2010, 08:08:55 AM »
The Elephant Man vs. Commando
It's too bad these faced off in round one. I'm considering supporting this for resurrection.

I might have to back you up on that.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #571 on: June 29, 2010, 08:44:18 AM »
Yea, looking back, ROTJ was just as stupid as some of the prequels, it just had better actors.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #572 on: June 29, 2010, 09:06:41 AM »
ROTJ is the best SW movie imo. This is a sad day. Also, I will resurrect Commando if I can. Cruel bracket!

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #573 on: June 29, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »
All Of Me vs. Silkwood

All Of Me

This is such a pleasant film to watch. It is delightfully funny with an interesting premise: Can two souls coexist in one body? Steve Martin, I believe, deserved an Academy Award nomination for his performance in this film. Lily Tomlin is also very good in the film, but at the quality of Martin. But Martin's brand of physical comedy in this film is so magnificent to watch that I believe this may be his best on screen performance, at least in the top three. I mean the film does rely more on being charming than being laugh at loud funny, which seems to be most of the cases in the 1980s. However, Martin delivers on some big laughs, and I believe that this film is worth seeing purely for his performance. This would be a solid weekend rental for a couple date night staying in.

Silkwood

This film is frightening in its portrayal of poverty, or, well, on the edge of poverty. It's also scary that this is based on an actual person. The cast in this film is absolutely superb, including Meryl Streep, Kurt Russell, and Cher, yes, even Cher. What is really fascinating about the film is that in these films about people who live poverty are often about hope. This film is not about hope; it is about surviving. This film deals a lot with fear. It deals with the fear of the unknown at the experiences at the power plant. It deals with the fear of losing someone to illness, in this case cancer. It deals with the fear of no one being around to support you of your decisions. And as the film progresses, these fears become even more and more prevalent, and it makes you as the audience very frightened. This film is a difficult sit through. It is one of those 'one-timers' you were glad to see. I recommend people watch this film, no matter how relentless the misery is. The payoff of the film is worth it, but I understand if you do not really want to but it back in the DVD player.

Winner And Advancement To Next Round: Silkwood

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #574 on: June 29, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »
Did you shower afterwards?

[/rimshot]

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #575 on: June 29, 2010, 04:19:06 PM »
I'm getting a sense of "tie goes to the serious film" vibe from a few recent verdicts. Just because it is heavier or more depressing does not mean it is better.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #576 on: June 29, 2010, 04:21:18 PM »
I'm getting a sense of "tie goes to the serious film" vibe from a few recent verdicts. Just because it is heavier or more depressing does not mean it is better.

It was not a tie. All All Of Me really had going for it was Steve Martin to elevate from a standard comedy.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #577 on: June 29, 2010, 05:20:37 PM »

It was not a tie. All All Of Me really had going for it was Steve Martin to elevate from a standard comedy.

glad you liked All of Me as much as you did.  It was one of like 7 vhs tapes we had in the house growing up.  I've seen it more than a couple times!  But you're right - as funny as it can be in places and as good a performance Martin gives, it's no Silkwood. 

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #578 on: June 29, 2010, 10:47:59 PM »
ROTJ is the best SW movie imo. This is a sad day. Also, I will resurrect Commando if I can. Cruel bracket!
Sorry, 'noff. Sometimes brackets make us hurt the ones we love.

You're absolutely right, serious doesn't mean better, but I don't know if that's what's been going on. There's been some tough competition lately.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #579 on: June 30, 2010, 12:58:26 AM »
roujin's 5th verdict: taking back what's mine

River's Edge vs. Border Radio

River's Edge Tim Hunter, 1986

That one dude from Lost randomly kills his girl. He leaves the body next to the river and goes back to the school and tells a few friends. Then he takes them back and they all see the body. This is their friend. Yet they barely have a reaction. The film is kind of about their non-reaction, about how seemingly desensitized they are to what should be something that is jarring. Interesting stuff, for sure. But do you really need an entire character (their teacher) lecturing to his students about this very topic? (he's more ranting against his students than anything and it's extremely annoying) The film boasts some solid filmmaking, but its continually screwed over by its acting and its writing. Crispin Glover is awful in this movie. Just horrible. I couldn't stand to look at him, to listen to him, he's just wrong; and because of this whatever emotional connection there could've been was pretty much impossible. On the writing side, Keanu's kid brother is just ridiculous. His little subplot with the gun (and the last minute reversal - maybe there's hope for this newer generation!) is just baffling. What is this doing in this movie? Anyway, I didn't really like this movie, but it's not all that bad. It shouldn't be in the 2nd round though.

Border Radio Allison Anders + Kurt Voss + Dean Lent, 1987

And River's Edge wouldn't be in the 2nd round if this movie hadn't turned out to be awful. It's the story of... uh, what the CINECAST! is the story? I think it has something to do with some musicians who steal some money and run down to Mexico to hide for a while. But, it doesn't really matter cuz any interest in the happenings in the movie is ruined at any point by any of the following things: no pacing, awful semi-improvised dialogue, absolutely no form, no structure, just nothingness. The whole thing just blerghs along until it just stops. I'll be completely honest: I really wanted to turn it off about 30 minutes in. Aside from an insider's look at the 80's Los Angeles punk scene (and a great soundtrack), I do not see the positives. Maybe you had to be there. What the CINECAST! is this doing with a criterion release? The whole thing just reeks of student film nonsense.

River's Edge moves on, I guess.

love