Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395734 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #620 on: July 02, 2010, 09:34:49 AM »
This one could have gone either way but I'm going to go with The Princess Bride.
1. Because I don't want any of you guys to hate me too much.
2. Synth. soundtrack argh...
Yea, most '80s soundtracks have not aged well.

They were all so bitchin' when they first came out.

Makes me wonder what soundtracks from the last few years aren't going to stand the test of time.... ?
[/quote]

Juno, etc.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #621 on: July 02, 2010, 10:23:15 AM »
Is Juno's soundtrack actually good or just fitting of the film? Garden State of course is timeless.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #622 on: July 02, 2010, 12:27:20 PM »
Prince Of The City vs. Cruising

Prince Of The City

Before this film had come out, Sidney Lumet had already created a great film about morality and police corruption in the NYPD in Serpico. Well, he has done is again in this film as well. Treat Williams stars as Daniel Ciello, a corrupt New York narcotics detective who volunteers himself to go out and expose corrupt cops. It is a shame he was not nominated for Academy Award for his performance. He did get a Golden Globe nomination, which is nice. Even with that said, it is Jerry Orbach who steals the movie as Gus Levy. The only Oscar nod this film received was for it’s screenplay, which is brilliant. The film is structured so well and Lumet and his writing partnerJay Presson Allen are able to nail down cop dialogue brilliantly. Sidney Lumet has proven time and time again that he can make a really great drama an/or thriller. More people need to check this film out because it is right up there, I feel, with Serpico as a great cop film.

Cruising

I defended William Friedkin last time on this bracket because I had a lot of fun with To Live And Die In L.A.. However, with this film, I can not. This film is chaotic, incoherent, and homophobic. In fact, when this was originally released, one man went into a gay bar and shot two men after seeing this film. It portrays just about all gay men as those who are always strapped in leather. Some say that this is just a portrait of that section of the gay community, but you never see any other section in the film to compare it to. I think that the filmmakers believed this was an accurate portrayal of the gay community. But the film itself is just lousy on its own terms. The plot is ridiculous and Pacino is just on the verge from going from Dog Day Afternoon to full on “Hoo-Ahh!”. This film is a mess, avoid it.

Winner And Advancement To Next Round: Prince Of The City

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #623 on: July 02, 2010, 12:32:05 PM »
full on “Hoo-Ahh!”
:D

Keep up the good work.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #624 on: July 02, 2010, 12:43:18 PM »
Is Juno's soundtrack actually good or just fitting of the film? Garden State of course is timeless.

I was thinking more along the lines of popular. Obviously Juno has a few good tunes (Kinks!). I could see Garden State feeling pretty dated. Or at least hating it for what it spawned.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #625 on: July 02, 2010, 01:00:50 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of popular. Obviously Juno has a few good tunes (Kinks!). I could see Garden State feeling pretty dated. Or at least hating it for what it spawned.

Yes. Juno has "Piazza, New York Catcher" and Cat Power's "Sea of Love" cover on it. Those are two perfect perfect songs.

I feel like every person I knew in 2004-2005 who liked music but didn't know how to go about figuring it out on their own had the Garden State soundtrack. And then they were, like, oh! Iron & Wine is that "Such Great Heights" band! And then I had to be angry for awhile.

Okay. I've tried to eradicate many of my snobbish feelings and behaviors, but I'm realizing that I'm a snob about soundtracks. Anyway, sorry. Probably not the place for this conversation. ...The 80s!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #626 on: July 02, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »
I feel like every person I knew in 2004-2005 who liked music but didn't know how to go about figuring it out on their own had the Garden State soundtrack. And then they were, like, oh! Iron & Wine is that "Such Great Heights" band! And then I had to be angry for awhile.

Are you upset because Iron & Wine isn't just that "Such Great Heights" band or because the Such Great Heights band is really The Postal Service (who is vastly better than I&W :P)

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #627 on: July 02, 2010, 07:45:05 PM »

Are you upset because Iron & Wine isn't just that "Such Great Heights" band or because the Such Great Heights band is really The Postal Service (who is vastly better than I&W :P)

Well, I was going to say both until you got to the end of that statement, which is mired in factual inaccuracy. There are three good songs on that Postal Service album, and they still don't manage to avoid the laugh-out-loud melodramaticism that is the trademark of Ben Gibbard's writing. I couldn't follow I&W through The Shepherd's Dog, but Sam Beam writes delicate, subtle, surreal, beautiful lyrics in The Creek Drank the Cradle and Our Endless Numbered Days, and I will probably treasure those albums forever.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #628 on: July 02, 2010, 08:02:36 PM »
As a big Death Cab fan as well I'm just going to ignore that slander :D

I rate my music much like I rate my movies so it means quite a bit that for a ten song CD, 6 are 5 star and another one each are 3 or 4 star. But I'm drifting off topic.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #629 on: July 02, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
There was a brief time when I thought I might prefer Iron & Wine's cover of "Such Great Heights" to the original.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad