love

Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395882 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #740 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:37 AM »
How can I put this?
Huh?
Yeah, that's it.
 ???

I'm just saying traditional feminism has prioritized getting women ahead in the face of patriarchy over true gender equality and I find it counter-productive and a product of the identity politics present in far-left ideology. I use egalitarianism as a preferable gender neutral term. This example from the film is basically saying men aren't allowed to be sissies that think about how social norms disadvantage them...that is women's work. I think this is a problematic statement in many ways.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #741 on: July 12, 2010, 12:34:04 AM »

I'm glad it moved on. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it more. :-\ How'd you like the soundtrack? :)

I actually watched it a while back so I don't remember the soundtrack.  I can't remember it sticking out to me, but then again sound tracks rarely do.  I actually own the movie, so I will probably watch it again
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

flieger

« Reply #742 on: July 12, 2010, 12:57:24 AM »
How can I put this?
Huh?
Yeah, that's it.
 ???

I'm just saying traditional feminism has prioritized getting women ahead in the face of patriarchy over true gender equality and I find it counter-productive and a product of the identity politics present in far-left ideology. I use egalitarianism as a preferable gender neutral term. This example from the film is basically saying men aren't allowed to be sissies that think about how social norms disadvantage them...that is women's work. I think this is a problematic statement in many ways.

Yeah, the thing is, I really don't think that's what the film is about at all. So the "Huh" was more to do with the air of general antipathy towards what you perceive as "feminism" and "far-left politics", how that tainted your review, and really says very little about what Rainer was actually trying to do in this film. She might not have made a successful film, and that's all well and good, but I doubt that the NY Times moment was the crucial fulcrum of the film's themes.

As for "traditional feminism" and all that malarkey, I'm pretty sure feminism has done a good job all on its own problematising second-wave feminist stances, and moving on from there.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #743 on: July 12, 2010, 02:32:19 AM »
I was just grasping at one moment that was particularly notable to me, not because it was of importance in the film, thematically, but because it is a topic of particular interest to me. I think the broader problem is with the avant garde style for which I have minimal tolerance as someone who likes plot or narrative above all else. So combining stylistic annoyance with feeling like I'm sitting in on a lecture that I'm not finding very rewarding (because it comes from a perspective that I find deeply flawed), it just doesn't work and my antipathy toward the politics was not even the crucial element here.

I really do think the best comparison is Waking Life in that it combines many snippets of fairly high-minded discussion woven around a basic narrative. It happens to be more stylistically satisfying and coherent while also being on a topic that captures my attention. It manages to have a greater breadth of perspective around its topic (which is a bit easier since there aren't really ideological fault lines involved in such questions). One of the things I think is most effective is actually the images/articles on the wall for which the NYT article is one and how she ties together a few themes. If it had stuck more to this and abandoned some of the less effective choices, I think that would have made a big difference.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #744 on: July 12, 2010, 09:38:34 AM »
The Outsiders
(Francis Ford Coppola, 1983)

Not much to get excited about here. Bad bad acting by almost everybody. It's too bad Swayze didn't have a bigger role, because he was the only one I could take seriously. Matt Dillon was atrocious. Ralph Macchio and whoever played Ponyboy were awful too. The bad acting combined with lines like "Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold" just make you role your eyes. This film gave me no reason to overlook the cheesiness. The Romeo & Juliet-like lover story, the rich kids versus the poor kids dilemma... . I was not into it at all.

Apparently you weren't a 13 year old girl in the early 80's... (one of my wife's all time favorite films - I've never been able to get through the whole thing)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #745 on: July 12, 2010, 11:06:33 AM »
The Outsiders
(Francis Ford Coppola, 1983)

Not much to get excited about here. Bad bad acting by almost everybody. It's too bad Swayze didn't have a bigger role, because he was the only one I could take seriously. Matt Dillon was atrocious. Ralph Macchio and whoever played Ponyboy were awful too. The bad acting combined with lines like "Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold" just make you role your eyes. This film gave me no reason to overlook the cheesiness. The Romeo & Juliet-like lover story, the rich kids versus the poor kids dilemma... . I was not into it at all.

Apparently you weren't a 13 year old girl in the early 80's... (one of my wife's all time favorite films - I've never been able to get through the whole thing)

Gimme Dirty Dancing any day. One of the best in the bracket.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #746 on: July 12, 2010, 12:51:52 PM »
Hey smirnoff, those stills you posted from The Outsiders has made me fall in love with that film all over again. I haven't seen Thief.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #747 on: July 12, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
Hey smirnoff, those stills you posted from The Outsiders has made me fall in love with that film all over again.

;D It's so cheesy! But I understand... love it blind and stuff.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #748 on: July 12, 2010, 12:59:01 PM »
Hey smirnoff, those stills you posted from The Outsiders has made me fall in love with that film all over again.
;D It's so cheesy! But I understand... love it blind and stuff.
I have very happy memories of watching The Outsiders, The Jericho Mile (Michael Mann!), and The Wanderers on A&E on Saturday afternoons as a kid.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #749 on: July 12, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »
Stay gold, Ponyboy :'(

love