love

Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395907 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #790 on: July 14, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »
I've never seen Talking To Strangers but I do love Fast Times. Resurrection!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #791 on: July 14, 2010, 10:26:10 PM »
It is a film that revels in teenage promiscuity (not just having sex, but having cheap sex, unrewarding sex and then lying about it to further the everyone should do it at any chance pressure). And I do think that if you dig in you can find that by showing the unrewarding nature of this lifestyle the film is actually saying something else; it cops to a "but we learned our lesson in the end" sort of thing and all. But this seems a bit hypocritical coming from a film that takes such pride in its lewd content.

I don't think it takes pride in it. It's not a deep film but I think Fast Times demonizes all the pro sex characters to a certain extent.

I wouldn't say it particularly demonizes either of the girls (who only talk about boys, thus failing the Bechdel Test). This is for the best in one case. Stacy's abortion is carried off matter of factly without indication that it was emotionally challenging. I saw an article recently about Friday Night Lights where a character was thinking about an abortion and this feminist author was hoping she'd go through it and not be emotionally scarred. 1982 was basically the peak of abortion rates in the US (and also basically when I was born...I'm a survivor) so it is interesting how this film represents a very different world than the world of Juno. Though I kind of like the world of Juno and Eclipse. I guess I'm just a bit of a social conservative (though in personal choice, not in politics). Ultimately I figure if people can so easily dismiss the Twilight series based on what they interpret to be problematic social norms, I can dismiss Fast Times in a similar way.

flieger

« Reply #792 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52:20 PM »
It is a film that revels in teenage promiscuity (not just having sex, but having cheap sex, unrewarding sex and then lying about it to further the everyone should do it at any chance pressure). And I do think that if you dig in you can find that by showing the unrewarding nature of this lifestyle the film is actually saying something else; it cops to a "but we learned our lesson in the end" sort of thing and all. But this seems a bit hypocritical coming from a film that takes such pride in its lewd content.

I don't think it takes pride in it. It's not a deep film but I think Fast Times demonizes all the pro sex characters to a certain extent.

I wouldn't say it particularly demonizes either of the girls (who only talk about boys, thus failing the Bechdel Test). This is for the best in one case. Stacy's abortion is carried off matter of factly without indication that it was emotionally challenging. I saw an article recently about Friday Night Lights where a character was thinking about an abortion and this feminist author was hoping she'd go through it and not be emotionally scarred. 1982 was basically the peak of abortion rates in the US (and also basically when I was born...I'm a survivor) so it is interesting how this film represents a very different world than the world of Juno. Though I kind of like the world of Juno and Eclipse. I guess I'm just a bit of a social conservative (though in personal choice, not in politics). Ultimately I figure if people can so easily dismiss the Twilight series based on what they interpret to be problematic social norms, I can dismiss Fast Times in a similar way.

Sheesh, what a total misreading. *bites tongue* Thank gods this is just a game...  ::)

Resurrection!

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #793 on: July 14, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »
I feel like every post these days has to relate to twilight in some ways... can't we just look at Fast Times on its own merits. It's a great movie.
Although it doesn't demonize the characters, a lot of them are unsympathetic. Realistically so, as they're all teenage kids/stereotypes.

flieger

« Reply #794 on: July 14, 2010, 11:09:24 PM »
I feel like every post these days has to relate to twilight in some ways... can't we just look at Fast Times on its own merits. It's a great movie.
Although it doesn't demonize the characters, a lot of them are unsympathetic. Realistically so, as they're all teenage kids/stereotypes.

Absolutely. Good call.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #795 on: July 14, 2010, 11:26:14 PM »
I watched Fast Times fairly recently.  I was surprised at how bad it was.  Very unfunny, for the most part.  Elizabethtown is substantially better, I think.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #796 on: July 15, 2010, 12:09:13 AM »
I watched Fast Times fairly recently.  I was surprised at how bad it was.  Very unfunny, for the most part.  Elizabethtown is substantially better, I think.
But the cut to Led Zep playing on their date...the sweetness of Judge Reinhold waiting for Jennifer Jason Leigh outside the clinic...Spicoli. Spicoli!

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #797 on: July 15, 2010, 12:15:31 AM »
But the cut to Led Zep playing on their date...the sweetness of Judge Reinhold waiting for Jennifer Jason Leigh outside the clinic...Spicoli. Spicoli!
Hmm, maybe it's finally time for another Random Movie Death Match.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #798 on: July 15, 2010, 12:34:21 AM »
I feel like every post these days has to relate to twilight in some ways.

It is called a frame, a rhetorical device that I thought would be a fun way of getting into my concerns. I didn't realize I was being held to film essayist standards in these verdicts. On its own merits I found Fast Times unfunny and largely morally questionable (and unrealistic) in delivery if not in ultimate intention. I thought most of the performances/characters were not great. Matt does hit upon the very best moment with Brad waiting for Stacy and generally being supportive. More of that would be welcome Twilight has nothing to do with my not connecting with it.

At the end of the day, let's remember that there is another side to this verdict, the really interesting, unconventional film that I quite liked and I hope the next person to get it will appreciate.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #799 on: July 15, 2010, 12:36:43 AM »
Hmm, maybe it's finally time for another Random Movie Death Match.
I'd wait in line for Ramones tickets with Riff Randell any day of the week.

love