love

Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395773 times)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #820 on: July 18, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »
Why doesn't this board have an emoticon of a face banging it's head into the wall?  I'd post that for the next 1000 posts.

Such a waste of a resurrection.  You're not sending RoTJ home, you're probably sending another great film that's now not going to get that resurrection spot.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 12:41:29 PM by BlueVoid »
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #821 on: July 18, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »
Such a sad, sad day...

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #822 on: July 18, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »
Such a sad, sad day...
I had no idea you were such a Michael Moore fan, Bill.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #823 on: July 18, 2010, 12:41:36 PM »
Such a sad, sad day...
I had no idea you were such a Michael Moore fan, Bill.

Listen tomorrow man, your wit is not welcome here.  :)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #824 on: July 18, 2010, 12:48:46 PM »
 ;)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #825 on: July 18, 2010, 01:02:06 PM »
Cat People won't make it out of round 2 alive. It looks ridonkulous.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #826 on: July 18, 2010, 02:12:59 PM »
Cat People won't make it out of round 2 alive. It looks ridonkulous.

Cat People is awesome. Roujin is such a good boy.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #827 on: July 18, 2010, 03:43:07 PM »
roujin, you are so wrong about this. Empire is a fantastic space action flick with a conclusion that is...

Wait, what was I saying?

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #828 on: July 18, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Why doesn't this board have an emoticon of a face banging it's head into the wall?  I'd post that for the next 1000 posts.

Such a waste of a resurrection.  You're not sending RoTJ home, you're probably sending another great film that's now not going to get that resurrection spot.

Here you go BlueVoid:

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #829 on: July 18, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
The Unbelievable Truth

vs.

Diner

The Unbelievable Truth
Hal Hartley

Sometimes a movie can be a complete mess and yet still be totally enjoyable.  'The Unbelievable Truth' pretty much defines this category of film.  Hal Hartley's debut feature is about Audry(Adrienne Shelly), a gifted high school student who has been rendered apathetic after the realization that everything is pointless since the world is in it's final days due to the atomic bomb.  Convinced that the human race is not responsible enough to hold such a powerful weapon she spends her days waiting for the bombs to start falling in a zombie state of depression.  That is until the day the dark and mysterious Josh(Robert Burke) strolls back into town after a long stint in prison and she falls in love.  The only problem is that he was involved in the deaths of Audry's friend's sister and father.

I have no idea what to make of this film.  I can't slap any one label on it.  On one hand its a comedy, on the other hand its dark and dramatic.  It's terribly acted and the dialog sounds like its being read directly from a script, and yet it somehow all works.   When I first started watching it, I was confused.  It seemed like the quality of a bottom of the barrel straight to video piece of garbage, and yet it just draws you in.  The lines are so stiff and awkward that I had to laugh out loud, and I'm not entirely sure that this was done accidently.  The film also takes you by surprise.  I'm going along laughing at the absurdity then suddenly it switches in an instant and a line really lands, and its meaningful.  To be able to juggle these kind of elements in a film is nothing short of remarkable, and I'm not sure I've seen it done quite like this before.

It had everything I love in a movie.  It has a campy 80's feel, some great lines and some material that actually makes you think. It's not by any stretch of the imagination flawless.  The plot borders on ridiculous and the characters are all entirely one sided caricatures, and yet, its great because of those flaws.  It's not taking itself to seriously, even if it pretends to be.  I'm surprised this hasn't obtained more of a cult following.  It's one of those films that is endlessly re-watchable and quotable.  One of those few films that I'd love to own so that I could pop it in when I'm down and feel better.  I'm not even going to try and explain what makes it so great, it simply works and I had a great time with it.

Diner
Barry Levinson

A bunch of guys hanging out.  That's the way it was for the group of friends in highschool, and now in their 20's its still the same.  No matter where life has taken them, or the problems in their personal lives, these group of friends can find safe haven in the Diner, where they instantly get taken back to a less complicated era and can just have a good time.  The film takes place in Baltimore in 1959, as the group of friends gather for one of the guy's wedding. The group as a whole is the star, played by a great ensemble cast early in their careers consisting of Steven Guttenberg, Daniel Stern, Mickey Rourke, Kevin Bacon, Tim Daly and Paul Reiser.  There isn't so much a narrative as it is a series of situations that take place leading up to one of the friend's weddings.

In the beginning everyone in the clan seems to only be interested in extending their highschool antics.  Wanting to live the care free, wild, days of their youth for as long as possible.  Meeting at the diner and hanging around their old friends allows them to prolong this.  The Diner almost seems like a support group immaturity.  Life has a habit of catching up, however.  They aren't teenagers anymore, and slowly this fact starts to sink in.  They learn that they don't have to give up having fun, and lose comradery simply because they are maturing.

I had a hard time buying into some of the complete pig-headedness of some of the group.  In general the film paints women in a pretty poor light, and while the film is meant to highlight the maturing of the boys, and eventual respect of women, it never quite got there.  What little narrative there was felt shallow, never quite earning the payoff.  The turnaround from immature boys to mature men happens all too quickly for a feeling of authenticity.  What does work is the banter between the group.  It feels like this group of friends have been hanging around the diner of years.  It's very natural feeling and I'm a sucker for good quick dialog.  The problem is, the film isn't funny enough to be taken too lightly, nor poignant enough to be taken seriously.  I was left being mildly amused, but not really getting much out of it.

Verdict: I had a good time with both films, but it's really not that hard of a choice.  I had a much better time with The Unbelievable Truth and it moves on.  On the plus side for Diner though, is that it has a great cast.  Seeing a young Mickey Rourke is enough reason to check it out.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

love