love

Author Topic: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts  (Read 395923 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: 1980s US Bracket: Verdicts
« Reply #1980 on: July 08, 2013, 12:29:20 AM »
Amaretto is a digestif, a liqueur that aids digestion, and thus is a delicious and practical desert.

:D

The things I'm learning. I think I'd still go with chocolate.

I'll see if I can find your reviews for that round...

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1981 on: July 08, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
Cinnebon doesn't aid my digestion but that what's I'd have. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1982 on: July 08, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »
Cinnebon doesn't aid my digestion

QFT

but that what's I'd have. :)

and QFT! :)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #1983 on: July 10, 2013, 02:32:57 AM »
Another Woman
I haven't been giving Woody Allen enough love in this bracket, his films are always good and enjoyable but never enough to get by other more interesting movies. Another Woman was an amazing discovery. A lot of the Allen movies I've watched for this bracket I'd heard of, at least by name, but I had not immediately realized that this was one of Allen's works and was pleasantly surprised by its quality. Comparisons to Bergman might apply but I am not familiar enough with Ingmar's work to make that correlation. What I do know, is that Another Woman is a fantastic film. Very much a Woody Allen film but with heavier themes and a more serious tone. Rowlands is strong as always and the fact that Allen himself isn't in the film allows it to have its own life outside of the neurotic Allen persona. I really found this movie exciting and fascinating and hope that more people get to see it.

Vs

The Thing
John Carpenter's The Thing is incredible. With its gorgeous wide-framed cinematography, perhaps the greatest creature effects ever portrayed on screen and the scenes of immense tension and excitement, this movie is the definition of a great creature feature. Endlessly emulated by so many other films it is a landmark of horror film history. I rewatched it for the bracket and it held up on a second viewing.

Verdict:
Both films are really fantastic but Another Woman gets my vote.
I have no idea how my fellow bracketeers will vote on this one but I will be happy either way.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1984 on: July 10, 2013, 02:42:03 AM »
Yes!

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #1985 on: July 10, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »
Another Woman
I really like Woody Allen. I like everything about his movies, and have probably seen more of his movies than any other director. His movies, while keeping some elements consistent, fall in a wide range of genres. 'Another Woman' falls in with his more serious works like 'Interiors'. With 'Interiors' Allen seemed to be channeling Bergman, one of his idols, and here the connection is more pronounced. more then just being influenced, Allen appears to be making an homage to Bergman's 'Wild Strawberries'. Like in 'Strawberries', this film features a person, this time a woman, in the twilight of their life re-examining their interactions and influence with people and the value of their life. 'Bananas', this is not.

I didn't love this movie. A woman reexamining her life, age forcing her to really open her eyes for the first time. It's done pretty well. But I can't shake the comparison to Wild Strawberries, and this simply is no where near as good. I know this isn't fair, since I don't think Allen was trying to make a film as good as the Bergman classic. I can't help but compare them though, and I just feel its more worthwhile to go rewatch 'Strawberries'. I wouldn't be so harsh on this, but the problem is I really didn't like the characters. It's set in upper class New York which is not something I identify with. Normally this is fine in Allen movies since its more easy to laugh along with something you don't personally identify with then it is to sympathize in a dramatic portrayal. Gena Rowlands in the lead role was cold and unlikable. I completely understood why so many people didn't like her, she wasn't pleasant. The problem is I don't know if she ever grew during the course of the movie. I'm not saying I don't like the serious side of Allen, but I am saying that this one didn't work for me.

The Thing
The Thing might be my favorite horror movie of all time. I'm going to mostly quote from my review from awhile ago, since my views mostly stayed the same on the rewatch.

"This is the height of suspense horror. Stranded on a base in Antarctica, a group of scientists come in contact with an alien life form which can mutate with any living life form. Quickly the team starts to turn on one another, not knowing who might have become infected with the alien. One thing is certain, if the alien escapes it could wipe out civilization. What follows is a brilliant mix of psychological terror and good old fashioned gore.

I'm not a fan of gross gore-fests, but in this case it works. In an age before CG, everything was done physically and this only adds to the grotesqueness of the biological monstrosities which the creature turns into. It is both revolting and some how artful. It makes me sad that this is art of the past, and we'll probably not get these kind of tactile effects again. Nearly 30 years after the movie was made, the effects hold up and are terrifying. That's not something I can say of CG effects that came out even five years ago.

While the gruesome deaths, and stomach-turning 'transformations' give this movie a fun throwback monster movie feel, what I love about it is that it goes much deeper than that. The physiological torment which the team experiences is griping. Talk about suspense. Not only is there a body-consuming alien tormenting your camp, but your best friend might be the alien. Not to mention if you don't kill it, civilization will probably be wiped out. Now those are some stakes, and the film does a great job portraying how people would react in this kind of situation. It's not a typical screamer movie, the characters are nuanced and have some depth. Not to mention Kurt Russel makes a pretty awesome 'scruffy-cool' guy.

'The Thing' is one of those rare films which is genre-defying, yet firmly rooted in its horror roots. I'm not typically a fan of horror, but I appreciate when a movie of any genre if its done well. It's one of those films which I wanted to watch again as soon as it was over. It's one of only a handful of horror movies that I can honestly put in the 'great' category."

On the rewatch I was struck by just how ridiculous everything is. It is. It's a silly movie. But I love it. It held up very well and is extremely enjoyable.

Verdict: For as much as I love Woody Allen films, 'Another Woman' just wasn't up my alley, and unfortunately it was matched up against one of my favorites in this bracket. 'The Thing' moves on and I hope it goes much further!
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1986 on: July 10, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »
Solid write-ups which I wholeheartledly disagree with! ;)

Poker was cancelled for tonight so I'll break the brief deadlock before bedtime (it's 1/2 written at this point.)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1987 on: July 10, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »

My Dinner with Andre - Louis Malle, 1981

The first half of their dinner date is dominated by Dre recounting his travels while Wally listens in perplexed fascination – his reaction shots struck me as pretty terrible acting, by the way. Before long the film establishes a dichotomy between the two; one who is searching for meaning and new experiences, and the other who takes a more pragmatic approach to life and work. At first glance their conflicting worldviews appear to be entrenched and neither thinker is willing to budge, however, I think the film is really about the production of a new perspective - thesis, antithesis, synthesis. The film is book-ended by Wally shuffling through the city to the restaurant in an Eeyore-like fashion, and gliding through the streets on his way home with a renewed disposition. He may still not be inclined to run off to a remote Polish forest for wackadoodle experimental theatre shenanigans, but he’s very much better off for having engaged Andre in the dialogue. This is all well and good, but I can’t say this journey did much for me. It certainly does have moments that piqued my interest and I suppose I admire its unique structure (or maybe I don’t admire it as much as I’m cognizant of the fact that others do), but by and large I’m not particularly enthusiastic about the ideas expressed here or how they're presented. Too much of their conversation, for me, seemed obvious. I don’t know, maybe obvious isn't the right word. I think I’m trying to say I just don’t care. Love that waiter, though.

When Harry Met Sally... - Rob Reiner, 1989

The 'Annie Hall as a sitcom' charge is pretty tired, but it's hard to ignore it. To clarify, however, considering my general affection for the sitcom form, I don't think of that as much an indictment as others probably do. It's totally unfashionable to say so, but I think Meg Ryan is pretty charming and deftly capable with Ephron's dialogue. Speaking of which, I imagine Ephron is due for some kind of critical re-appraisal (read this if you’ve got nothing else to do). The response to her death suggested a heck of a lot of good will despite crimes against comedy like Hanging Up and Bewitched. And certainly compared to a Nancy Meyers Joint, WHMS... is undoubtedly a gem. Back on topic: in my mind the film is divided into three parts, and something of a diminishing returns principle can be applied to these sections. My favourite section is the encounters at the beginning, before Harry and Sally are friends – the writing seemed sharpest here and the dynamic between the leads most entertaining. The second section of the film, once H and S are pals has its charms, but Crystal’s sad-sack performance drags the proceedings a bit. The final section commences once they have sex and the film devolves into a by rote grind to the inevitable finish. Long story short, this one isn’t as special to me as it is for a lot of other folks, but I always get some enjoyment out of it when I cross its path.

Verdict: When Harry Met Sally... gets my vote, because I like it more.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1988 on: July 10, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »
I like your verdict mañana, but what I really like, is another vote for Meg Ryan! And, Nora Ephron too!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1989 on: July 10, 2013, 08:47:29 PM »
:no: