Author Topic: July MDC Write-Ups: Free Skate Round  (Read 33853 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: July MDC Write-Ups: Free Skate Round
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 04:37:55 PM »
Old Joy (2006)

I’ve often talked about the need for movies to not tell you their point, of my love of movies that let the audience form their own conclusions. Old Joy marks the second Kelly Reichardt film I have seen, the first being Wendy And Lucy, and with her style of film making Miss Reichardt is a woman after my own heart. She eschews the traditional narrative structure entirely for a slowly moving naturalistic style that relies on the astute observations of the audience. It’s hard to label her films as having any sort of story, because while there is a story in Old Joy, it’s paper thin and only serves to enhance the tone and atmosphere that Reichardt wants to get across. This type of film making isn’t for everyone, but I am a student of the Werner Herzog and Gus Van Sant style, and while they may place more emphasis on traditional narrative, their works have the same meditative, personal style as found in Reichardt’s movies.

I often struggle with how to read movies, sometimes an apple is just an apple, but other times an apple is actually famine in Ethiopia, if you get my meaning. Old Joy can be viewed as a straight friendship tale, the slowly decaying bond of a friendship long forgotten. There is plenty of depth to be found in Old Joy if the viewer chooses to only look at the film from that perceptive. However, in this instance due to the director in question as well as the framing devices used in Old Joy I found myself delving deeper into the meaning behind what was going on.

I think it’s fairly obvious that Miss Reichardt is fascinated with societal disconnect. In Wendy And Lucy she explored the disconnect in society that results from a stark economic climate. In Old Joy she tackles the idea of politics. Now, at this point I am sure any number of people are sighing and proclaiming, “C’mon Bill, just because politics were discussed on the car radio the film is all about politics, give me a break!” I understand this reaction, but at the same time I find my interpretation of the film to be perfectly in line with the sensibilities of the woman behind the camera.

Mark and Kurt’s friendship is on the decline just as the common citizen’s relationship with the political world is on the decline. In this way both men represent both sides of the spectrum. They are both the common man and the political climate, they are Jimmy Moon from Berkeley, Illinois and the Senator from Utah who represents America. There is a growing disconnect between the common citizen and the entity we refer to as America. Reichardt is in favor of using the fringe element of society to show this disconnect in clear fashion. The common citizen can’t connect to the current political world, they can’t connect with what America has become because of its politics. How can one proudly claim to be a citizen of a country when they don’t understand the policies being put forth or the process behind the entire system? Mark and Kurt show a growing inability to connect with one another and this mirrors the growing inability of America to connect to its citizens and vice-versa.

What most highlights this feeling of disconnect with America that Old Joy gives off is the lack of intimacy in the actions of Mark and Kurt. Even when they reach their most serene moment, when they are finally at the hot springs, there is a distance between them. They have reached their goal, yet that goal doesn’t bring them any closer. We hear all the time of some sort of goal that America wants to reach, yet the joy we feel from reaching said goals is less and less as every year goes by. As we reach our individual goals we don’t feel that our country cares in the slightest, what we do matters naught in the grand scale of things. I could go on and on with the parallels I found in Old Joy in the idea of this American disconnect. As I said, I’m sure a lot of people think I am reading too much into it, but I can only tell you what I took in as I watched the movie.

There’s a natural vibe behind Old Joy, in the dialogue, the cinematography, the camera movements, the acting, etc.. The drama isn’t really drama, it’s more a natural part of life, it isn’t a dramatic event engineered for the movie, it’s a natural occurrence that makes perfect sense. Old Joy, and the works of Miss Reichardt, connect with me on a visceral level because of how natural they are and how honest they feel. I love being able to come to my own conclusions, and I love a director who is willing to give me the freedom to formulate my own thoughts. For this and many other reasons I loved Old Joy and am happy to Skjerva for the dictation.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 07:19:28 AM »
Bill, I never thought of Old Joy that way but it makes total sense. I'm glad you enjoyed it, everyone should be seeing Reichardts films.
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 12:22:10 PM »
Chungking Express

While watching Chungking Express, I was a bit confused about the plot.  I knew that it was two stories, but I was hoping that they would somehow connect, or wrap up together.  It was only when I read Wong Kar-wai's quote that there are two stories that are really the same story that it made sense.

In the first section, the plot was more confusing, and the characters less appealing.  But the cinematography was fantastic.  I love the crowded, fast feel it gives.  I just wish I had more background on Briggit Linn's character, and that her part of the story was more paced so I could understand what was really going on.  But the theme, of everyone being so close, but no one connecting or understanding each other was very clear and well presented.

In the second story, it felt more like a romantic comedy, which was a great contrast to the first, somewhat darker story.  I understood the plot better and the characters were likable.  But I wasn't interested in seeing more of it.  There was no bite, nothing really for me to be absorbed in.  Thoroughly enjoyable, but not complelling.

For each story, I'd give a three out of five stars, because they were both good, but both seemed lacking in their own ways.  But together, I'd give the film a three and a half, because there is another layer of connections between the stories, and how the themes work together.

Thanks, Clovis8 for dictating it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »
Together directed by Lukas Moodysson

Together is my July Movie Dictator Club film dictated by zarodinu. I was a bit apprehensive when I read the Netflix envelope giving the synopsis on this Swedish film, but I had no choice. So today I popped it into the DVD player and gave it a shot. The beginning was a bit slow and the characters where quite annoying. The story is about an abused women and her two misfit children who move in with the woman's brother, Goran, who lives in a hippie commune with a bunch of other people. Including his girlfriend, with which he has an open relationship, a newly divorced couple (the women who is now a lesbian), and various other occupants.

As I stated previously I was a bit annoyed by the characters, they were whiney and self-righteous. I had no connection to any of them and felt very bad for the children that were in this home. But slowly I started to warm up to the characters as they all made life changes. The acting is wonderful in this film. Michael Nyqvist plays Rolf, the abusive husband perfectly. He is an actor that could be a silent film star, he shows so much emotion on his face and never overacts. I also loved Goran. He is such a great character and his change at the end was perfect.The kids are solid and the other supporting actors are all good. The direction left a bit to be desired but he was trying something and I can respect him for it. By the end of this film I was grinning from ear to ear and loving every moment.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 04:43:24 PM »
Sounds like an interesting experience Ned.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »
I would definitely check it out if you haven't seen it.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 04:59:45 AM »

As I stated previously I was a bit annoyed by the characters, they were whiney and self-righteous. I had no connection to any of them and felt very bad for the children that were in this home. But slowly I started to warm up to the characters as they all made life changes. The acting is wonderful in this film. Michael Nyqvist plays Rolf, the abusive husband perfectly. He is an actor that could be a silent film star, he shows so much emotion on his face and never overacts. I also loved Goran. He is such a great character and his change at the end was perfect.The kids are solid and the other supporting actors are all good. The direction left a bit to be desired but he was trying something and I can respect him for it. By the end of this film I was grinning from ear to ear and loving every moment.

Glad you watched and liked it, definitely in my all time top 5.  I think the characters are supposed to off putting initially, they are hippies after all, people who take generally good ideas to absurd extremes.  They are never caricatures though, and their humanity does shine through in the end.  I agree with you that Rolf is a great, the actor succeeds at making a pretty loathsome character sympathetic and makes us cheer for his redemption.  I love Goran, just wanna hug him, this movie has the best breakup scene in cinema history and he builds up to it for the whole movie.  Finally, I also loved Rolf's friend, the lonely guy he hangs out with, another great, understated performance.   

This movie also deals with some interesting themes such as solitude vs community, and idealism vs the reality of human nature.  I am glad it brought a smile to your face, it never fails to bring one to mine.  Thanks for watching and reviewing, and yeah you should check it out Smirnoff.

PS:  If you are bored and don't wanna wait till August, check out Woman in the Dunes, #1 movie of all time far as Z is concerned.     
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 07:07:22 AM »

Glad you watched and liked it, definitely in my all time top 5.  I think the characters are supposed to off putting initially, they are hippies after all, people who take generally good ideas to absurd extremes.  They are never caricatures though, and their humanity does shine through in the end.  I agree with you that Rolf is a great, the actor succeeds at making a pretty loathsome character sympathetic and makes us cheer for his redemption.  I love Goran, just wanna hug him, this movie has the best breakup scene in cinema history and he builds up to it for the whole movie.  Finally, I also loved Rolf's friend, the lonely guy he hangs out with, another great, understated performance.   

This movie also deals with some interesting themes such as solitude vs community, and idealism vs the reality of human nature.  I am glad it brought a smile to your face, it never fails to bring one to mine.  Thanks for watching and reviewing, and yeah you should check it out Smirnoff.

PS:  If you are bored and don't wanna wait till August, check out Woman in the Dunes, #1 movie of all time far as Z is concerned.     

I really liked how the characters were developed. It was one of the most realistic depictions of people making pretty extreme changes I have seen. In a weird way it kind of reminded me Happiness.

Woman in the Dunes is next on in my queue. I will be suggesting this to others and want to check out his other films. Thanks again for dictating this.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 01:41:27 PM »
Eureka (Shinji Aoyama, 2000)
A truly unique and powerful film. It’s part road movie, part mystery, part meditation on the effect of trauma; and it's immersed in this quiet emotional tension that almost has the rhythm of a ghost story. The opening sequence is brilliantly paced and edited, it’s restrained in terms of what it shows, but what little violence there is had me absolutely riveted. I wasn’t actually aware of the film’s plot before hand, but from moment one, there’s an ominous tone knotting up my stomach.

The kids’ performances are great, the mere sight of Kozue is pure cinema, but it’s Koji Yakusho's performance as Makoto that really holds the film together. Eureka is long and slow for certain (not for everyone), but after the trauma of the opening sequence, I loved the way Aoyama takes his time, lets his characters breath, and allows the film’s dramatic arc to unfold naturally. Eureka is the perfect antidote for having just watched Magnolia.

There are a few things I’m uncertain about, and a second viewing would probably go a long way. However, considering the film’s length and emotional heaviness, I’ll likely not revisit it any time soon unless the opportunity to see it on the big screen arises. 

Great pick, worm. Eureka is a great film and because of the length I would have never watched it without being ordered to. Procuring a copy can be tricky, but I recommend fellow Filmspotters check it out.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:08:21 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 03:32:12 PM »
Eureka (Shinji Aoyama, 2000)
Eureka is a great film and because of the length I would have never watched it without being ordered to. Procuring a copy can be tricky, but I recommend fellow Filmspotters check it out.

Woo! Glad you liked it, matt :). I think it's best to go into this one knowing nothing about it at all.

love