love

Author Topic: The 2nd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - comments thread  (Read 198892 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: The 2nd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - comments thread
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »
Don't you guys rate movies on IMDB? That way, when making such lists, you don't have to rely on memory.

I like Criticker because it lets you rate on a 100 pt. scale so if I was so inclined I could work in really fine grades (but I choose to go by multiples of 5 to keep a little sanity).  So for compiling my top 100 I'm basically looking at everything I gave a 90-100 (something like 150ish titles) along with revisiting a few that I may have underrated because I haven't seen them in years.

This site seems rather inefficient. You'd want to keep it updated regularly if you're going to use it - going from stratch would be a very laborious process.

I'm not really sure how it's any more inefficient than imdb.  Isn't any site like that a laborious process in the beginning?  Much like my Netflix, I update it on a regular basis.

Ronan

• Elite Member
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2009, 11:51:01 AM »
Can't wait for this. The last one was the best thing on the boards. Except maybe the brackets

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »
really cant wait for Flickchart to build its library up considerably. Whenever I look at a list Ive made or a bunch of ratings Ive given I always have revisions. The process on that website is enough of a grind that I am sure my true opinions will show through. Otherwise my lists are far too based on mood at the time, when I last watched something, etc.

Looked at my 20 animated movies list and wanted to change everything  :-\

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2009, 06:12:27 PM »
Do things like Pride and Prejudice from 1996 with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle count as a movie for such a list? Similarly Les misérables with John Malkovich?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:14:07 PM by chardy999 »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »
Do things like Pride and Prejudice from 1996 with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle count as a movie for such a list? Similarly Les misérables with John Malkovich?

I would vote no.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
How about Dekalog?

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2009, 02:45:17 AM »
really cant wait for Flickchart to build its library up considerably. Whenever I look at a list Ive made or a bunch of ratings Ive given I always have revisions. The process on that website is enough of a grind that I am sure my true opinions will show through. Otherwise my lists are far too based on mood at the time, when I last watched something, etc.

Looked at my 20 animated movies list and wanted to change everything  :-\

Thanks for introducing me to that website, I am hooked.  Its a really cool service.  Two bad things about it:

1.  Selection is miserable, needs to be vastly improved.
2.  Their methodology is flawed due to human nature.  I bet we all have three movies where movie A>B, movie B>C. and movie C>A creating an endless loop.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2009, 05:07:09 AM »
Anything listed as tv-series, mini series, etc on imdb won't qualify.  So that rules of P&P, Les Mis, Dekalog, Band of Brothers, etc.  TV movies however qualify.

I know imdb is rather arbitrary, but it's the easiest way to seperate film, mini series or made for tv so if you are unsure, please check it's status on imdb.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2009, 01:04:20 PM »
I have a lot of movies to watch before August 16.

Me too.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2009, 05:41:54 PM »
I'd like all of you to watch Kieslowski's A Short Film About Killing (84 minutes; 1988) in preparation for your ballots.  The same cinematographer who did The Double Life of Veronique and Three Colors: Blue, Slawomir Idziak, did this film.

"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

love