love

Author Topic: The 2nd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - comments thread  (Read 200103 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: The 2nd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - comments thread
« Reply #640 on: August 14, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »
Staying up past ... 2pm?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #641 on: August 14, 2009, 05:42:42 PM »
nice little list, i like all the horror

Oh yeah, I was QUITE the little horror buff as a teen.  I had a friend of mine whom all summer was one long horrorthon.  All we did every day was go down to his basement, order some pizza, have some girls over and watch horror flick after horror flick.

My favorite memory was when Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday was coming out, we rented the first 8 Fridays and went through all 8 before going to see the new one in the theaters. It was....sick...no other word for it.

just revisited Friday the 13th the other day (for the 80s bracket, you should join in and get a pair!) and i've been considering it for my 100.  don't think i've noticed anyone with it on their list yet
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #642 on: August 14, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »
Just to let everyone know, the current plan as of now is to countdown the entire list on August 29th, starting from around 3/4 EST.  If there's any issues with that time, or day, speak up or forever hold your peace.

Alternatives would be August 28th or anytime in the weekend of Sept 5th/6th.

sounds good to me, i am leaving for vacation on the 3rd of September, so August 29th is good
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Senor Javi

« Reply #643 on: August 14, 2009, 07:10:38 PM »
Just to let everyone know, the current plan as of now is to countdown the entire list on August 29th, starting from around 3/4 EST.  If there's any issues with that time, or day, speak up or forever hold your peace.

As soon as possible would be best for me. I (and I'm sure a bunch of other people) have to go back to school in the first few days of September and having a spiffy new top 100 list before then would be a nice end of summer present.
My Switchboard - Movies Watched in 2010, The Year So Far, Top 200 Films, and more!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #644 on: August 14, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »

As soon as possible would be best for me. I (and I'm sure a bunch of other people) have to go back to school in the first few days of September and having a spiffy new top 100 list before then would be a nice end of summer present.

I'll be back in school by that time  :D  :'(

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #645 on: August 14, 2009, 08:57:04 PM »
I did it.
A$AP Fables

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #646 on: August 14, 2009, 09:12:30 PM »

Aug 29 Im busy with family in the afternoon. Later that night or the other days would work better for me.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #647 on: August 14, 2009, 10:09:46 PM »
Yeah, later in the evening would be better for me. Otherwise I'll have to get up around 5am. I could 7pm EST say. But I'm easy, really.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #648 on: August 14, 2009, 10:38:14 PM »

Oh yeah, I was QUITE the little horror buff as a teen.  I had a friend of mine whom all summer was one long horrorthon.  All we did every day was go down to his basement, order some pizza, have some girls over and watch horror flick after horror flick.

My favorite memory was when Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday was coming out, we rented the first 8 Fridays and went through all 8 before going to see the new one in the theaters. It was....sick...no other word for it.

just revisited Friday the 13th the other day (for the 80s bracket, you should join in and get a pair!) and i've been considering it for my 100.  don't think i've noticed anyone with it on their list yet
You didn't because you're off your nut for considering it. It's easily 80% amateurish and 20% inventive. There's got to be 100 things you can find that do better than Cunningham does there.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #649 on: August 14, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »

You didn't because you're off your nut for considering it. It's easily 80% amateurish and 20% inventive. There's got to be 100 things you can find that do better than Cunningham does there.

probably so, but i think that aesthetic works well for horror and i like to give this one credit for being an early slasher flick (the best of this era, i'd say (at least upon not having revisited the others in forever :) )
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

love