Author Topic: The 2nd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - comments thread  (Read 199937 times)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
Re: The 2nd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - comments thread
« Reply #650 on: August 14, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
nice little list, i like all the horror

Oh yeah, I was QUITE the little horror buff as a teen.  I had a friend of mine whom all summer was one long horrorthon.  All we did every day was go down to his basement, order some pizza, have some girls over and watch horror flick after horror flick.

My favorite memory was when Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday was coming out, we rented the first 8 Fridays and went through all 8 before going to see the new one in the theaters. It was....sick...no other word for it.

just revisited Friday the 13th the other day (for the 80s bracket, you should join in and get a pair!) and i've been considering it for my 100.  don't think i've noticed anyone with it on their list yet
You didn't because you're off your nut for considering it. It's easily 80% amateurish and 20% inventive. There's got to be 100 things you can find that do better than Cunningham does there.

probably so, but i think that aesthetic works well for horror and i like to give this one credit for being an early slasher flick (the best of this era, i'd say (at least upon not having revisited the others in forever :) )
Black Christmas is infinitely better and a number of years older. Halloween also shows far more of a deft hand when developing a terrifying milieu. I also feel like what your saying sells horror short, aesthetically.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #651 on: August 14, 2009, 11:06:17 PM »

Oh yeah, I was QUITE the little horror buff as a teen.  I had a friend of mine whom all summer was one long horrorthon.  All we did every day was go down to his basement, order some pizza, have some girls over and watch horror flick after horror flick.

My favorite memory was when Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday was coming out, we rented the first 8 Fridays and went through all 8 before going to see the new one in the theaters. It was....sick...no other word for it.

just revisited Friday the 13th the other day (for the 80s bracket, you should join in and get a pair!) and i've been considering it for my 100.  don't think i've noticed anyone with it on their list yet
You didn't because you're off your nut for considering it. It's easily 80% amateurish and 20% inventive. There's got to be 100 things you can find that do better than Cunningham does there.

probably so, but i think that aesthetic works well for horror and i like to give this one credit for being an early slasher flick (the best of this era, i'd say (at least upon not having revisited the others in forever :) )
Black Christmas is infinitely better and a number of years older. Halloween also shows far more of a deft hand when developing a terrifying milieu. I also feel like what your saying sells horror short, aesthetically.

talking early slasher, i really prefer Texas Chain Saw (which is on my list) to Friday.  i'd have to rewatch all of the above together to get a good sense of preference, but i think Friday > BC > Halloween (and i much prefer Clark's Deathdream to BC).  have you seen Friday the 13th recently?  i really think it is a decent piece of film-making - some nice camera-work, an excellent score, and i think it creates a better atmosphere than Halloween (i even think zombie's Halloween is pretty good :) )
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #652 on: August 14, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »

talking early slasher, i really prefer Texas Chain Saw (which is on my list) to Friday.  i'd have to rewatch all of the above together to get a good sense of preference, but i think Friday > BC > Halloween (and i much prefer Clark's Deathdream to BC).  have you seen Friday the 13th recently?  i really think it is a decent piece of film-making - some nice camera-work, an excellent score, and i think it creates a better atmosphere than Halloween (i even think zombie's Halloween is pretty good :) )
I saw all the ones you've mentioned (except Deathdream which it's been years since) in the last two months. I'm comfortable with BC > Texas > Halloween >> Friday.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #653 on: August 14, 2009, 11:41:26 PM »

I saw all the ones you've mentioned (except Deathdream which it's been years since) in the last two months. I'm comfortable with BC > Texas > Halloween >> Friday.

what's up with all the horror of late (cait)?  what else have you watched?  and has it been mostly 70s-80s stuff?  maybe i don't remember BC well enough, but it seems a bit different from the others listed, don't you think?  for some reason i think of it as less slashery and more like Carpenteresque horror
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #654 on: August 14, 2009, 11:53:35 PM »

what's up with all the horror of late (cait)?  what else have you watched?  and has it been mostly 70s-80s stuff?  maybe i don't remember BC well enough, but it seems a bit different from the others listed, don't you think?  for some reason i think of it as less slashery and more like Carpenteresque horror
It's Cait dragging the 14 year old out of me. And if BC is Carpenteresque, what is Halloween.

Besides, if your definition of slasher refers to a style of gore then BC sticks out a bit more (but still fits, especially as one of the earliest examples) but I identify slashers as having the audience connection to the killer and character focus upon him/her (which Halloween and Friday are known for, and BC had before them) and the last girl structure which all of them have. I left out Texas, but not intentionally, it fits in as well.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #655 on: August 15, 2009, 12:04:25 AM »

It's Cait dragging the 14 year old out of me. And if BC is Carpenteresque, what is Halloween.

Besides, if your definition of slasher refers to a style of gore then BC sticks out a bit more (but still fits, especially as one of the earliest examples) but I identify slashers as having the audience connection to the killer and character focus upon him/her (which Halloween and Friday are known for, and BC had before them) and the last girl structure which all of them have. I left out Texas, but not intentionally, it fits in as well.

yeah, that was sloppy, eh? :)  i was thinking of stuff like The Fog and The Thing. 

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #656 on: August 15, 2009, 12:38:06 AM »
I'm done. Posted in other thread.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

soxtalon

• SecondViews
« Reply #657 on: August 15, 2009, 08:40:09 AM »

yeah, that was sloppy, eh? :)  i was thinking of stuff like The Fog and The Thing. 

I feel like I have to go back and re-watch all of them soon....The original Friday was decent enough, but BC is definitely superior and I also think Halloween beats it out as well...

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #658 on: August 15, 2009, 07:29:14 PM »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #659 on: August 15, 2009, 08:11:44 PM »
1. Magnolia
          "This happens. This is something that happens."
2. Blade Runner
          "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die."
3. Pan’s Labyrinth
          "I believed in a lot of things I don't believe anymore."
4. Alien
          "I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
          "I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus."
6. There Will Be Blood
          "Did you think your song and dance and your superstition would help you, Eli? I am the Third Revelation!"
7. Wall-E
          "Try blue, it's the new red!”
8. Fantasia
          "Musically and dramatically, we have here a picture of the struggle between the profane and the sacred.”
9. His Girl Friday
          "Take Hitler and stick him on the funny page.
10. City of God
          "It was like a message from God: 'Honesty doesn't pay, sucker.'"     
11. Princess Mononoke
          "I'm going to show you how to kill a god. A god of life and death. The trick is not to fear him."
12. Eyes Wide Shut
          "No dream is ever just a dream."
13. The Shining
          "I wish we could stay here forever... and ever... and ever."
14. Shaun of the Dead
          "We're coming to get you, Barbra!"
15. 12 Angry Men
          "I don't believe I have to be loyal to one side or the other. I'm simply asking questions."
16. Children of Men
          "I can't really remember when I last had any hope, and I certainly can't remember when anyone else did either."
17. The Brothers Bloom
          "A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you, the less you know."
18. Zodiac
          "I need to stand there, I need to look him in the eye and I need to know that it's him."
19. Sherlock Jr.
          "     "
20. Adaptation
          "To begin... To begin... How to start? I'm hungry."
21. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
          "I don't think you'd know where to put food at if you didn't flap your mouth so much. Yes I think you're stupid."
22. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
          "Other than my eye, two things aren't paralyzed, my imagination and my memory."
23. The Incredibles
          "That was totally wicked!"
24. Reservoir Dogs
          "Either he's alive or he's dead, or the cops got him... or they don't."
25. The Thing
          "I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is."
26. The Iron Giant
          "This must be the biggest discovery since, I don't know, television or something!"
27. Brazil
          "This is your receipt for your husband... and this is my receipt for your receipt."
28. Fargo
          "Oh for Pete's sake, he's fleeing the interview!"
29. All The President’s Men
          "Take off the word "tits" and run it."
30. The Prestige
          "You're familiar with the phrase "man's reach exceeds his grasp"? It's a lie: man's grasp exceeds his nerve."
31. District 9
          "At least they are keeping them separate from us."
32. Se7en
          "What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever."
33. Kingdom of Heaven
          "It is a kingdom of conscience, or nothing."
34. Le Cercle Rouge
          "All men are guilty. They're born innocent, but it doesn't last."
35. Out of Sight
          "You wanted to tussle. We tussled."
36. The Lady Eve
          "Don't be vulgar, Jane. Let us be crooked, but never common."
37. Serenity
          "Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?"
38. Halloween
          "I was told there was nothing left. No reason, no conscience, no understanding; even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, good or evil, right or wrong."
39. To Have and Have Not
          "You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle."
40. The Hurt Locker
          "If I'm gonna die, I want to die comfortable."
41. Punch Drunk Love
          "I have a love in my life. It makes me stronger than anything you can imagine."
42. Being John Malkovitch
          "I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
43. Spirited Away
          "Once you do something, you never forget. Even if you can't remember."
44. Mulholland Drive
          "I can see his face. I hope that I never see that face, ever, outside of a dream."
45. Dark City
          "It seems you have discovered your unpleasant nature."
46. Unforgiven
          "You ain't ugly like me, it's just that we both have got scars."
47. Hot Fuzz
          "Forget it Nick... it's Sandford."
48. Doubt
          "Sister, I don't know if you and me are on the same side. I'll be standing with my son and those who are good with my son. It'd be nice to see you there."
49. Brick
          "I've got knives in my eyes, I'm going home sick."
50. Night of the Living Dead
          "They're coming to get you, Barbara, there's one of them now!"
51. A History of Violence
          "You're still pretty good with the killing."
52. 28 Days Later…
          "Staying alive's as good as it gets."
53. Synechdoche New York
          "None of those people is an extra. They're all the leads of their own stories. They have to be given their due."
54. The Fly
          "No, I'm becoming something that never existed before. I'm becoming... Brundlefly."
55. The Sting
          "Luther said I could learn some things from you. I already know how to drink."
56. The Matrix
          "Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."
57. Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
          "Greed had burned a hole in their hearts that will never be filled! They will never have enough!"
58. Memento
          "I always thought the joy of reading a book is not knowing what happens next."
59. Pulp Fiction
          "But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd."
60. Chinatown
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
61. Amelie
          "I like to look for things no one else catches. I hate the way drivers never look at the road in old American movies."
62. The Truman Show
          "We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented."
63. Once
          "What's the Czech for "Do you love him"?"
64. In Bruges
          "If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't."
65. Spinal Tap
          "These go to eleven."
66. Die Hard
          "'Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho.'"
67. A Fish Called Wanda
          "The central message of Buddhism is not "every man for himself"."
68. Glengarry Glenn Ross
          "Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."
69. Contact
          "Funny, I've always believed that the world is what we make of it."
70. The Descent
          "I'm an English teacher, not CINECAST!ing Tomb Raider."
71. The Exorcist
          "What an excellent day for an exorcism."
72. Miller’s Crossing
          "Nothing more foolish than a man chasin' his hat."
73. Thank You For Smoking
          "That's the beauty of argument, if you argue correctly, you're never wrong."
74. The Devil’s Backbone
          "What is a ghost? A tragedy condemned to repeat itself time and again?"
75. The Patsy
          "The bellboy!"
76. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
          "Look at my red hands and my mean face... and I wonder 'bout that man that's gone so wrong."
77. Sunshine
          "So if you wake up one morning and it's a particularly beautiful day, you'll know we made it."
78. Jurassic Park
          "Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
79. The Fountain
          "Together we will live forever."
80. Minority Report
          "The fact that you prevented it from happening doesnt change the fact that it was *going* to happen."
81. Touch of Evil
          "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"
82. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78)
          "There's nothing to be afraid of. They were right. It's painless. It's good."
83. The Triplets of Belleville
          "Is that it, then? Is it over, do you think?"
84. Rio Bravo
          "You want that gun, pick it up. I wish you would"
85. Let the Right One In
          "It's just I've been twelve for a very long time."
86. Days of Heaven
          "You just have half-angel and half-devil in you."
87. Good Night and Good Luck
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another."
88. The Scarlet Empress
          "I want to play with my toys!"
89. The Orphanage
          "Uno, dos, tres, toca la pared."
90. I’m Not There
          "I accept chaos. I don't know whether it accepts me."
91. Watchmen
          "The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper 'no.'"
92. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
          "Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books, Miss Saunders."
93. 12 Monkeys
          "All I see are dead people."
94. Ocean’s 11
          "Look, we all go way back and uh, I owe you from the thing with the guy in the place and I'll never forget it."
95. The Limey
          "I'm looking for a different kind of satisfaction."
96. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
          "Think of it as a hobby. Something you do to relax. You're an 'assassination enthusiast.'"
97. Kill Bill Vol 1
          "When you grow up, if you still feel raw about it, I'll be waiting."
98. Kill Bill Vol 2
          "But you're not a worker bee. You're a renegade killer bee"
99. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
          "We shall burn, like the heathen kings of old."
100. Taxi Driver
          "Thank God for the rain to wash the trash off the sidewalk."
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love