love

Author Topic: The 2nd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - comments thread  (Read 199855 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Re: The 2nd Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - comments thread
« Reply #1240 on: September 03, 2009, 09:51:28 AM »
I'm not a big fan of art house Van Sant. I much prefer his 2 big mainstream movies (and this doesn't refer to Psycho and Finding Forrester) where he's working with someone else's blueprint. I hope this doesn't mean my art house card will have to be taken away from me. Though "Last Days" might change my mind, since it's on my DVR. Still need to see "Drugstore Cowboy", "My Own Private Idaho"(only seen a little bit) and "To Die For".
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1241 on: September 03, 2009, 10:24:04 AM »
Roger Rabbit, however, is pretty bad.

Could you please elaborate on your unique point of view?

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #1242 on: September 03, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »
I'm not a big fan of art house Van Sant. I much prefer his 2 big mainstream movies (and this doesn't refer to Psycho and Finding Forrester) where he's working with someone else's blueprint. I hope this doesn't mean my art house card will have to be taken away from me. Though "Last Days" might change my mind, since it's on my DVR. Still need to see "Drugstore Cowboy", "My Own Private Idaho"(only seen a little bit) and "To Die For".

i didn't even realize you had art house cred  ;D
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #1243 on: September 03, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »

I think his mainstream stuff is too commercial and dull, and his artsy stuff is way too experimental and inaccessible, not a fan of either.

I love his early films though, Drugstore Cowboy and Idaho were on my TOP100 all time list.  They are completely different than both his mainstream and his art-house stuff, at once incredibly original and somewhat accessible.  By all means check these two out.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1244 on: September 03, 2009, 01:12:19 PM »
I like a lot of his movies, art house and mainstream, but none enough to put on my list.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1245 on: September 03, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »
I like everything I've seen of his, Elephant definitely made the list, I believe Paranoid Park either just skated by or barely missed the cut, Gerry just missed the cut, and Drugstore Cowboy is a very good movie but it didn't come close to making the list.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #1246 on: September 03, 2009, 05:38:27 PM »
his artsy stuff is way too experimental and inaccessible, not a fan of either.

Is this more Gerry and Last Days? Cuz Elephant and Paranoid Park are pretty accessible.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #1247 on: September 03, 2009, 05:42:02 PM »

No, art house card. You didn't get one? Facets sends them out annually so we can identify cinephiles from the normies.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #1248 on: September 03, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »

No, art house card. You didn't get one? Facets sends them out annually so we can identify cinephiles from the normies.

I hope this didn't come off as snarky. The internet needs less of that.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1249 on: September 04, 2009, 01:02:08 AM »
his artsy stuff is way too experimental and inaccessible, not a fan of either.

Is this more Gerry and Last Days? Cuz Elephant and Paranoid Park are pretty accessible.

Perhaps Paranoid Park is, but Elephant?  That's one of those films that you have to be determimed to finish, as rewarding as it is in the end.  I wouldn't call it "accessible".
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky