Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top Animated Features: Comments  (Read 10266 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Filmspotters' Top Animated Features: Comments
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:26:04 PM »
Thanks to everyone who came into chat and made the night an interesting one. Still, feel free to discuss what you like or don't like about the list in this topic, that's what it's here for.

Also, thanks to everyone who sent in lists and participated, or helped out along the way, and ses for being my second, pretty much everyone since I don't want to leave anyone out.

Sadly YouTube crashed while doing the countdown, and that's why some entries have videos and then they just stop. Tomorrow I plan on adding videos to all those that lack them as well as posting that text list at the top of the topic, but I'm beat for the night, so yeah, tomorrow.

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Excellent list.  I'm suprised at how high WALL-E made in the final cut. 
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 10:33:21 PM »
I completely regret having not found the time to make/submit a list now. I realize there were many here I haven't seen, especially the foreign ones, but I was not happy with the order of some. But that's nobody's fault but mine. And on the bright side, Robin Hood at least made the list! Nice work though Bill, and thanks!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 10:42:32 PM »
Oh, and either tomorrow or Friday I plan on adding the list to List Of Bests just like I did with the other top 100 list.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 11:23:03 PM »
That would be a solid Top Ten if Nightmare was flipped with Nemo and if films 2-4 were not some of the most overrated things to be released in recent memory. The fact that Hercules successfully told The Beatles to piss off makes me happy. Haven't seen Mononoke either, but I find it hard to believe it's better than South Park, that should probably have won. No surprise seeing Grave win, it's the most non-offensive of the bunch, deserves its acclaim, and it appeals to emotion as well as plot.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »
Nice job, Bill.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 01:43:18 AM »
Great Work.  I'm sure we could all debate placement for months, and I'm surprised at the restraint of Fly's comments.  9When I opened pages 4 and 7, I thought for sure he would have a fit.)

Too bad not enough people have seen #1 filmmaker Isao Takahata's other great film Pom Poko.  It didn't even merit a mention and I can only believe that it's because so few have seen it.

Thanks again for taking the time.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 01:57:10 AM »
One of the reasons I disliked only being able to vote for 20: no love for Goshu the Cellist.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 02:39:05 AM »
Although it's been said: Thanks so much Bill-- job well done.

The list had a lot of surprizes, and more that I haven't seen than expected.  That just means I've got more movies to watch, shucks!  Given that Roger Rabbit was given a late thumbs up, I'm surpized its up as high as it is-- as well as Up's placement, given that it was only released a month ago.  It'd be interesting to see Up's placement in a year or two. 

The only real eye-opener for me in the top ten is South Park.  But I've never seen it, not really planning to, so I figure that perhaps, just maybe, it is some unbelievable classic that deserves to be in communion with the top ranks of Pixar and Miyazaki, but I will never know for certain.

Perhaps I would expect to see more classic Disney in the top ten as well.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 02:57:56 AM »
I like the list, and I am very glad to see that Nightmare before Christmas (which I shamefully forgot ) made it to a very respectable place without my help.

Thank you for doing this, Bill!