love

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top Animated Features: Comments  (Read 15697 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Filmspotters' Top Animated Features: Comments
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 01:06:34 PM »
Also, Belleville, a film I couldn't even finish (although maybe it was that I wasn't in the right state of mind when I gave it a shot) finishing over Nausicaa was kind of a kick in the teeth kind of thing.

I have accepted that Naussica will never get the full credit it deserves.  I finished Belleville, but I didn't really care for it.

So, THATguy, did you recount because you wanted to be King of Animation?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 01:11:27 PM »
It's a nice title to have, sure, but it was more I wanted to see what I was missing, and when doing so, it was like "why didn't I count that the first time?"

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 01:18:23 PM »
Wait, you have never seen Fantasia? I didn't know it was possible to be that fortunate. You have lived a charmed life.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 02:00:18 AM »
I might make my next marathon the 10 films I've yet to see from the top 50 (much like clovis's top100 thing).

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Ratatouille
Only Yesterday
The Secret of NIMH
Mindgame
Up
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Waltz With Bashir
The Adventures of Prince Achmed
The Emperor's New Groove

Me likey.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2009, 09:24:47 AM »
I might make my next marathon the 10 films I've yet to see from the top 50 (much like clovis's top100 thing).

Ratatouille
Only Yesterday
The Secret of NIMH
Mindgame
Up
Waltz With Bashir
The Emperor's New Groove

Me likey.

pixote

MMmm. Now there's an idea.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »
So much to watch, so little time.

Could probably be the motto of this place.  ;)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »
So much to watch, so little time.

Could probably be the motto of this place.  ;)

I agree.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2009, 05:41:17 PM »
I've been working through some of the films I haven't seen on the top 100 list. I figured I'd post my thoughts.

Castle of Cagliostro

Lots of fun. At times it reminded me of watching a good Loony Toons episode, with more detailed environments and a more elaborate plot. It doesn't really have that magical and enchanting quality of Miyazaki's other films, but still manages to feel like a grand adventure. And as for the characters, they seemed rather conventional by comparison. Worth seeing, but I wouldn't have made my top 20.

3/4

Only Yesterday

I was a little underwhelmed by this one. I liked the how the story was told, flashing back and forth between Taeko as a child and as an adult, but I rarely felt connected. I don't fault the film for this, it's just one of those things. It's kind of a shame I wasn't more wrapped up in it because it the ending is really wonderful. If ever there was a film I would like more the second time around, this is it. Now that I know what I'm in for, I'd be a little more patient with it. Sometime down the road it'll definitely be revisited.

One thing is for sure, there is some striking animation on display here. 2.5/4

The Emporer's New Groove

A few good laughs and a few standout scenes make this film worthwhile. I'm not hugely enthusiastic about it, but I'd recommend it nonetheless. Patrick Warburton as Kronk was probably my favourite part.

3/4

Fantastic! It's starts out simply but becomes surprisingly complex. I'm not sure I've even got it all straight yet. It doesn't matter though, I'll sort it all out next time I watch it. I know I loved it, that's the main thing. Beautiful score and animation. It's a sophisticated film, with an engaging story, likable characters and a lot of heart. Highly recommended! It would definitely crack my top 20 animated films, and even found its way to #52 on my top 100.

3.5/4

The Secret of NIMH

It's sweet little film. The story is well told and the animation is great. But aside from the whole lab rat backstory, there wasn't quite enough here for me to chew on. I can't really fault it for this though, let's face it, I'm 25 years old seeing it for the first time. Neither age nor nostalgia are on my side.

2.5/4

Mind Game

What incredible style this film has! And imagination! I'm frustrated that I wasn't more into it. The questions the film poses are very thought provoking and appeared to be building towards some meaningful conclusions. I say 'appeared' because I never got more than halfway through the film (and even that took 3 separate sittings). Despite the amazing visuals, I became bored very quickly. I don't have the patience for these free-wheeling, long-winded, philosophic, creative explosions when they aren't tied to a properly compelling story. It reminded me of Synecdoche, New York. Both films are written around a philosophy the way hypothetical situations are written around mathematical equations. If Jenny has 3 apples and Billy has 9 apples, how many apples do they have altogether? Sure there's a lesson there, but who gives a hoot about Jenny and Billy? Why not just scrap 'em and tell me 3+9=12? That's how I felt about Mind Game unfortunately.

Short and sweet. Like nothing I've ever seen before and at times a real delight. My interest faded a little halfway through, but generally speaking it was a good experience.

3/4

I sat down to watch this film like I would any other, and I was quickly bored. It's a film whose historical importance I'd much rather read about than actually endure, sort of like small pox.

I hope to get to Waltz with Bashir and Ratatouille soon.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »
It's a film whose historical importance I'd much rather read about than actually endure, sort of like small pox.

LOL, brilliant.

Sidenote: I'm curious to see if the animated films on the general Top 100 all come the top of the Animated Top 100 list.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2009, 05:57:29 PM »
It's a film whose historical importance I'd much rather read about than actually endure, sort of like small pox.
LOL, brilliant.
:D
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love