love

Author Topic: Top 5 films YOU would want to personally remake  (Read 5697 times)

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
Re: Top 5 films YOU would want to personally remake
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »
5. The Swimmer, starring Alec Baldwin, and with no realization at the end. Instead, he adopts the philosophy of "just keep swimming, just keep swimming" and slowly turns into Dory from Finding Nemo.

4. Chronicle of a Death Foretold. This is a bit of a cheat, since the only version is an obscure and supposedly failed adaptation starring Rupert Everett acting in Spanish (why??). It would make an amazing film if done properly (so, probably not directed by me then).

3. Thank You, Jeeves or any of the Wodehouse stories.

2. Shadow of the Vampire. I do like this film quite a bit, but the premise is so good it could have been even better. Or maybe I'd just like to see a sequel where Willem Defoe's Max Shreck and the now insane Murnau go to Hollywood and duke it out with Chaplin and Keaton.

Eh. Turns out I can't think of a number 1. Remakes suck, generally, anyway.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

joem18b

• Godfather
    • does writing excuse watching?
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »
The Big Sleep - a fine film, but pretty stuffy and not nearly as compelling as the book.

agreed
I saw The Big Sleep the first time at the Brattle Theater with some friends and we spent an hour afterwards trying to figure it out. Since then, I've run across explanations of why it's so confusing, such as the following from Turner Classics:

"Many critics commented on the confusing plot of the film, especially the fact that the murderer of the "Sternwood's" chauffeur is never clearly identified. [This was true even in the 1945 version with its extended explanation in Wilde's office.] Modern sources blame these problems in part on the fact that co-writers Leigh Brackett and William Faulkner wrote alternate sections of the script and left the project as soon as they turned in the final draft. Jules Furthman was then called in to cut and condense their work. Hawks also rewrote several scenes. In an interview, Hawks said, "I never figured out what was going on....After that got by, I said, 'I'm never going to worry about being logical again.'"

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »
I would remake Reality Bites to include two scenes - one where Winnona Ryder tells Ethan Hawke is he a pretentious douchebag and deserves nothing but failure for the rest of his life,
And to take a bath.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »
I would remake Reality Bites to include two scenes - one where Winnona Ryder tells Ethan Hawke is he a pretentious douchebag and deserves nothing but failure for the rest of his life,
And to take a bath.

Now that there is funny...I don't care who you are :D
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Marbe

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 02:38:16 PM »
Godfather 3 - Don't we have the technology yet to just entirely replace Sofia Coppolla with a new actress?
And could pretty much be the same idea. There's absolutely no need to recast Michael, Kay, or Connie because all of the actors were wearing old age makeup at the time, so there about the right age, maybe a bit older. And we can put Robert Duvall's character back in their like he was always meant to be. And get rid of the icky incest relationship between his daughter and her cousin.

Star Wars 1 - I don't like 2 very much either and 3 while the best of the prequels is still not up to snuff. But if I have to choose why not just start off where it all went so wrong. Just let Peter Jackson or Guillermo del Toro do everything.

The Scarlett Letter - WTF is up with the Demi Moore version? Among much awfulness including a character from Arthur Miller's the Crucible making an appearance, the ending is the poster child and grand daddy of Hollywood whoredom.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - I love Audrey Hepburn and all, but this just isn't a very good movie. George Peppard is dull, Mickey Rooney (I still love you Andy Hardy) is embarassing, and we never really sort out that Holly has mental issues problem.
premise: Go back to the original material and keep the male lead gay. Don't try to cast anyone like Audrey Hepburn (sorry Natalie Portman) because it would only be an imitation and that would distract the audience, just go in a new direction.

Love in the Time of Cholera - Haven't seen this but it's my favorite book so the middling reviews really bothered me.  How could this not be one of the greatest films ever made?  I would remedy that.
This certainly deserves a redo. Believe it or not Javier Bardem comes off creepier than No Country for Old Men.

m_rturnage

• FAB
  • Elite Member
  • Beauty hurts.
    • Too Much Time on My Hands
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »
Breakfast at Tiffany's - I love Audrey Hepburn and all, but this just isn't a very good movie. George Peppard is dull, Mickey Rooney (I still love you Andy Hardy) is embarassing, and we never really sort out that Holly has mental issues problem.
premise: Go back to the original material and keep the male lead gay. Don't try to cast anyone like Audrey Hepburn (sorry Natalie Portman) because it would only be an imitation and that would distract the audience, just go in a new direction.

Yes. Make it like the book and cast a Marylin Monroe-type of character, like the author intended.
http://www.26screenplays.com - Short screenplays for independent filmmakers.

You light a man a fire, and he's warm for a night. You light a man ON fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 09:07:26 PM »
Vendredi Soir - Nice story but I'd film it differently. It would have a much darker ending as well.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:21:38 PM by edgarchaput »
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 09:20:39 PM »
The way it's filmed is the best thing about it!

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »

Agree to disagree. Too many close up shots. Like 'really close' close up shots. The 'reason' behind them doesn't mean much to me. It's just not a technique I like when it's used extensively like that.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 10:26:09 PM »

Agree to disagree. Too many close up shots. Like 'really close' close up shots. The 'reason' behind them doesn't mean much to me. It's just not a technique I like when it's used extensively like that.

It's not done that much in terms of a %.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

love