Author Topic: Once Upon a March in the West - 2019  (Read 15629 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: Once Upon a March in the West - 2019
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »
I just found this on YouTube. Take a little over 20 minutes, and watch this. This guy really dissects the Tavern scene in Once Upon a Time in the West well. I wish he'd do the whole movie, or at least do an audio commentary file, you could play along side the film.

https://youtu.be/rHlkX8XTJRQ
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2019, 09:27:32 PM »
What a wild week it was, watching Westward the Women. I watched it. The next day I turned on the commentary and watched it again and then the day after that, I went back and watched it again. I've never seen anything quite like this before. Why didn't I know about such a landmark Western, where women are the center of the story and the action?
I can understand that reaction. While I knew the director was capable of a film of this quality, I was still surprised by how modern the story felt. This seems like a script that would be financed post-Captain Marvel, not 65 years earlier. It's just waiting to be discovered and celebrated. Someone get in touch with Alicia Malone.

There are limitations, both in scene structure choices and women stereotyping, but Boy Howdy did this thing capture my attention!
So simply put. When something comes along like this it always leads to the opposite reaction, where the moment it sets a foot wrong you think, "this isn't as good as I was led to believe." The film isn't perfect, but some of it is and the rest goes between Okay and Really Excellent. Probably a couple of moments I wish were better, but I don't remember them.

Thank you, 1SO for the heads up on this one!
I know many people don't venture over here except for Shocktober, but this is one of those films that should be a group discovery, from Antares to Bondo.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2019, 03:20:49 PM »
I know many people don't venture over here except for Shocktober, but this is one of those films that should be a group discovery, from Antares to Bondo.

Now I just have to find it.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2019, 06:22:12 AM »
Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971 Burt Kennedy)

The one's who brought you Support Your Local Sheriff are back, and like a 10th generation photocopy, just are nowhere near as good as the original. The cast is good, and Garner can always charm, but a lacklustre script and direction let this one down. A pleasant, but uninspiring western.

Rating: 73 / 100

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2019, 09:36:02 PM »
I just found this on YouTube. Take a little over 20 minutes, and watch this. This guy really dissects the Tavern scene in Once Upon a Time in the West well. I wish he'd do the whole movie, or at least do an audio commentary file, you could play along side the film.

I forget how visually perfect this movie is. The lighting is ingenious, using old timber gaps as the means.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2019, 10:45:08 PM »
What a wild week it was, watching Westward the Women. I watched it. The next day I turned on the commentary and watched it again and then the day after that, I went back and watched it again. I've never seen anything quite like this before. Why didn't I know about such a landmark Western, where women are the center of the story and the action?
I can understand that reaction. While I knew the director was capable of a film of this quality, I was still surprised by how modern the story felt. This seems like a script that would be financed post-Captain Marvel, not 65 years earlier. It's just waiting to be discovered and celebrated. Someone get in touch with Alicia Malone.

I'm still astounded I had never heard of it.

There are limitations, both in scene structure choices and women stereotyping, but Boy Howdy did this thing capture my attention!

So simply put. When something comes along like this it always leads to the opposite reaction, where the moment it sets a foot wrong you think, "this isn't as good as I was led to believe." The film isn't perfect, but some of it is and the rest goes between Okay and Really Excellent. Probably a couple of moments I wish were better, but I don't remember them.

I'm sure I'm guilty of this. It's hard not to let flaws in a film, become bigger than the greatness. Next time I bellyache about a movie, you can call me out on it. I may or may not change my tune. :) Sometimes flaws are too difficult to surmount.

If anyone wants to do this, I'll happily keep this marathon active with indexing. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2019, 12:26:29 AM »

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2019, 11:00:36 PM »

Now I just have to find it.

My library has it. I have it now, and hopefully, will get to it in the next 3 days.

love