Author Topic: Sergio Leone Marathon  (Read 22181 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Sergio Leone Marathon
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2009, 01:42:35 PM »
That sounds awesome. :)

I watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly just before this marathon started so I'm skipping that one for now, but Once Upon a Time in the West came from Netflix today, I'm excited!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Not sure why, but this go around it didn't quite live up to my previous viewings. Nothing serious. It's still great. I just felt it dragged a bit when Tucco and Blondie arrive at that Monastery where Tucco's brother is a monk, after that it's ok. How did you guys feel about that bit and others? Did it feel a bit long at times?

Anyways, I would still call it a 4/4

I Look forward to reading what other have to say after watching it.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2009, 01:21:47 AM »
Is there more of that scene in the "director's cut"?  I seem to remember that being that case, and that the additions in that cut only made the movie drag more than the other cut.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2009, 07:16:03 AM »
Oh, I didn't even realize it was a directors cut I was watching. Sure enough it's 20 minutes longer, clocking in at 179 minutes total.

Here's some of the scenes that get added or extended:
Angel Eyes visiting a destroyed fort; Tuco hiring bandits to help him chase Blondie; Blondie and Angel Eyes having a face-to-face when they first set out together to find the gold; and some extra conversation between Tuco and Blondie in the desert.

I could've done without all off those scenes, except the face to face.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2009, 11:59:56 PM »
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

Woah.

My enthusiasm for this movie can not be properly expressed. It was one of those rare movie experiences that excited me in a visceral way and reminded me why I love movies as much as I do. Before seeing this I would've had no problem calling The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly a masterpiece, but this movie exceeds it in so many ways that I can no longer make sense of such labels. :D

What struck me most is how different this movie feels from Leone's previous films. The story is not terribly different than what has come before, but the tone is completely new. The pace is much slower, as evident during the brilliant opening credit sequence; around 10 minutes of absolutely nothing but building mood. The sound design also stood out, playing a key role in many important sequences and adding further immersion into the story. Of course Ennio Morricone continues to provide his incredible musical touch in shaping some really memorable sequences. Leone's direction has always been brilliant, but I felt like he really cut loose here and in doing so raised the bar.

In addition to the giddy-inducing style on display, Once Upon a Time in the West also offers plenty of substance in the story and characters. I loved pretty much all of it, but the addition of Harmonica's character is really what tied it together for me. He's a great presence, adds an awesome element of mystery, and an incredibly satisfying climax. There's probably a really interesting discussion to be had about Jill, being the first significant female character in this marathon, but I think I want to rewatch before I tackle that subject.

I'm really looking forward to reading what others have to say. I have a new obsession. :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2009, 07:30:19 AM »
Once Upon A Time In The West

Where would this movie be without the music? I don't think I've ever heard a score that fit quite so well for the entire length of the film. Everything from Cheyenne's plunky and playful theme to the epic and beautiful finale. It's never afraid to be big and bold and always drew me in. It may be the film's single most important asset. Without it I don't think the slow, patient storytelling would've worked.

Once upon a time in the west - Finale

I love how authentic everything feels in this movie. Just the right amount of worn out, dirtiness. I wonder if they used pre existing structures for a lot of the sets? Like this wooden platform at the train station for example. Dried and twisted, the way it would look after years of exposesure (or so I would imagine). To actually construct something that imperfect seems like it would be tough. So who knows... It looks fantastic though.

I enjoyed all of the close ups. So much personality in these faces. So much character! One look is usually enough to tell you who they are and what they're all about. Good casting.

I love all the railroad-building shots. And I like what Cheyenne says to Jill at the end about the working men: "If I was you I'd go down there and give those boys a drink. You can't imagine how happy it makes a man to see a woman like you. Just to look at her. And if one of 'em should, uh, pat your behind.... just make believe it's nothing. They earned it." I'm not saying I endorse patting a girls ass without her permission, but I like the sentiment behind it. The west isn't all cowboys and drunks. There are honest hard working people there too. Breaking their backs and earning a living. Leone pays tribute to them in the last shot of the film.

I had to break this up into two sittings. Nevertheless, 4/4

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2009, 07:32:15 AM »
Before seeing this I would've had no problem calling The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly a masterpiece, but this movie exceeds it in so many ways that I can no longer make sense of such labels. :D

Completely agree! I had forgotten just how good it was. The last time I saw it was probably 10 years ago or more.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2009, 07:45:12 AM »
Before seeing this I would've had no problem calling The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly a masterpiece, but this movie exceeds it in so many ways that I can no longer make sense of such labels. :D

Thirded :). I'll post a review soon also but yeah, my words are not going to do it any justice :).

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »
For A Few Dollars More is Leone's coolest a and most playful.
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is his Masterpiece, and his Best Movie.
But Once Upon A Time in The West is his Best Directed film. You want to know what a director does? Watch this film. It's the one that puts him on a whole different level from other Great Filmmakers.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:05:40 PM by 1SO »

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »
The marathon seems to be slowing down. any reason for this?

worm's been abducted by aliens or something.

pixote

I plan to post about a few of the films in the next week or so.

Um.. yeah, this is going to have to wait until I get back, I just don't have the time.  :(
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/