love

Author Topic: Whatever Works  (Read 6463 times)

JadeInTheATL

• Indy boy lost in the ATL
Whatever Works
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:03:21 PM »
Kind of surprised that I actually liked the new Woody Allen film. From some of the reviews I had read, and his interview on NPR I'm going, "Come on!  30 year old script?  Larry David for Zero Mostel?  I'm a Woody guy so I tend to catch all of his films in the theater, but this one had me walking in reluctant.

Not a perfect piece by any means but I liked where it ended up.  Here's my one major negative, there were numerous times during the film when I got the feeling that David was in a different room than the rest of the players.  This seemed to happen particularly when he was in a tight head and shoulders shot.  Kind of like they filmed his scenes after everybody left.  I wonder if these are re-shoots, and if they are, why didn't Woody pick up on the disjointedness of the scenes during the editing?

Hey, maybe it's just me.  If anyone else goes to check it out, let me know if you see what I saw.

Well, I did have one other minor quibble.  I didn't care for the casting of Ed Begley, Jr.  Great actor, but totally unbelievable in his first scene.  When introduced he's supposed to be a stiff, religious, repentant, evangelical looking to find his wife to make amends.  Unlike Clarkson, totally unbelievable as a Southern anything.  Now he was great in his subsequent scenes, particularly the scene of discovery in the bar.  Great actor, but miscast.

On the positive side, I liked the attacking the fourth wall.  Not new for Woody, and was fairly prevalent when he first penned this script, but these are played more for laughs to fairly good effect.  It actually plays into the plot at the end as there's an implication that genius could be construed as possessing a wider perspective than those around you.

Not great Woody, but good Woody.  ( I'll leave the puns to the pundits.)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Whatever Works
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »
there were numerous times during the film when I got the feeling that David was in a different room than the rest of the players.  This seemed to happen particularly when he was in a tight head and shoulders shot.  Kind of like they filmed his scenes after everybody left.  I wonder if these are re-shoots, and if they are, why didn't Woody pick up on the disjointedness of the scenes during the editing?

Hey, maybe it's just me.  If anyone else goes to check it out, let me know if you see what I saw.
I didn't notice that, Jade. Interesting. There was that scene in the kitchen where the camera is on Larry and Even Rachel Wood is by the fridge and never in the frame, but it didn't feel like it was a re-shoot to me. What parts did you you notice it?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

JadeInTheATL

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »

I didn't notice that, Jade. Interesting. There was that scene in the kitchen where the camera is on Larry and Even Rachel Wood is by the fridge and never in the frame, but it didn't feel like it was a re-shoot to me. What parts did you you notice it?

Now I'm testing my memory after a long day but I think I'm remembering this right.

I think the most noticeable was the Begley scene, when Boris is completely detached from the other players until he walks into the scene with them near the end.  I don't know what it was.  Maybe the room tone didn't quite match, or the lighting didn't jibe.  When he entered the group shot at the end, it actually surprised me.

Hey, it might just be my imagination. 

While I'm at it, let me also point out  that as much as we like to pick on Woody for always placing his characters in sumptuous surroundings no matter their economic status, (Case in point Melinda and Melinda.)  Boris' flat is a dump.  An interesting floor plan, but a legitimate dump.

I like that, too!

My last like.  In my humble opinion, Larry David, like Javier Bardem, has the rare ability of speaking the "Woody" lines without sounding like Woody.  Or, sounding like someone trying to sound like Woody, a la Branaugh in Celebrity.  In Barcelona, each of the main characters have scenes where they are called upon to "speak the Woody speak" usually for some comic effect.  Each of the four main characters (Clarkson for the fourth) sound like Woody, except for Bardem.  David has the same ability.  (And maybe Will Ferrell.)  Pretty amazing considering, with all of her time of collaboration, Mia Farrow never pulled that off.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:09:35 AM »
I think the most noticeable was the Begley scene, when Boris is completely detached from the other players until he walks into the scene with them near the end.  I don't know what it was.  Maybe the room tone didn't quite match, or the lighting didn't jibe.  When he entered the group shot at the end, it actually surprised me.
Interesting, I'd have to see it again because I didn't notice. You could be be right, I often miss those kinds of things.

While I'm at it, let me also point out  that as much as we like to pick on Woody for always placing his characters in sumptuous surroundings no matter their economic status, (Case in point Melinda and Melinda.)  Boris' flat is a dump.  An interesting floor plan, but a legitimate dump.
I didn't buy that. For one I didn't really think that place was much of a dump, and there is no way somebody that teaches chess to kids could afford a place like that in Manhattan. 

My last like.  In my humble opinion, Larry David, like Javier Bardem, has the rare ability of speaking the "Woody" lines without sounding like Woody.  Or, sounding like someone trying to sound like Woody, a la Branaugh in Celebrity.  In Barcelona, each of the main characters have scenes where they are called upon to "speak the Woody speak" usually for some comic effect.  Each of the four main characters (Clarkson for the fourth) sound like Woody, except for Bardem.  David has the same ability.  (And maybe Will Ferrell.)  Pretty amazing considering, with all of her time of collaboration, Mia Farrow never pulled that off.
I've never been a fan of the Woody surrogate, (not that I dislike all the movies that he uses one), I prefer it if he not use a proxy if he's not playing a role in the movie, like in Purple Rose of Cairo or Sweet and Lowdown. But I do agree that Larry did a pretty good job in the Woody role, which is kind of natural since Larry's persona is kind of his own brand of Woody-esque New York Jewish humour. With that said however, I think Larry struggled with some of his lines and is much funnier when he's doing his own thing.

What do you mean by Clarkson sounding like Woody? And your point about Mia Farrow, I don't think she ever tried to sound like him.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »
He's probably owned the place for 30 years, since back when he had money as a physicist or whatever we're supposed to buy him as.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »
He's probably owned the place for 30 years, since back when he had money as a physicist or whatever we're supposed to buy him as.
But there are those flashback scenes with his ex-wife (when he attempts suicide), no specific timeline is given, but it really didn't look like it was that long before the current story. Not that this really matters, the movie has much bigger problems than Boris' apartment and the cost of Manhattan housing.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:32:34 AM »
This film is pure, unadulterated, Woody Allen. Every single one of Allen's favorite motifs are crammed into this little gem. Oozing with his signature style, Allen has gone back to his roots filming in Manhattan and proving to all the doubters that he still, unquestionably, has the comic genius that he had when he began his career four decades ago. Perhaps the days of Allen acting out his neurotic, self-deprecating, pessimistic character are over, but he has found the perfect replacement in Larry David who carries the torch admirably. Some of the acting seemed a bit stiff, and the entire film felt more like a theater production, but it doesn't matter. It's all about the dialog and the wit, intelligence and cynicism with which Allen writes penetrates through and dominates. It's as if all the philosophy Allen has ever tried to convey about love and life in his past works was all tied up in a neat little package in this film and it can all be boiled down to 'Whatever Works'.

Sure, maybe there is nothing new here, but hell.. I like old Woody and enjoyed this movie.  Made me laugh a heck of a lot more than The Hangover.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

JadeInTheATL

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:00:04 AM »

I've never been a fan of the Woody surrogate, (not that I dislike all the movies that he uses one), I prefer it if he not use a proxy if he's not playing a role in the movie, like in Purple Rose of Cairo or Sweet and Lowdown. But I do agree that Larry did a pretty good job in the Woody role, which is kind of natural since Larry's persona is kind of his own brand of Woody-esque New York Jewish humour. With that said however, I think Larry struggled with some of his lines and is much funnier when he's doing his own thing.

What do you mean by Clarkson sounding like Woody? And your point about Mia Farrow, I don't think she ever tried to sound like him.

I guess most of the examples I used were when there is a Woody surrogate for the entire film, like Celebrity, Melinda and Melinda, or even Cusack in Bullets Over Broadway.  But even more than that, I tend to notice individuals given to "becoming Woody" for a particular scene in a lot of his films.  It may be just the result of the direction they are receiving.  After 20 takes, if Woody gave me an example of what he wanted, I would probably do a Woody impression too!  These moments are typified usually be nervous stuttering and such, but the dialog takes on the undeniable nebbish rhythm that in some folks mouths just comes out sounding like a bad Woody impression.  In VCB, Vicky, Christina, Clarkson and Bardem each have at least one such moment,  but Bardem is successful in making it his own, while the others, at least to me, sound like Woody.  I would have to go back and find some specific scenes, but if memory serves, one of the first times I noticed it was in Alice, with Mia becoming Woody momentarily.  (I need to go back and watch it so I can be more specific.)

JadeInTheATL

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 09:18:37 AM »
This film is pure, unadulterated, Woody Allen. Every single one of Allen's favorite motifs are crammed into this little gem. Oozing with his signature style, Allen has gone back to his roots filming in Manhattan and proving to all the doubters that he still, unquestionably, has the comic genius that he had when he began his career four decades ago.

I can remember watching The Curse of the Jade Scorpion and thinking, "Gosh, has Woody lost his ear for humor?"  The jokes seemed so antiquated.  I'm glad he's found his comic voice again over the last 5 or 6 films/years.  IMHO he's been on the up-swing since Anything Else. I wish Woody would discuss his craft more. I have to admit, I would love to know what parts of the 30 year old script were changed.  I think you liked this one even more than I did.  I still feel it is not quite up to his best directing and editing work, but the writing is great.

Looks like the return to Manhattan was brief.  His next project is back in London.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 03:43:46 PM »

I guess most of the examples I used were when there is a Woody surrogate for the entire film, like Celebrity, Melinda and Melinda, or even Cusack in Bullets Over Broadway.  But even more than that, I tend to notice individuals given to "becoming Woody" for a particular scene in a lot of his films.  It may be just the result of the direction they are receiving.  After 20 takes, if Woody gave me an example of what he wanted, I would probably do a Woody impression too!  These moments are typified usually be nervous stuttering and such, but the dialog takes on the undeniable nebbish rhythm that in some folks mouths just comes out sounding like a bad Woody impression.  In VCB, Vicky, Christina, Clarkson and Bardem each have at least one such moment,  but Bardem is successful in making it his own, while the others, at least to me, sound like Woody.  I would have to go back and find some specific scenes, but if memory serves, one of the first times I noticed it was in Alice, with Mia becoming Woody momentarily.  (I need to go back and watch it so I can be more specific.)
I see what you're saying, I thought you meant Mia had played the Woody proxy. As usual, I was confused.  :)

This film is pure, unadulterated, Woody Allen. Every single one of Allen's favorite motifs are crammed into this little gem. Oozing with his signature style, Allen has gone back to his roots filming in Manhattan and proving to all the doubters that he still, unquestionably, has the comic genius that he had when he began his career four decades ago. Perhaps the days of Allen acting out his neurotic, self-deprecating, pessimistic character are over, but he has found the perfect replacement in Larry David who carries the torch admirably. Some of the acting seemed a bit stiff, and the entire film felt more like a theater production, but it doesn't matter. It's all about the dialog and the wit, intelligence and cynicism with which Allen writes penetrates through and dominates. It's as if all the philosophy Allen has ever tried to convey about love and life in his past works was all tied up in a neat little package in this film and it can all be boiled down to 'Whatever Works'.

Sure, maybe there is nothing new here, but hell.. I like old Woody and enjoyed this movie.  Made me laugh a heck of a lot more than The Hangover.
Nice review, BlueVoid, I wish I had liked it as much as you. If you haven't already, be sure to introduce yourself.