love

Author Topic: Cinderella (1950)  (Read 18404 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Cinderella (1950)
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 11:45:26 AM »
But it's so overt, how can you not notice? The film showcases two flights of stairs in that house the entire time: the ones to Cinderella's room and the main flight of stairs. That's it. It's not a minor connection to make, it's incredibly noticeable and distracts from what is otherwise a very good film.

I never noticed it and I'm sure most others never noticed it. There are probably others like you who are annoyed by it, but it is no reason to let it detract from the overall experience of the film.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »
The step mother, the one who locked Cinderella in her room, is not going to care that a dog has just run through the room and up the steps? A woman who is so Hell bent on keeping Cinderella in her position isn't going to at least check out what is going on? Especially since the dog forcing open the door upstairs will not be silent. She would be all over that dog.

Why would she? She has bigger things going on right now and it's just a dog. The kicker is that in your world she should somehow be knowledgeable of the fact that some talking mice lifted the key from her and that the dog was then summoned to help Cinderella. Somehow a woman who has no idea that any of the fantasy elements of her world exist is supposed to jump to the wild conclusion of "Oh my god, the dog is going to help Cinderella escape!"

The thing is it is not edited properly. the dog hops in the door and then is magically in the stairs, despite needing to go through the room with the people to get there. He just gets in, the same with Lucifer, they just happen in there magically.

It's edited properly, but why do you continue to rag about the cat? We have no knowledge of where the cat is previously to seeing him outside Cinderella's door, why does it matter that he suddenly appears? Animals, especially cats, are fond of hiding out where no one notices them and then appearing all of a sudden, why must Lucifer be any different?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 11:59:04 AM »
Let's say she doesn't make the connection, even though I'm sure she'd want that door shut regardless, but let's say she does not make the connection. She would likely be embarrassed and want to get the dog back outside, where he is supposed to be. But fine, she doesn't make the connection despite obviously wanting to keep Cinderella contained. She should be taking every precaution to keep her up there, when a dog breaks down the first barrier between the others and Cinderella it makes sense that she would react.

As for the cat, it becomes a cheap surprise that is just tossed in rather than an overriding fear. It lessens his impact. If they make reference to Lucifer lying in wait then it heightens the entire scene that much more. As it stands it just feels like a cheap tactic to artificially raise the stakes.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 12:06:19 PM »
Let's say she doesn't make the connection, even though I'm sure she'd want that door shut regardless, but let's say she does not make the connection. She would likely be embarrassed and want to get the dog back outside, where he is supposed to be. But fine, she doesn't make the connection despite obviously wanting to keep Cinderella contained. She should be taking every precaution to keep her up there, when a dog breaks down the first barrier between the others and Cinderella it makes sense that she would react.

It's a freaking dog, it's not a threat to her, nor is it worthy of any attention when she is trying to get one of her daughters pawned off as a queen.

As for the cat, it becomes a cheap surprise that is just tossed in rather than an overriding fear. It lessens his impact. If they make reference to Lucifer lying in wait then it heightens the entire scene that much more. As it stands it just feels like a cheap tactic to artificially raise the stakes.

Or maybe, it's simply a cat being a cat and hanging out in weird places like cats do and thus isn't contrived at all like your scenario would be.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 12:08:48 PM »
A dog that, up until that point in the film, has done nothing more than sleep, suddenly darts through the house and forces open the door that leads to where Cinderella is locked doesn't seem the least bit suspicious?

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
A dog that, up until that point in the film, has done nothing more than sleep, suddenly darts through the house and forces open the door that leads to where Cinderella is locked doesn't seem the least bit suspicious?

No, because it's a dog, and dogs do things like that. But, most importantly, it's a freaking dog, it poses no threat to the step-mother. She doesn't know the animals are more than just animals and she has no reason to be suspicious of any of them, especially when it comes to unlocking the door to her step-daughter's room. Common sense man, you can't fear what you don't know about.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 12:16:06 PM »
But it would have needed to break open a door to get in there. Whether she knows about it or not she ought to have reacted in some way. hell, even if it was just her going up there to yell at the dog and put him back outside. He broke a door! I've lived with at least one dog in my house my entire life. Not once have any of them suddenly just got up, ran through the house, and forced open doors. Regardless of what I would be doing at the time I would go check that out.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 12:17:30 PM »
This is ridiculous. Just accept that the film uses editing to get around matter of physical space, and that you personally feel it is unwarranted and poorly executed in this case.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 12:19:01 PM »
But it would have needed to break open a door to get in there. Whether she knows about it or not she ought to have reacted in some way. hell, even if it was just her going up there to yell at the dog and put him back outside. He broke a door! I've lived with at least one dog in my house my entire life. Not once have any of them suddenly just got up, ran through the house, and forced open doors. Regardless of what I would be doing at the time I would go check that out.

You don't operate in reality. People ignore their dogs all the time, usually when they are preoccupied with a temporary guest like the step-mother is. If the dog is doing something that could cause upset for the guest then action will be taken usually, but if it's just a dog doing something annoying you finish with your guest and handle the dog later. Especially when you are in the middle of trying to make one of your daughters queen and to the best of your knowledge it's just a dog, and even if he got through one door he's not about to unlock a human door, because he's a freaking dog.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 01:14:37 PM »
FLY, you can be my publicist anytime. 

Right when I think the Disney Animation Marathon is dying on the vine, you provoke a lengthy discussion about the editing of a very suspenseful sequence.

I noticed your point, but ultimately didn't care too much.  Maybe because I'm too hung up on the equally inconsequential point that Lucifer clearly plummets to his death in the end, and the rest of the film glides past it.

But I'm glad your debate with Bill (aka. "whatever his name is at this current hour") dragged FroHam into the discussion.