love

Author Topic: Top 5 Things Movie Trailers Need to Stop Doing  (Read 10800 times)

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
Re: Top 5 Things Movie Trailers Need to Stop Doing
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 03:27:56 PM »
Sucking.
A$AP Fables

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 12:35:25 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7KOQRLpuNI#
Generally speaking, I prefer trailers with no voiceover at all, but the worst in when the narrator breaks all his sentences in like three-word phrases with long, long gaps between them.

Now .... an unexpected attraction ............................ will lead him to a temptation ............................................ he can't escape ........................................................ and a mistake .................................... he can't erase.

Make it stop!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 01:04:18 AM »
I saw two genuinely good trailers that really made me interested in seeing the movies--one was for the Australian exploitation movie documentary Not Quite Hollywood (lots of clips, snippets of Quentin Tarantino going on about how great the movies are,
and  :o boobies :o !!!!  Gotta love those redband trailers.

The other one was for In the Loop and I'm really hoping it didn't include everything funny from the movie because the editing of the trailers was so cool, it was almost a standalone 3-minute comedy bit.

Definitely looking forward to both movies now.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 07:14:41 AM »
I saw two genuinely good trailers that really made me interested in seeing the movies--one was for the Australian exploitation movie documentary Not Quite Hollywood (lots of clips, snippets of Quentin Tarantino going on about how great the movies are,
and  :o boobies :o !!!!  Gotta love those redband trailers.

Not Quite Hollywood probably isn't the greatest "documentary" because it's mostly just stories of how all those films were made. But it really works to get you pumped to watch all sorts of Ozploitation. One definitely problem, at least when I saw it, was that QT was in it too much. A bit of QT here and there is always welcome, but too much is a bit annoying.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 07:05:30 PM »
Movie trailers should try to only use scenes from the first act of the movie.

In my opinion the best trailers use only one scene

I've noticed that most romantic comedy trailers include the "get back together" hug that happens at the end of the film.  Sometimes it's even the last shot of the movie.

Yep.  Hate that.    Fever Pitch had the shot of them kissing ON THE FIELD AT FENWAY!!!???? HELLLOOOOOO SPOILER!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:06:35 PM by pixote »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »
We have real spoiler tags now.  Use the magic button.

pixote

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »
We have real spoiler tags now.  Use the magic button.

pixote

WAY COOL
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 05:41:01 PM »
They need to stop having anything to do with the film itself. Show me the main actor going to the bathroom for 30 seconds and then put your film's name afterwards. Maybe I'm just weird.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 03:41:05 AM »
Three movie in two days: Inglorious Basterds, Hurt Locker and District 9.  The previews for IB were a bunch of testoterone-filled brainless action movies.  Previews for HL were this summers crop of hipster/indie stuff (Adam, The Cove, It Might Get Loud) and for District 9 tonight I was subjected to no fewer than SEVEN trailers, half of which were horror movies.  UGH.   I guess I never put much thought before into which movies get which trailers.  Based on this, you'd have to think Hurt Locker was the best movie of the three, right?

So I've never hidden my despising of trailers.  Give me the title, the director, and about 7 seconds of slideshow of stills from the movie.  Taht's all I need.  This way they can give me 7 trailers in less than a minute.

I need to start asking at the ticket counter what the actual start time is.  do they know that? 
(switchboard)

love