Author Topic: The Island (2005)  (Read 1253 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
The Island (2005)
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:47:05 PM »
The Island is one of the few true big concept sci-fi movies of this last decade. It's about an entirely unique world that we as an audience cannot make assumptions about because we've never seen anything like it. The movie spends a lot of time covering the logistics of the world, like when Ewan McGregors pee gets analyzed and how that translates to what he gets served for breakfast. Everything on The Island is different and needs to be explained. The movie is more than just an adventure story laid over a recognizable environment (Star Trek, War of the Worlds, etc). That's just part of what I find so satisfying about it. It doesn't matter that some of the ideas are batshit crazy, or don't add up. It throws it out there and it's interesting to think about a world where things like this could exists.

(You found Star Trek recognisable? Really?)

Thinking about what you said and what this movie was doing, I kinda have to agree with Froham about how much I think this world is derivative, but he didn't mention what I think is the obvious choice. This film, whether intentionally or not, takes sooo much from Minority Report. The feel Bay tries to recreate is almost indentical, but I love what Minority Report is dealing with so well, the way murders are a sum of the events, and how emotions have to be a part of lawmaking, not just the act itself. However, I feel as though Bay really undermines the issue at hand, Cloning, by forgetting the emotional and philosophical reality (you don't need both in a movie, but one would be nice) of this issue, and instead portraying all of his characters as black and white figures.

Also the characters are easy to care about. They're hapless, wide-eyed, and good natured people who are being treated unfairly. Watching them stir shit up on and off The Island is entertaining. And the twist is fun. IIRC we don't find out until McGregor does (though we suspect something like it all along). And it kind of keeps the whole movie from becoming tiresome because now it's a whole new environment again.  

For me, I did not sympathise with them. I didn't hate them, but Bay, once again, forgets to find the humanity of these people, and they become nothing more then the sum of their situation. They are simply mindless people with certain quircks, which annoyed the hell out of me. But this means that, if the people aren't human, or sympathetic, then they have to be compelling, which these characters aren't in my opinion.

So on top of having sympathetic characters, humorous situations, and very enjoyable action sequences, it really covers a lot of details and fascinating ideas. Yes it's a Bay movie, yes it's big and 'splody, but it's also science-fiction on a level we very rarely get to see these days.

i didn't really find it funny, found those bits distracting, and I hated the action scenes. And i'd say it;s not at any interesting level whatsoever.

The Island is Michael Bay's best film. The Rock and Armageddon are also satisfying (in different ways).

I can only say it's worse then Transformers. I haven't seen the rest.

(PS, Keith? Bolded poriton? Get on that.)
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: The Island (2005)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »
(You found Star Trek recognisable? Really?)

In the sense that I already knew the rules of the Star Trek world, yes. I knew what their ships could do, I knew what the people on the bridge were for, I knew what the federation was, etc. These things are just part of pop culture knowledge. Nobody is surprised when they go to warp, teleport or shoot a phaser. So in that way there's not a lot to be discovered. Also, on a more generic level, we've all seen plenty of space adventure/battle movies before. It's not a new environment.

The Island on the other hand is a mystery from top to bottom. Even mundane things like how doors open, how people greet each other, and why there is security everywhere. Everything you take in is a discovery of this completely unfamiliar place. This is a major part of what made The Island so satisfying.

Thinking about what you said and what this movie was doing, I kinda have to agree with Froham about how much I think this world is derivative, but he didn't mention what I think is the obvious choice. This film, whether intentionally or not, takes sooo much from Minority Report. The feel Bay tries to recreate is almost indentical, but I love what Minority Report is dealing with so well, the way murders are a sum of the events, and how emotions have to be a part of lawmaking, not just the act itself. However, I feel as though Bay really undermines the issue at hand, Cloning, by forgetting the emotional and philosophical reality (you don't need both in a movie, but one would be nice) of this issue, and instead portraying all of his characters as black and white figures.

When people (myself included) enjoy a movie that happens to have borrowed elements they call it an homage, or inspired work, and when they don't like it they call it a rip-off or stealing. But all that really matters is whether or not the film is any good. We're not the similarity police, we're the audience. Comparisons can be made but when it's all said and done can the movie stand on it's own two feet? I happen to think this one does. It's not a deep or contemplative as Minority Report, but it does enough to give the movie a thought-provoking quality. I know you feel differently.

Also the characters are easy to care about. They're hapless, wide-eyed, and good natured people who are being treated unfairly. Watching them stir shit up on and off The Island is entertaining. And the twist is fun. IIRC we don't find out until McGregor does (though we suspect something like it all along). And it kind of keeps the whole movie from becoming tiresome because now it's a whole new environment again.  
For me, I did not sympathise with them. I didn't hate them, but Bay, once again, forgets to find the humanity of these people, and they become nothing more then the sum of their situation. They are simply mindless people with certain quircks, which annoyed the hell out of me. But this means that, if the people aren't human, or sympathetic, then they have to be compelling, which these characters aren't in my opinion.
On this issue we just seem to have had a different experience. McGregor and Scar-Jo were lovable imo.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:08:58 AM by smirnoff »

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: The Island (2005)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »
I saw the Island in the theater and it was an enjoyable enough experience - I certainly didn't find myself in Transformers II territory. I thought Ewan and Scarlett were fun to watch.
Hey, nice marmot!

love