Are you an apologist?

Yes
23 (50%)
No
20 (43.5%)
Don't insult me.
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Are you an apologist?  (Read 19415 times)

flieger

Re: Are you an apologist?
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2009, 01:12:30 AM »
Hooray! I do love it, cheese and all.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2009, 04:23:56 AM »
The AV Club had a discussion about who gets a "lifetime pass" - http://www.avclub.com/articles/who-gets-a-lifetime-pass,27417/ - and for me that's Michael Mann, which leads me into defending Miami Vice with the vast majority of movie-watchers.

How do you feel about Public Enemies?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

flieger

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2009, 04:36:46 AM »
Fantastic!
Thought the cinematography of Dante Spinotti didn't have the same bite as Dion Beebe. The masculine melodrama typical of Mann was a little more hard-edged. I didn't come out of the cinema tingling with glee at the glorious absurdity of it all like with his other action flicks, so maybe I have to watch it again to really concentrate on where he was going with this one.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2009, 05:17:43 AM »
For me there are a few directors and even some actors (and quite a few musicians) that always act as a major hook to get me to see a movie (or buy an album), but seriously if I don't like it I won't try and make an excuse for that particular clunker, but I will wait impatiently for the next release. Life is too short to waste your time defending something you know deep down really is a load of rubbish!

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

flieger

« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2009, 05:54:21 AM »
I've got your number, Tim: Peter Greenaway. Michael Nyman. Philip Glass. Pauly Shore.  :)

Tim

• Elite Member
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2009, 06:19:41 AM »
rofl, I think it is time Pauly started apologising - his presence is always a good indicator of a clunker.

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

flieger

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2009, 06:30:59 AM »
So you're saying you wouldn't forego the Greenaway lecture/Q&A for an Encino Man night? Hmmm, interesting...

Tim

• Elite Member
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2009, 07:40:03 AM »
So you're saying you wouldn't forego the Greenaway lecture/Q&A for an Encino Man night? Hmmm, interesting...

Perhaps I could ask Peter Greenaway to give his opinion of Encino Man - although I fear it may come across offensively..... :D

flieger

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2009, 04:22:32 PM »
He'll be a closet fan, and giggle girlishly at the antics of Pauly and co.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 04:37:01 PM by flieger »

flieger

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2009, 05:22:02 PM »
You have me intrigued now Tim: which other directors AND actors do you often apologise for? Greenaway was the obvious one, but who else [apart from Tim Roth]?

love