Author Topic: Bathroom breaks during the movie  (Read 5379 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: Bathroom breaks during the movie
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 08:27:51 PM »
Meh.  I would appreciate it just for the experience of going to movies with little kids (who generally can't hold it for 90 minutes let alone 2 hours or more) and the extra time it takes to wrangle them as opposed to scoot out by oneself for a quick break (TMI: I usually need at least one break in a movie that runs over 2 hours myself).  That might also be the reason for the movies they deem as "classic" plus the assumption that something like Pirates would still be showing up in theatres--those free 10 AM Tuesday or Wednesday older movies that some theaters run during summer vacations.

It is what it is, and some people will find it useful.  It's not like most of the movies that they mention are high art where every frame must be appreiciated.  Most are the disposable entertainment products that this site treats them as, with big gaps between plot points that need to be seen.

On the other end of the scale there are older people who are much of the audience for many of the "prestige" releases which also tend to run long, and who also have a hard time waiting the full running time for a potty break.  Don't like it? Don't use it and hold your water as you prefer.  No biggie.

Don't see the need to get all worked up about it.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 08:38:08 PM »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 08:30:43 PM »

What!!!! I can't believe you!!! I am writing my congressman as I type this and I will be picketing the bathroom at my local multiplex.  >:(
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
I go to the bathroom after the movie is done or before the movie starts.  If there's an intermission, I'll do it.  Plus, I don't buy popcorn or drinks.  It's enough that I already paid for the ticket.
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 10:35:49 AM »
I go to the bathroom after the movie is done or before the movie starts.  If there's an intermission, I'll do it.  Plus, I don't buy popcorn or drinks.  It's enough that I already paid for the ticket.

I sneak into the theater and then buy the consessions - the theater makes more this way.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »

yeah, theatres make almost nothing on your ticket.  i've been out of the business for awhile, and didn't do booking, but my understanding is that on opening the theatre keeps 5-15% of box office, depending on the film - obviously the bigger films they will keep less of (because they want those films and have to give up to get).  as the run goes on their % increases.  so, if you actually value a local theatre it is a good thing to buy something from the concession stand
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 11:03:07 AM »

yeah, theatres make almost nothing on your ticket.  i've been out of the business for awhile, and didn't do booking, but my understanding is that on opening the theatre keeps 5-15% of box office, depending on the film - obviously the bigger films they will keep less of (because they want those films and have to give up to get).  as the run goes on their % increases.  so, if you actually value a local theatre it is a good thing to buy something from the concession stand

because of this, it suprises me that more theatres dont serve alcohol. i never buy any of the junk food shit, but damned if my party wouldnt drop $25 for a bottle of wine. These theatres are starting to pop up a little more in the Seattle area, and its pretty great.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 11:26:18 AM »

because of this, it suprises me that more theatres dont serve alcohol. i never buy any of the junk food shit, but damned if my party wouldnt drop $25 for a bottle of wine. These theatres are starting to pop up a little more in the Seattle area, and its pretty great.

Judging from the beer bottle I occasionally see on the men's room floor I would agree.  I'm sure its an issue with creating a seperate space for drinkers and those under age along with insurance and liability issues.  Also you can't have teenagers serving which is the majority of the consession stand work force.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »
yeah, in seattle there are two models that Ive seen.

the first is called THe Big Picture or something like that, and its a 21 and older underground bar, lounge, and theatre. Its fully stocked so you can get something like a martini, with relatively small liquid volume for bladder purposes thatll get you a good buzz. This is nice, but obviously not a business model that can be viable for 15 screens.

the other is cinebarre, which is all ages and has a somewhat typical concession stand, but you can sit at a series of barstools as well and get drinks. When buying the alcohol, its customary to tip, thus there is more incentive for slightly older people to work there. otherwise it handles the same capacity of people as any multiplex

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »

This is very true.  I took a year off during grad school and worked as a secretary at Paramount Pictures'  Atlanta distribution office.  That was 1989-90 so obviously this could be way out of date now (geez 20 years ago already!)  but for the big releases like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Days of Thunder (well they *thought* it would be a big release) the contracts showed Paramount's take to be 90% of the ticket sales totals for the first 3 weeks of release, then dropping 5-10% a week after that.  

OTOH the theaters could make quite a bit of money on a film expected to be smaller but that turns out to be a sleeper.  Paramount could get what it wants for a big movie like Indiana Jones because everyone wants to book it but for other movies they had lower contracts.  The best movie for theatre profits during the year I worked there was Ghost, because it was the 3rd tier July release of that summer (both Days of Thunder and Another 48 Hours were May/June movies and had been disappointing).  The contracts on that started at 90% but only for the first week and were down to much lower percentages by the 3rd week, but that movie just built and built on word of mouth and did business well into the fall.  It was still playing in some of the big multiplexes in November and got pushed out by the Christmas releases.  Most movies don't get a chance to build an audience like that anymore.

Anyway, yeah, the theatre itself makes all their money on concessions, pretty much.  That's why the biggest items are popcorn and soda because they are the most profitable when you look at cost to the theatre vs. what they sell it for.

love