love

Author Topic: A Look At Gene Kelly  (Read 13885 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: A Look At Gene Kelly
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 07:33:56 AM »
Good lad.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
I sure like this thread.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »
This is just creepy. Surely, there's another way of conveying that...

lol, good stuff.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 08:52:54 AM »
That's a young Dean Stockwell, btw.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 04:54:41 AM »
That's a young Dean Stockwell, btw.

Poor kid.  Always typecast as the boy with green hair.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 10:28:49 PM »

The Pirate Vincente Minnelli, 1948

The Pirate is a film about fantasies, repressed desires, acting, artifice, and a bunch of other shit. Judy Garland plays a young woman who gets off on the stories of the great Macoco, a pirate. She dreams of being taken captive by Macoco and living a life of adventure and romance out on the open seas. However, she lives in a boring ass town where she has to live and proper existence when  underneath it "there are depths of emotion, romantic longings, unfulfilled dreams." She is set to be engaged to the mayor of the town, some random fat dude who has secrets of his own. Anyway, Gene Kelly, the pimpest motherCINECAST!er in existence, shows up. He's an actor named Serafin and before doing a performance, he struts his stuff around the town and macks on all the ladies. He's unstoppable. This is actually one of my favorite musical numbers ever. The way he lilts his voice higher and higher whenever he says "Nina!" is so goddamn charming. I love the way he eyes the honeys up and down, charms them, and dumps them. Truly masculine behavior. Look at his butt, though. Dude's fit. Wait, what.... Uh, watch it!

Watch that damn cigarette trick he does. That shit's tuff! Anyway, of course, Kelly will fall for Garland. He does this by pretending that he's Macoco, the great pirate that she loves. He acts out his role so well that he has the whole town believing that the entire town is about to be burned to the ground! Anyway, although I love Gene Kelly's sexy strut in this film (and the hilarity that comes later--he has a CINECAST!ing whip!), this is Garland's show. She longs for a life of adventure, but everything around her is all decorated and proper jive ass nonsense. This leads her to repress all her sexual desires. Part of the charm of the film is how Garland's character basically turns out to have an uncontrollable sex drive. She's so turned on by the sight of Gene Kelly grandstanding as Macoco that she has a great orgiastic vision that's pure SEX. Gene Kelly lays siege to Garland's defenses and gets her all hot and bothered. Why else do you think there's so much fire and explosions?

The film even goes to the lengths of having actually having Garland get all crazy and shit and destroy her oppressive environment. This is in the guise of being mad at Kelly, but the truth is she loves the play acting. She loves the performance. roujin loves seeing Judy Garland throw shit all over the place.

Anyway, I love this film. It makes me smile and feel all giddy. It makes me question my numerous day dreams of raping and pillaging foreign lands in all the guise of finding ONE PIECE. It makes me question my very identity. Is this all for show? Are you just acting, roujin?

Well, fantasies come true.

flieger

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 11:16:29 PM »
The Pirate is so great, especially the subtext.

What's next?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 11:37:12 PM »
The Three Musketeers.

I have no idea what to expect. Should be fun!

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 01:09:24 AM »
The Pirate is one of my favorites.

Three Musketeers is not.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
I hope to get this back on track soon enough. I have spent too much time away from this man.