love

Author Topic: A Look At Gene Kelly  (Read 13883 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: A Look At Gene Kelly
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »
I haven't heard any good songs in the three episodes of Smash I've seen.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog is the best written musical of the last decade.  But Joss Whedon's making superhero movies instead of musicals.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »
Potentially more controversial statement:  the reason we don't have good musicals anymore isn't because we're lacking good musical performers, but because we're lacking good musical songwriters and directors.

That's wrong isn't it? It wouldn't matter how good Mark Sandrich was a director without Astaire and Rogers, and Minelli could auteur his backside off but that still wouldn't mean a thang without the Kelly swing. Don't take auteur theory that far.

I appreciate you said "controversial  statement".

Without a music hall (UK)/ vaudeville(US) tradition these physical performers can't develop. It would take a specific TV programme these days to promote these talents, but short attention span tends not to let difficult skills like dancing develop.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:49:08 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 12:47:33 PM »
Broadway still seems to be churning out musicals, but I can't say how good any of them are.  I assume they have some pretty good performers though.

You need a certain level of competence to be a good musical director.  True, not everyone is Busby Berkeley.  But the most successful musical director of recent times, Rob Marshall, would struggle to reach Mark Sandrich's level, let alone George Sidney.

As for auteurism, compare Anchors Aweigh to On the Town and tell me all you need is Gene Kelly.  ;)
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »
I think I like Anchors Aweigh I'm just so old, I can't rely on my memory. That's why I don't swim in these shark infested waters. Ahoy!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
Potentially more controversial statement:  the reason we don't have good musicals anymore isn't because we're lacking good musical performers, but because we're lacking good musical songwriters and directors.

You just need to listen to the scores of shows like The Book Of Mormon, The Producers, Next To Normal, The Drowsy Chaperone, A Catered Affair, Passing Strange, Catch Me If You Can, Avenue Q, and Urinetown, all from the 21st Century, to know that is not true.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:14 PM »
Could be.  Parker & Stone's South Park movie is the second best-written musical of the last 15 years.

I don't think I've heard anything from those others, but really, Urinetown?  Lemme guess, the next Cole Porter?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

love